Whats the difference of the two???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Typhon buggy is a derivative. Buggies came before Truggies. Truggy is a truckish looking body on a stretched out Buggy platform.
Buggy + truck body =Truggy. How it was named. IMHO.
If I am correct, the Typhon was the first Arrma rig. Or at least the most popular early on. It was shared with with the Durango DEX8 race buggy

Typhon buggy is a derivative. Buggies came before Truggies. Truggy is a truckish looking body on a stretched out Buggy platform.
If I am correct, the Typhon was the first Arrma rig. Or at least the most popular early on. It was shared with with the Durango DEX8 race buggy
From what I remember reading Typhon was actually released either before or along side the DEX8. Then the Kraton, Talion and Senton were released later the same year.

I think it came just before the Durango. Because I once read that the Arrma line was sold as is to Hobbico. Arrma wasn't called Arrma until Hobbico branded it as such after buying the line from Dragon Star RC. Then, Hobbico created Durango, shortly thereafter in an attempt by Hobbico to race. That was a financial mess unto itself.

just chiming in....there both referred to monster trucks by their makers. And both will show up when searching monster truck on retailers websites.

I think it came just before the Durango. Because I once read that the Arrma line was sold as is to Hobbico. Arrma wasn't called Arrma until Hobbico branded it as such after buying the line from Dragon Star RC. Then, Hobbico created Durango, shortly thereafter in an attempt by Hobbico to race. That was a financial mess unto itself.
Team Durango was founded in 2008. Hobbico purchased Durango in 2012 along with Arrma and Axial.

Sauce.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Team_Durango
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobbico

Copyright on the V1 online manual is 2014 https://www.arrma-rc.com/pdf/manuals/ARB10108r4.pdf and I found this about the Team Durango stuff https://www.rcdriver.com/ready-for-release-dex8-dex8t-dnx8-and-desc10-from-team-durango/ says March 2015.

Last edited:
If we didn't have Truggies there would be no Arrma 6s rigs or 8s rigs. They are all truggies. Get used to it.
Truggies are an off shoot platform from track rigs. Just brought into the RTR niche market in the past 15-20 years. Bashing use. And it took off big. Many here are too young to understand or remember the RC evolution. Many see a MT body and big MT wheels and assume this makes it a MT. Far from it.
It is all about the chassis platform the lid and wheels are sitting on.:LOL:
*looks at my kraton 😢*
*grabs overcharged lipo*
its for the best old friend

There is clearly a difference in design and therefore there will never be a right or wrong answer to this debate. imho
In all technicality it is a monster truggy. It is a truggy that is slightly wider with monster truck tires on it.

silly boy durangos are large suvs that haunt my dreams

I agree XMAXX is a monster truck and Kraton is more truggy, Talion is all the way truggy. This whole thing started when early days it was a pain to have an RC on-road because you need lots of pavement, clean flat and car free. Off-road was better, more abundant and less cars, but the only things with large enough tires (at scale) to really go over grass and things are Monster Trucks. But MT handle like garbage and cant keep their wheels facing down. Enter the truggy. We all knew about the buggy, basically an on road racecar with minimal alterations required to make it off pavement capable but still only nice flat dirt road capable (horrible in grass usually, easy to get stuck high-sided). So instead we put monster wheels on a low CG vehicle to make the truggy. My talion can take turns on rough terrain my truggified savage X SS with XL chassis could only dream about - out of the box RTR!

just chiming in....there both referred to monster trucks by their makers. And both will show up when searching monster truck on retailers websites.
Yeah, because marketting likes Monster Truck versus Truggy.
Everyone knows what a Monster Truck is. Can relate to it easily.
The term "Truggy" means nothing for most of us. Is confusing.
It all goes back to the early racing roots of this hobby. No one was racing a Monster truck at the track. They were racing "Truggy" Class.
My spin.:cool:
silly boy durangos are large suvs that haunt my dreams
Chrysler, AKA Stellantis N.A, makes the Durango SUV. It is basically a extended Jeep Grand Cherokee, Mechanically identical. Chassis and all. Most parts.
I think the Durango is not as popular as its Jeep G C counterpart. I see way more Jeep GC's around. Makes the Durango look more unique???
Thats a personal call..:LOL: The Jeep probably has better resale value than an equally equipped Durango. The Jeep name has always been popular.

Last edited:
The XMaxx is incredibly durable. Turns have to be relatively slow or it will topple over. And it is a lot lighter than the Kraton 8s. Jumps are fun, high and far. Plastic chassis that bend back. Spare parts are pretty cheap compared to Arrma. Pinion and spur tend to break - need an upgrade there. Easy to work on. High center of gravity. Good at what monster trucks are built for but not more.

The Kraton 8s is a buggy. Fast corners and sliding through corners. Metal chassis - if it bends it stays bent. Needs a few upgrades if you want to jump a lot. If you want to build a tank M2C etc you pay nearly double what the XMaxx costs. Handling at speed in corners a lot more stable than the Xmaxx. Low center of gravity. Can do only some of what a Monster truck can do but road handling a lot better.

A bit like comparing the Infraction and Mojave - can't really be compared.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back