My crazy idea for reinforcing body

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my fear as well, that the drywall tape would block too much of the Gorilla adhesive. I'd probably try it on a test piece of something first. If you're saying Gorilla tape can peel off, wow! Or are you referring to drywall tape peeling off?

SG + drywall tape just in certain areas seems like an interesting idea. Also quicker and less added weight, vs trying to coat the whole body with it.
Yes, the gorilla tape peeled of my body. I’ll attach a picture of my most recent body. I would love to see you try it, let me know how it goes! The shoe goo can be messy if you don’t setup correct. You can PM me if you’d like a few tips from my experience, I’m not an expert but I’ve had some practice. I’m great at wrecking bodies.

image.jpg

This is a bit less than I usually do, but it isn’t my hardest bash body.

I'll never use shoe goo again,so messy an stinks bad..when I go all out reinforced body,I'll use the drywall mesh,secure it with hot glue,an fill worst spots an seams with hot glue..then put at least 5 coats of flex-seal on it till mesh is filled a secure everywhere..flex seal was a gamechanger for me though.
Thread 'Spraying chassis with flex-seal' https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/spraying-chassis-with-flex-seal.46777/
I even tried this lmfao
Thread 'Sprayed closed cell foam 4 TOUGH BODY!!!!!' https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/sprayed-closed-cell-foam-4-tough-body.28952/

View attachment 269456
Nearly choked on coffee upon seeing this! :LOL: Man, your not playing around! If that fails for some reason, just run the cinder block as a body..problem solved!:LOL:

Nearly choked on coffee upon seeing this! :LOL: Man, your not playing around! If that fails for some reason, just run the cinder block as a body..problem solved!:LOL:
The foam has strong,just didn't adhere to body good enough,after some crashs foam started busting off in chunks....F seal has worked best for me,I've tried everything mentioned above

If that fails for some reason, just run the cinder block as a body..problem solved!:LOL:

What about just adding some mounting points, on the cinder block, for the suspension and drivetrain? Drill a few holes for the driveshafts, and away you go! You'll never bend your chassis again. And if you bust it into a million pieces, stop by Home Depot and pick up a new chassis on the way home.

My god the closed cell foam is hilarious, what lengths people go to. I wish they made a composite body like the fire team, is that what that is?
Thanks for the thread on body reinforcement. Well good info on the shoe goo, I was really in love with the idea.
I just wish Arrma was reading this thread.
So does anyone know of a glue that would stick to this plastic? What about adding little dabs of epoxy or superglue all over the inside of the body, then building layers of something on that?
After every ones response Im kinda just thinking of replacing the body when it goes bad. Its funny Im looking at my Kyosho body from my Stinger (80's) and its in pretty good shape only the rear is cracked and I used double sided tape and it worked pretty good.
I'm really wanting to try this 3m spray adhesive idea the stuff is amazing. But once again, I don't know if this is the right word, but this type or any type of plastic is "contaminated", the pores are saturated and nothing will stick to it. Maybe sanding it then putting dabs of epoxy might give a "mechanical" set of mounting points.

After every ones response Im kinda just thinking of replacing the body when it goes bad. Its funny Im looking at my Kyosho body from my Stinger (80's) and its in pretty good shape only the rear is cracked and I used double sided tape and it worked pretty good.
I'm really wanting to try this 3m spray adhesive idea the stuff is amazing. But once again, I don't know if this is the right word, but this type or any type of plastic is "contaminated", the pores are saturated and nothing will stick to it. Maybe sanding it then putting dabs of epoxy might give a "mechanical" set of mounting points.

I'm in a somewhat similar boat, my last RC truck (a long time ago) never actually needed a new body. So perhaps they last a little longer than I'm fearing, based on reading about this? I want to say my new-truck's body is thinner than that old one, but that might actually make it more resilient (able to bend, rather than crack).

I do like the idea of the Flex Seal, just for simplicity. Want to help protect your body? OK, it's gonna take 10 minutes (or whatever). Rather than painstakingly cutting and applying tape, then spreading Shoe Goo everywhere :)

And what you mention makes sense to me, for adhesion. Maybe lightly scuffing the inside with fine sandpaper (don't go through the paint or anything), then clean it thoroughly? Might need to test rubbing alcohol on a small area first, but either alcohol or warm water and dish soap would seem worth trying, to give a good surface for adhesion.

I always though rubbing alcohol removed pretty much any oil. On my 3D printer's bed, alcohol is usually enough to clean it. But sometimes it needs hot water and Dawn dish soap, to remove whatever invisible stuff the alcohol wouldn't fix.

What about just adding some mounting points, on the cinder block, for the suspension and drivetrain? Drill a few holes for the driveshafts, and away you go! You'll never bend your chassis again. And if you bust it into a million pieces, stop by Home Depot and pick up a new chassis on the way home.
I've seen some of these guys driving style ....might be a good option for some. :LOL:

Spray adhesive? Is that similar to "Flex Seal"? Cause I've definitely considered that.

Just not sure how good it would stick.
I used flex seal over sheet rock tape on my mojave. Seems to be holding up well.

Yea I should have just done that. I think I may have gotten carbon fiber in my eye, crap.
But here it is, the start of my composite layer build.

20230117_143506.jpg

20230117_143432.jpg

Look guys...were now talking about spending $50.00 on preserving a $35.00 body :LOL: I'm pretty sure K- bash has it figured out since he has a cinder block on his. Just get his address, go there, get in line and have him spray it with his magic wand! Thread closed!:LOL:

Its all fun and good till ur pain pulls out.. if the adhesive holds on its the paint that is going to go. Ask me how i know. Even the factory paint pulls off specially on the edges of corners where you try to pack shoegoe in. My corvette c8 body who is painted with tamiya ps paint started to flake off under heavy impact
The best to this day is shoe goe and dry wall. 2 coats of them and u should be good. My exb body is 2 years old and still going.

Yea I was thinking first crash everything delaminates. Its basically about making things more complicated. Bodies were 60 bucks I thought. But I should go that route its ridiculous. Now I have carbon fiber strands from cross cutting the fabric, this thin dust like hair released into the air and got in my eye, just a few. Now I have to got to er. Always cut CF in a bag. dammit.

Yea I was thinking first crash everything delaminates. Its basically about making things more complicated. Bodies were 60 bucks I thought. But I should go that route its ridiculous. Now I have carbon fiber strands from cross cutting the fabric, this thin dust like hair released into the air and got in my eye, just a few. Now I have to got to er. Always cut CF in a bag. dammit.
Outch

Yikes, that's awful, I'm sorry. But thank you for the tips, I've never worked with carbon fiber. Good luck!!
I'm pretty sure K- bash has it figured out since he has a cinder block on his. Just get his address, go there, get in line and have him spray it with his magic wand! Thread closed!:LOL:

OK, now, hear me out: a cinder block, sprayed with WD-40 to soften it, then coated with a base layer of drywall tape, then Shoe Goo, and finished off with a coat of Flex Seal.

Could you glue two bodies together with shoe goo?
Wouldn't be a good fit as both bodies are the same size. One would have to be slightly smaller than the other.

Back