Typhon Typhon v3 3s loud rear diff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davidm241

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Should the rear diff b 3 to 4x louder than the front? I pulled the power module to check it out and it's the rear diff making a much louder clicking sound than the front, like a loose gear mesh or something. Should I pull it and check the fluid?

Should the rear diff b 3 to 4x louder than the front? I pulled the power module to check it out and it's the rear diff making a much louder clicking sound than the front, like a loose gear mesh or something. Should I pull it and check the fluid?
When my rear diff sounded bad, it had shredded most of the teeth on diff gear and input gear...

When my rear diff sounded bad, it had shredded most of the teeth on diff gear and input gear...
Did you notice any performance issues? I'm not noticing any but it seems to b getting louder, it makes the same sound the front does it's just a bit louder.

Yes, it was basically front wheel drive. When the noise started, it really didn't take long before it was chewed up.
I hope that is not what mine is going to do. What would cause it to get chewed up? Was there much grease in there from the factory? I have read about some ppl finding little to no grease and minimal fluid in the diff. I'm also fighting my servo now and trying to figure out why it pulls so hard to the left. ---

I hope that is not what mine is going to do. What would cause it to get chewed up? Was there much grease in there from the factory? I have read about some ppl finding little to no grease and minimal fluid in the diff. I'm also fighting my servo now and trying to figure out why it pulls so hard to the left. ---
I never opened the granites diff before, and now I really needed to. Looked ok oil/grease wise. I think it was just running too tight slipper and was wheeleing too much, probably a lot of hard landings on throttle, before I read about why diff are stripping. Now it doesn't wheele on full throttle, from a stand still, but if I'm a little careful it'll wheele when moving. Regarding the servo, I have changed servo in my rig, and the servo saver.

I never opened the granites diff before, and now I really needed to. Looked ok oil/grease wise. I think it was just running too tight slipper and was wheeleing too much, probably a lot of hard landings on throttle, before I read about why diff are stripping. Now it doesn't wheele on full throttle, from a stand still, but if I'm a little careful it'll wheele when moving. Regarding the servo, I have changed servo in my rig, and the servo saver.
After reading and listening to others I think my diff is just normal wear and tear noise, I might back off on the slipper a bit to help preserve it. I mostly run on 2s, I only have 1 3s battery so I'm not getting many wheelies on the 2s. I took my servo apart last night, the center gear seemed loose on its pin, there was no grease in it just some sticky stuff like syrup wich I thought was strange, I greased it up and put it back in, greased up the bell crank arms and it's still working ok for now but if I push it hard it will start struggling to turn right. I guess I will have to replace the servo eventually.

I can recommend the metal input gear ( ARA311153 ) with the composite diff gear.
Quieter and also less rolling resistance.
20230509_163801.jpg

This gear was the source of the noise.

20230516_141656.jpg

Way better.

I can recommend the metal input gear ( ARA311153 ) with the composite diff gear.
Quieter and also less rolling resistance.
View attachment 302162
This gear was the source of the noise.

View attachment 302163
Way better.
I have done this as well. I figured I’d upgrade the diffs to the metal variant when forced to, but they’ve been hanging in there. Those composite impure gears were always worn down razor thin before.

I figured the ring gears would be like that now, but not to this point.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back