Typhon Grom Upgrade Path

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teryfunk

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite Grom
  2. Infraction 4x4
Grabbed a Typhon grom because I couldn't resist. I want to upgrade it with a basic brushless setup.
Not looking to break records, just want to upgrade and learn along the way.
Gonna do this on a budget so this will be a piece by piece upgrade.
And I'd like to keep it in service so I can see/learn what each part adds to the overall experience.
Question is: what order do I upgrade parts in? I think i need to upgrade the 2in1 ESC/receiver first, then the motor.
Is this right? I'll post another thread asking for help with specific parts i should use.

Also is that it? Can I stop here or do I have to keep upgrading further?
eg: Don't know if the drivetrain needs attention as well with a new motor, but I'd like to keep it stock to keep this project sorta easy.
Thoughts? Anything I've overlooked? Thanks for any input you can give.

Just save up and get what you need to make it function properly. Here's what I ordered today:
  • Spektrum Firma Brushless Motor/ESC 2-in-1 Combo, 6000Kv, SPMXSEM0501
  • Losi Pinion Gear 18T 0.5M 2mm Shaft LOS212022 Electric Car/Truck Option Parts
  • Spektrum SR215 2-Channel 2.4GHz DSMR RC Sport Receiver: Surface, Black
  • Spektrum Adapter: IC2 Device / EC2 Battery, SPMXCA321
$150 USD

The brushless motor has the ESC built into it. You need the pinion gear because the one on the original motor is designed for a 2.3 mm shaft, whereas the new brushless motor has a 2.0 mm shaft. If you use the OEM pinion, it will be off balance and almost immediately break the motor's shaft.

The stock receiver is built into the ESC, which you are no longer using, so you'll need a standalone receiver like the SR215. Speaking of the standard ESC, the stock servo is mounted to it, which means you'll need some low profile servo mounts like the ones listed.

The included 2S battery uses an IC2 connector, and the brushless motor/ESC combo uses an EC2, so you'll need the adapter.

Edit: I just installed everything. It is significantly more powerful. For the servo mount, just cut the tabs that handle the mounting off of the original ESC. The metal ones I ordered (based off a YouTube video) were the wrong thread size. Easier just to hacksaw off the plastic and re-use it.

Last edited:
thanks for the detailed explanation! that helps me a lot. guess i will just save and get everything i need

Back