Typhon Typhon Mega build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bozo

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 3s
  2. Vendetta
Hi all,
Liked my Vendetta so much I decided to do a Typhon build.
Usually smart money buys the Typhon 3s as it has all the goodies already installed.
In my case, I had extra electronics laying around, so it was cheaper for me to go with the Mega (NIB $180 shipped-ebay).

Here's the stuff I had on hand already...
The ESC is a Hobbywing Quicrun 10BL120 G2 and the motor is a Hobbywing Quicrun 3660 3800KV with a 5mm shaft.
Servo is an Amazon DSServo 35kg coreless
TX/RX is DumboRC X6 with gyro

Here's the stuff I needed to buy...(mostly from Jenny'sRC)
Granite 3s slipper clutch assembly
Granite 3s Driveshaft support bearing
Granite 3s motor mount, heatsink and fan
Typhon 3s turnbuckle kit
Senton 3s bumpers
Kimbrough 124 servo saver
OGRC Aluminum Alloy Steering set (kinda sloppy, I may reinstall the original factory kit)
Extra factory fan on the motor heatsink
40mm fan on the ESC
Support for rear of motor off ebay

Everything went together with no issues except trimming the servo saver to fit... kinda fussy...
Installed the ESC between the motor and RX box- still have plenty of room to remove the power module.
Both diffs were really binding (same issue I had on my Vendetta) but filing the lip off under the bearings on the diff really made a difference.
Topped off both diffs with Lucas Red "N" Tacky and oiled all the bearings.
Redid the shock oil- 30wt. front, 70wt. rear. I'm looking at replacement shocks, stock ones seem a little soft.
Balanced the wheels.
Added a strip of Velcro fuzzy to the bottom of the motor mount to keep stuff out.
With the driveshaft and power module removed she now rolls really easily- friction in drivetrain considerably reduced!
Currently running a 57T spur and 15T pinion with ESC punch set at 4 for testing, so far it is stable and runs straight even with the gyro turned off.
As I shake it down more I'll start playing with gears, punch settings etc. to fine tune it.
Hate the body- weird shape and questionable graphics- same as the Vendetta (what were they smoking when they did these?)
Not a lot of body options for the Typhon, so I used some holographic film to cover the green parts. Better, but still lipstick on a pig...
I'm really digging this car, I'm new to Arrma and I'm impressed with the build quality and well thought out design. Def not my last Arrma!
PXL_20230905_142353288.jpg
PXL_20230905_142403772.jpg
PXL_20230905_142512315.jpg
PXL_20230905_142526077.jpg
PXL_20230905_142534224.jpg

Looks great! Love the body!!

I'm in love with the body work. nice!

Looks great! Love the body!!
Thanks, it's neater in person- just shimmers
I'm using wrap more and more. It's cheap and even the smallest roll is enough for many projects.
The variety available is amazing!
It has other advantages also. It's light and really hard to tear, and after you set the adhesive with heat it reinforces the body. If it does get scuffed up, just peel it off and put some more on.
Disadvantages are it's a bit tricky to work with but after a few tries it gets easier. Make sure it's clean and dust free. I do it in sections, with the seams overlapping about 2mm. Gotta watch the heat gun, you can warp the body and overheat the wrap (it gets brittle). I clamp my heat gun in the bench vise and wear cotton gloves to stretch and stick the wrap.
Here's a WLtoys 124019 with a Jconcepts body I wrapped in blue/purple flip carbon fiber.

PXL_20230311_153207254.jpg

PXL_20230311_153118204.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back