Racing Wheels 17mm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zen

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
D134875B-B229-4592-A44F-B82291279563.jpeg
Yo guys,

I have a ARMMA RTR TLR Typhon and I have started racing it at my local race track. I have started getting serious and I have realised I need some better wheels. They need to be a 17mm hex size and the track is mainly loose dirt with one long straight made from tarmac (See Above). Can you guys suggest a good set of tires which don’t bust the bank?

Cheers

^^^ So true.
AKA, PL and JConcepts make the best 1/8 Buggy Pin tires and probably what you want. You pay for what you get. I would look to the Softer compounds. I guess you already realized that the Stocker TLRT Typhon tires are surely Crap.(n) What I see. Useless, except maybe for Pavement, not dirt.:giggle:
Awesome track there. :love: I would kill for a track like that near me.
My TLRT is itching for that.
It is really hard to say, what will work best for you there. That is very subjective. Most is trial and error and going by what the other seasoned drivers are actually running on that specific track. You will probably want to try 2 sets to play with.
Also, as track conditions change, Humidity, temps, any prior rainfal, hosing the track down, etc., and who is actually grooming the track on a given day will all determine what is better on any given day or even time of day. Common for guys to change out their tires several times to get the best traction and Ultimately the Best Lap Times. What really matters. And as Blue Groove conditions appear, driving lines, this will also determine the best tire.
Track running will always require a $$ tire investment. Always been this way. Depends how serious you are about your driving/competition. Tires are 90% of the equation with track running. A good tire is judged by the best Lap times you get with them nothing more. Driver skill is the rest. And a given that your Buggy is setup properly in the first place.
Good luck.:cool:

Last edited:
Thanks, I have been looking for a cheap..... ish set of tires and so far I have got the:
ProLine Convict S3 Tyres Premounted on Velocity V2 White Wheels: https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/343967/#

What do you think?
It's a mini block Pin design with a "Square profile" carcas. Looks like you will get alot of "side bite" as a result. Versus a Round edge profile tire.
Looks nice.
But only running them will tell...
Tires can also be bench prepped and broken-in to make them more suitable for the track in question.
This softens them up and makes them more tacky.

I would start out with the softer compounds, if unsure. Whatever you choose. I feel it is easier to dial in a rig with much traction versus dialing in one with very little traction. The Stocker Typhon tires are hard and wont cut it. They are just good for bashing, if even that. Probably best on pavement. How I use the hard compound stockers for now.

Edited.

Last edited:
They could have made 2 independent tracks out of that construction, imagine trying to control your car in traffic and course 200 feet away. Eagle 👁

What does the 'S3' mean?
Nevermind, I found it, I suppose I need a higher S for more grip... I think
That is the tire compound rating for Proline. S3 is their soft compound. The higher the number the softer the tire, the lower the number the stiffer the tire.

1691949835667.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back