Question for you experienced painters…

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velodromed

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton 4s
  5. Notorious
  6. Outcast 4s
  7. Vorteks
  8. Voltage
  9. Infraction 4x4
I want to do my proline jeep gladiator body in a fire orange color of sorts. If I put a few coats of spaz candy orange, then a coat or two of spaz fluorescent fire red…would I get fire orange or would the fluorescent red override the orange? Should I maybe use a different red? Lastly, what should I back it with to achieve the most ‘pop’?

Thanks guys, I appreciate your help and advice as always!

69CB8067-E4D5-4B8F-B1C5-505A2FA3CAE7.png

63B3AD30-FF55-456A-97F0-709CB823D73F.png

Thanks guys. I am not trying anything new with this one. Just going to do what I’ve figured out to do well. Which is mostly solid colors and Tamiya yellow tape for masking. Im not experimenting much this time except with color.

Once I get proper air brush equipment (later this year) I’ll start learning how to liquid mask again and expand my painting skillset. I don’t ever expect to be as good as Ajag or wildowl, just want to get good enough to smile every time I paint something.

You will definitely want to back it in white, not sure how strong the fire red is, you'll probably want to shoot a test on something first. Two liter soda bottles are good for tests.

You will definitely want to back it in white, not sure how strong the fire red is, you'll probably want to shoot a test on something first. Two liter soda bottles are good for tests.
Ok cool white makes sense. I have some test pieces of poly lying around also. Thanks man!

Look forward to seeing it, I love orange! :)
Yup! It’s my wife’s indirect idea. She’s always pointing out orange jeeps to me so she’s gonna love it.

fluorescent fire red first,2 to 3 light coats,then candy orange,if you want the candy look,mirror Chrome backing,if you want a more Suttle look any silver backing,all candies require a silver or chrome backing,black backing will give a deep darker color.. FYI Fluorescent paint commonly uses a white backer but can be used for different effects

Last edited:
gonna watch this paint job for sure!(y)
In my many body’s using any kind of candy paint you need some test runs to get it the way you want it

I will save some of the old body trimmings like were you trim the wheel wells and use for test paint

Candy paint can be tricky
image.jpg

I will cut scrap like this up into multiple pieces for test paint

fluorescent fire red first,2 to 3 light coats,then candy orange,if you want the candy look,mirror Chrome backing,if you want a more Suttle look any silver backing,all candies require a silver or chrome backing,black backing will give a deep darker color.. FYI Fluorescent paint commonly uses a white backer but can be used for different effects
Sweet! This is what I’ll try. Makes total sense. I do want it to pop so I need to hit the hobby shop. Fire red first huh? I was thinking the orange first. Of course I’ll do test pieces. Thanks bud!! Very much appreciate you advice.

@Velodromed ,really,,,I think you are a Sleeper Painter.That Hydro Dip red window tint job..Super Crazy..wish i had did it first..🤙🏾
I think you have more skills than you want to let be known✊🏾
Well…not yet or I’d have done better with the rest of BFT (Banana Fire Truck) 😂 getting there though, thanks to your advice among others here. Thank you very much though!

Show me a Painter without a flaw and I'll introduce you to God,no disrespect intended.. Painting is a Art , not just another,"I'm not happy with this paint work"..imma keep my eye on you buddy😁,all self paint work done,is Good work..
Thanks buddy. Oh I’m happy with it, just worked with the flaws and adjusted my expectations. The issues only came from experimenting with new products. The mask attempt, I know I used the wrong stuff and green frog tape was awful plus I got kinda drunk and was working on it (bad choice) But the hydro dip did work fantastic and that was the main purpose of this paint job. So I’m happy 😊 I’ll do another hydrodip body next I think. I have ideas…

Hey man, what is a good fairly affordable beginner air brush set up and compressor?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back