Kraton 6S DIFF's! Strength - EXB VS. V5/BLX (Kraton/Talion/Outcast)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCbuzz

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 8S
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Mojave EXB
  5. Senton 3s
So I jumped into the 6S line and would like to pickup some spare parts. So far I bought a regular center diff but would also like to pickup a couple F/R diff's (complete takeoffs, case, diff, input).

I have read many threads that boast the EXB diff's, if built correctly are quite tough. Many other posts also say the regular V5 diffs are also extremely tough (again, when built and shimmed correctly).

The V5 Diff's are quite a bit cheaper and I noticed they appear to be drop in. In other words the complete V5 Diff Case will fit into an EXB 6S RC OR a regular 6S BLX RC. Gear Ratio appears to be the same, I do realize the EXB gears are a little different and regardless of what I choose you would need to match up the correct input gear to ring gear.

Already have a couple regular 6S V5's in the shopping cart, what do you think? Mistake? Plenty Strong?

Thanks!

Last edited:
@RCbuzz I like both answers...

I have rigs that are not EXB, so I will say good shimming goes a LONG way. Diff input gear, add a shim to it to get a better mesh with the diff ring gear. Then also shimming the diff to put it closer to the input. Good gear mesh adds strength and has been well practiced before the EXB stuff.

See this
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/grinding-while-braking.59318/post-880006

If your like me and many other seasoned people on here. You shim diffs perfectly but still shatter them left and right. I abuse my rigs though, badly. You don't have to send it to abuse it thats for sure. I have a bag of stock ring/pinions and thats a lot of cheddar in smashed gears. There is also the a few other things you will see in my post below. The cups are a bit beefier and the pins are as well. All things improved upon over stock diffs.

Here is the rule I say, use them stocks still they bust, swap to EXB for the price its a no brainer. Don't buy stock diffs when your stocks bust. Just no reason too.

My results are here in this thread along with a direct comparison!! Enjoy!!

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/exb-diff-vs-stock-diff.34123/

Last edited:
Thank you all for you feedback, sounds like stock is good but I definitely see the benefit of the EXB from your pictures @nomis38.

From what I have read if you like having Non-LSD EXB diffs you need to buy extra "round keyed LSD disks" to use as spacers near the sun gears for strength and a Arrma washer/spacer kit. So maybe regular spares would be better if you want to stay with open diffs.

Thank you all for you feedback, sounds like stock is good but I definitely see the benefit of the EXB from your pictures @nomis38.

From what I have read if you like having Non-LSD EXB diffs you need to buy extra "round keyed LSD disks" to use as spacers near the sun gears for strength and a Arrma washer/spacer kit. So maybe regular spares would be better if you want to stay with open diffs.
Sorry had to read this again, I see what your saying. Yes slightly shimming them Suns can help. But I'll be honest for me I shatter sun gears more if i shim them. And don't strip them often if not shimmed. I prefer them how they are from the factory.

Last edited:

Having the Tailon and Kraton EXB with LSDs. The ONLY time I use the extra round keyed LSD is when I convert the rear to an open diff. Yes, I add two round LSDs under the sun gear to help protect the tabs. I got that for the original poster (I cannot recall his name) that came up with that.

As for the other F/C diffs, they are as is no extras added...stock LSD diffs. I've only modified my rear since that seems to work better for me.

Any drag racers on here converting to EXB/spiral diffs? 😂

How about UAE sand draggers? 😈

DE19B8CB-54A7-4418-AECB-C14152C1A1C9.gif

Does the brand of drill blanks matter? I have heard a few times they work great for various applications in RC. Going to have to try it one of these days!

Seriously don't try to fix stock diffs, when the stocks break its a NO BRAINER, buy EXB lolol. The stock diffs will never do this!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I ask, why would you not want to do whatever you want to your RC with confidence?

Last edited:
Does the brand of drill blanks matter? I have heard a few times they work great for various applications in RC. Going to have to try it one of these days!
only done it on one car so far but it works. I use cobolt drill bits got the information of someone else on arrma forum ages ago

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back