Shims Kraton 6s (v4), picking the correct ones....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_B

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
Kraton 6s (v4), planning on diff maintenance with shimming, and swapping to better bearings all around.

I have been reading through alot of post here on the forum, watching youtube videoes and used google.
All have been very informative, but got a couple of "follow up" questions, specially regarding size of the shims.
i have learned that shimming is differnet from diff to diff, so i know i have to shim accordingly :)

It looks like shim sizes (not thickness) used in the diff vary from person to person. I made a quick spreadsheet where i noted down various sizes people use on the same location in the diff (sizes found on YT videoes, a spreadsheet here on the forum, and google).

my questions are :
  • for example on the internal sun gear, will all the listed sizes work so i can just pick one size? (this questions apply to all the listed shim positions)
  • which thicknesses do you recommend?
  • in the spreadsheet i have noted down 4 places that need (might need) shims. any other places i have forgot?
The reason i ask about the sizes is that i hope to find the shims at my local hobbyshop here in Norway.

best regards

Hans

Skjermbilde 2020-02-04 kl. 11.49.29.png

Mugen and Kyosho shim kits are pretty much what is used. Refer to the diff topic threads for part numbers already listed there. Some use the cheap Basher brand shim kits as well.
Just have enough on hand. You stated that shimming varys from diff to diff. Yes, rarely do any two diffs assemble the same.
Just have enough on hand. Diff shimming is not a perfect science. Just need to get it close enough to put 20 or so lipos cycles on your rig before considering diff rebuilds again. Selecting Diff. oil CST is also critical and part of the equation for durability and driving style.

I have noted down part numbers for all the shims i have listed.
But in case they don't have the the ones i list here in norway (from the listed manufacturers), and i have to buy based on size (diameter).
And i see that people use different shim size (diameter) on the same place. For example on the internal sun gear, i have found 6 different sizes people use. So hopefully that means that all of them work. All shims found on "kraton 6s diff rebuild" videoes, but not all has stated wether its v1, v2, v3, v4 etc.

is it the same diffs in all versions?

The diff cup was changed from the original V1 I believe. But all the parts fit the same. The Mugen Sun gear shims are wider and thus better surface area over the stock. Metal seems stronger also.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back