Spectrum dx5 rugged, no telemetry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Outcast 6s
  3. Talion
  4. Typhon 6s
So I have come to the point where I’m hauling 7 transmitters where ever I go. I need a upgrade. I have had my eye on the spectrum dx5 rugged for a while now. It really fits me better than any other transmitter I researched. So I just order that and 2 315 receivers I think I got that right. Anyway after I ordered I realized the receiver has no telemetry. No a huge deal but if I’m getting a upgraded radio I want bells and whistles lol. Besides buying the 80 reciver with telemetry built in is there another way to get it. Maybe it can’t be done I’m ?

@bicketybam runs this transmitter and speaks very highly of it. I don’t think he runs much telemetry with it, but may be able to shed some light on it for you.

@bicketybam runs this transmitter and speaks very highly of it. I don’t think he runs much telemetry with it, but may be able to shed some light on it for you.
I think you have to buy a module or something. I've never used telemetry. I bash like a barbarian with a bended brain ???

The Rugged is definitely a tough and amazing transmitter, even thinking of getting one myself.

I've been wondering this myself.. Do you have to have a special ESC to get telemetry or can you add it on? I also want to upgrade to the DX5C / 6100T package but don't want to get rid of my MAX 5. I also want to know how those youtubers are getting live telemetry on their videos cause that's pretty slick.

I purchased the orange DX5 Rugged several weeks ago. If I am going to buy an ugly transmitter, I may as well go full FUGLY and buy the orange one.:p

I performed the on-line firmware update AFTER I programmed 2 vehicles with it. All research said I would lose the vehicle programming, but I did not. I updated the firmware for both Rxs as well.

After the firmware update I now have all of the Spektrum "Smart" technology in the Rugged, including some telemetry features like Rx voltage.

What parameters are you looking to monitor?

Last edited:
i actually don’t know. Voltage temp mph ? I just want bells and whistles lol maybe I’m just over thinking this here. Oh well on to these bodies, they aren’t going to paint themselves

I purchased the orange DX5 Rugged several weeks ago. If I am going to buy an ugly transmitter, I may as well go full FUGLY and buy the orange one.:p

I performed the on-line firmware update AFTER I programmed 2 vehicles with it. All research said I would lose the vehicle programming, but I did not. I updated the firmware for both Rxs as well.

After the firmware update I now have all of the Spektrum "Smart" technology in the Rugged, including some telemetry features like Rx voltage.

What parameters are you looking to monitor?
How did you update it?

How did you update it?

The process is a little complicated, so I broke it down as best I could.
I did it a while ago, so use this as a reference, not a perfect set of steps.

1. You will need to purchase one of these:
    Transmitter/Receiver Programming Cable: USB Interface (SPMA3065)
    https://www.horizonhobby.com/as3x-programming-cable---usb-interface-spma3065

2. Download the Spektrum Programmer Beta Software at:
    http://spektrumrc.cachefly.net/apps/spektrum_programmer.html

3. Go to My Spektrum at:
    https://www.spektrumrc.com/MyAccount/Login.aspx?ReturnUrl=/MyAccount/Default.aspx

4. Create an account for yourself.

5. Open the software. The logon ID & password for the software will be the same as the My Spektrum account you made on-line.

6. Register your Spektrum Tx & Rx using the software & cable. Connect the cable to the Tx or Rx & power the cable using the software. The software will pull the serial number from the connected item automatically.

7. After you register your Txs & Rxs using the software they will appear in your My Spektrum account on-line.

8. Go to your My Spektrum account on-line. To the right of your registered products there are bullet-point items. One is labeled Download Updates.

9. Download the update for the item you wish to update. Save it on your hard drive in a location you will remember.

10. Using the Programmer software, upload the update file to the item using the USB cable.

That should do it.

I purchased my SR515 Rx recently and when I registered it, the software told me I had the latest version.

Good luck!

The process is a little complicated, so I broke it down as best I could.
I did it a while ago, so use this as a reference, not a perfect set of steps.

1. You will need to purchase one of these:
    Transmitter/Receiver Programming Cable: USB Interface (SPMA3065)
    https://www.horizonhobby.com/as3x-programming-cable---usb-interface-spma3065

2. Download the Spektrum Programmer Beta Software at:
    http://spektrumrc.cachefly.net/apps/spektrum_programmer.html

3. Go to My Spektrum at:
    https://www.spektrumrc.com/MyAccount/Login.aspx?ReturnUrl=/MyAccount/Default.aspx

4. Create an account for yourself.

5. Open the software. The logon ID & password for the software will be the same as the My Spektrum account you made on-line.

6. Register your Spektrum Tx & Rx using the software & cable. Connect the cable to the Tx or Rx & power the cable using the software. The software will pull the serial number from the connected item automatically.

7. After you register your Txs & Rxs using the software they will appear in your My Spektrum account on-line.

8. Go to your My Spektrum account on-line. To the right of your registered products there are bullet-point items. One is labeled Download Updates.

9. Download the update for the item you wish to update. Save it on your hard drive in a location you will remember.

10. Using the Programmer software, upload the update file to the item using the USB cable.

That should do it.

I purchased my SR515 Rx recently and when I registered it, the software told me I had the latest version.

Good luck!

Perfect. Thanks ?

Hello Woodtoolguy, just wondering if you or anyone who has done the firmware update how the remotes are after a while and if you needed to do anymore updates? I am also interested in the orange remote, but seems it only comes in version 1, which would need the firmware update. It also has the older style touch buttons vs the new ones. Any input on any of this would be great, thanks.

The firmware hasn't changed in years on the TX and they are all the same nowadays. Updates are not really needed.
Telemetry comes from the ESC (Spektrum) and any DX5 will work.

Hi Jkflow, I believe the version 1's have a bit of trim around each touch screen button, where as the version 2 has a smooth area for all the touch screen buttons. As well, version 1 didn't come with the spektrum smart telemetry, that's the firmware update woodtoolguy talks about above. Just wondering if any difference in the usage of the two touch screens and if others were able to do the firmware install.

Not sure if I understand, the rugged and other DX5 are all powered by the same electronics, the packaging is different i.e. all firmware is the same on DX5 (Pro might be different).

I did update mine in 2019 and the firmware date is 11/19/2019 v1.08. There is no issue upgrading with radios, you will need the right adapter for certain models. No special module required for telemetry on the TX, assuming you have a Firma ESC and SR315 or other telemetry receiver (SR61xx).
That has been working since ~ 2018 or earlier, to my knowledge. I doubt you will find a DX5 with older firmnware unless you buy it used.

You have to register your radio and you will get access to the tools and instructions.

Just to confirm, with the latest version of Arrma vehilces hitting the market (eg. the Mojave with the Spektrum motor/ESC/Rx installed); a DX5 Rugged should be ‘plug and play’ from a telemetry stand point, yes?

Yes.
PnP as in you have to set it up but fairly straight forward. Do a bind and go to the telemetry screen and do an auto config.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back