Mojave Mojave upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtcrane

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hello, new to the forum! Looking to make a decision on what to upgrade first. I’ve never done a motor/ESC swap and I’m looking to either upgrade my Mojave to 8s or Vendetta to 6s. Now, I’ve heard that I can just go ESC upgrade and leave the stock motor in the Vendetta and that will give me some more speed without doing anything crazy. I’m not looking for 100+ just want a little more lol. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated! And what are some good Mojave upgrades? Any recommendations? Thank you!

Hello, new to the forum! Looking to make a decision on what to upgrade first. I’ve never done a motor/ESC swap and I’m looking to either upgrade my Mojave to 8s or Vendetta to 6s. Now, I’ve heard that I can just go ESC upgrade and leave the stock motor in the Vendetta and that will give me some more speed without doing anything crazy. I’m not looking for 100+ just want a little more lol. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated! And what are some good Mojave upgrades? Any recommendations? Thank you!
For the Mojave, I would either go a hobbywing max6 combo or a castle XLX2 combo. Have fun!

Yeah I’m not looking for extreme speed but some speed and still bash. Let’s be real the Mojave is fun as hell to hit jumps and what not. I’m more just looking to upgrade something so that I can learn more about what I’m doing. So maybe the Mojave isn’t the best starting point and I should stick to the Venfraction. 🤷‍♂️

There is a such thing as too much power.

I personally run the HW Max8 G2 + 4278SD 2250kV motor on 4S. It's more than enough for scale racing with other 1/7 scale desert racers or if you want to just bash. It's a sight to see when you're racing around a dirt construction lot with the Traxxas UDR, Losi Hammer Rey, Losi RZR Rey and other 1/7 scale-ish desert racers, even without the need to send it to the moon. Watching the car bound and seeing the suspension work is addicting to do on 4S.

To be honest, the stock Spektrum 2050kv motor works great on 6S for high speed bashing and 4S for dirt road bashing with friends.

Last edited:
I wouldn't put an XLX2 in a Mojave. Unless you convert it to an extreme speedrunner, you'll be better of with an MMX8S esc.
A Max6 is not a comparison to the XLX2. It can't even match the performance of the MMX8S.
Very first upgrade for the Mojave is going to Fr and Rr ALLOY chassis braces, hands down.
+1
Just that Mojave runs fine on 6s power no matter the choice of ESC to go to. Just me. 8s power is overkill and will destroy the drive train much easier. I run the Speed gear in mine and is plenty fast enough for this XLWB chassis. In the dirt/grass or street. Work on a good motor fan solution as well. This is always a given no matter the model you have. I don't use the Heatsink. I rather have double fans on a "fan mount" blowing directly at the motor, Runs cooler this way. My temp gun does not lie. You need a temp gun in your RC toolbox as well, if you don't already.

Mojave is not truly a send it type of platform, being a SCT/Desert type scale racer. Low jumping is great and fine. Just not 50 ft big air. Yet many do. I feel that is silly. You get poor mid air rotation with this Model for obvious reasons. You will just be replacing Body mounts and bumpers constantly.
If you are Influenced by all the YT RC'ers out there who do this, don't be.

Search around for Mojave threads here and look at how many chassis are upgraded for ideas. I did use all M2C chassis and JBI towers FWIW, but wasn't necessary in retrospect. But again, the plastic stocker Fr and Rr braces must be replaced with alloy ones. There are many out there. Your wallet will decide. They are pretty much all good as long as they are keyed to the chassis.
>>> A center Arrma Metal upgrade diff is recommended. As they get quite hot. Also I suggest you run 60k front/ 500k Center and 20-30k CST oils in all the diffs. The Mojave will liven up big time. Will have way more power and speed. Will hook up better. So just jumping to 8s electrics is Not needed.

>>> Just make sure the alloy braces you choose are in fact "Keyed" into the chassis like the stocker plastic ones are. The EXB Arrma ones are not "keyed" for some odd reason. Very Important IMHO.

I also made a clear Lexan windshield for my Mojave. Keeps the nose down and planted more. Many also do this. Less captured air inside the cockpit. Leaving the side windows Open for air relief.
BTW , I found the stocker tires to be best, after all said and done. Tried many. I stay with the Very durable stocker wheels now. Best bite/traction overall. Arrma did this well.
:cool:
Edited.

Last edited:
8s power is overkill and will destroy the dirvetrain easier. I run the Speed gear in mine and is plenty fast enough for this XLWB chassis.
Lol I'm with you but you're talking to the wrong crowd. They will send a 1/12 scale FMS Suzuki Jimny on 4S if they could.
Mojave is not truly a send it type of platform, being a SCT/Desert type scale racer. Low jumping is great and fine. Just not 50 ft big air. Yet many do. I feel that is silly. You get poor mid air rotation with this Model for obvious reasons.
Yeah it's meant to be a scale basher and not meant for ramps. Just bashing in the dirt with scale handling and jumps. It was ARRMA's answer to the Traxxas UDR.

Very first upgrade for the Mojave is going to Fr and Rr ALLOY chassis braces, hands down.
+1
Just that Mojave runs fine on 6s power no matter the choice of ESC to go to. Just me. 8s power is overkill and will destroy the drive train much easier. I run the Speed gear in mine and is plenty fast enough for this XLWB chassis. In the dirt/grass or street. Work on a good motor fan solution as well. This is always a given no matter the model you have. I don't use the Heatsink. I rather have double fans on a "fan mount" blowing directly at the motor, Runs cooler this way. My temp gun does not lie. You need a temp gun in your RC toolbox as well, if you don't already.

Mojave is not truly a send it type of platform, being a SCT/Desert type scale racer. Low jumping is great and fine. Just not 50 ft big air. Yet many do. I feel that is silly. You get poor mid air rotation with this Model for obvious reasons. You will just be replacing Body mounts and bumpers constantly.
If you are Influenced by all the YT RC'ers out there who do this, don't be.

Search around for Mojave threads here and look at how many chassis are upgraded for ideas. I did use all M2C chassis and JBI towers FWIW, but wasn't necessary in retrospect. But again, the plastic stocker Fr and Rr braces must be replaced with alloy ones. There are many out there. Your wallet will decide. They are pretty much all good as long as they are keyed to the chassis.
>>> A center Arrma Metal upgrade diff is recommended. As they get quite hot. Also I suggest you run 60k front/ 500k Center and 20-30k CST oils in all the diffs. The Mojave will liven up big time. Will have way more power and speed. Will hook up better. So just jumping to 8s electrics is Not needed.

>>> Just make sure the alloy braces you choose are in fact "Keyed" into the chassis like the stocker plastic ones are. The EXB Arrma ones are not "keyed" for some odd reason. Very Important IMHO.

I also made a clear Lexan windshield for my Mojave. Keeps the nose down and planted more. Many also do this. Less captured air inside the cockpit. Leaving the side windows Open for air relief.
BTW , I found the stocker tires to be best, after all said and done. Tried many. I stay with the Very durable stocker wheels now. Best bite/traction overall. Arrma did this well.
:cool:
Edited.
A lot of good info, thank you!
Lol I'm with you but you're talking to the wrong crowd. They will send a 1/12 scale FMS Suzuki Jimny on 4S if they could.

Yeah it's meant to be a scale basher and not meant for ramps. Just bashing in the dirt with scale handling and jumps. It was ARRMA's answer to the Traxxas UDR.
Yeah, I guess by “jumps” I mean grass ramps and what not. Nothing crazy, trying to land on tires lol.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back