AE or Mugen front arms on Typhon?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CentriBoosted

Reaction score
Anyone done this yet? I remember a few years back rc8b3 lower arms worked as did mbx7 arms. Any photos floating around that can show it done?
77E2D04D-8A27-4F4B-9B1E-5E59DABC6C0E.jpeg

Yes. I am running MBX7 front arms, upper and lower. The lower arm is lighter than the Typhon. The upper arm is about 0.4 grams heavier.
On the rear I am running MBX7 hubs with MBX6 arms. The MBX6 arms are longer and are needed with the Typhons narrow C and D blocks.

Yes. I am running MBX7 front arms, upper and lower. The lower arm is lighter than the Typhon. The upper arm is about 0.4 grams heavier.
On the rear I am running MBX7 hubs with MBX6 arms. The MBX6 arms are longer and are needed with the Typhons narrow C and D blocks.
Should work with TLr Typhon blocks then too. What hinge pins did you use, ARB mounts, etc.?

I have them installed on a TLR Typhon.
I am runnning RC8 titanium hinge pins, roll bars and roll bar links with Mugen link balls but all the standard parts also work.
The standard roll bar link ball is too thin for the slot in the arms so you will need to shim them or run Mugen link balls with RC8 links.
I am running Mugen drive shafts and axles with MBX7 front hubs, steering arm and hexes. But again all the standard parts will work.
The TLR shock ball ends are also too thin and need shimming or swapping to Mugen shock end balls.

Use standard Typhon shims on the upper front arm.

You will also need a 1mm shim on the lower hinge pin to move the lower arm forward or backward. I have my arm all the way forward.

So essentially they will fit on a stock TLR Typhon.
Use upper arm - MUGE2102
Use lower arm - MUGE2103
Use 1mm shim on lower hinge pins - MUGE0135-B
Use shims or Mugen link balls with RC8 links for roll bar links - MUGC0529A + ASC81150
Use shims or Mugen shock end balls for shock eyes - MUGE2504A

401549BD-548F-47A3-BC99-BDAF6C27CC9D.jpeg
EC3AF74D-0270-4928-9725-03EC304EA21F.jpeg

2A7A605A-56D7-48DF-8BFF-194C81E00095.jpeg
C758E9C6-0A3F-42C1-B4B8-F6DD0BE6683A.jpeg

I’m hat is awesome! I’ll be ordering that stuff this weekend. Can tell any difference in geometry or how the car handles? I have mine setup pretty well I feel like, I wish the car was just a little lighter, I would imagine maybe the Mugen shafts are lighter.. first thing I did was trash the shocks and put 8Xe shocks on. well done sir. I might be hanging this one up to just mess with since I’m possibly about to sign with WRC.

I haven't had a chance to drive it yet, I am still building the car. The MBX7 front hubs have changed the steering link height. I will check bump steer once it is all back together but I think bump steer will be minimal and the steering will be smoother.
On the rear the geometry has changed quite a lot with the MBX7 hubs and MBX6 arms. The arms are longer and the hubs have a lower upper link and it is further outboard. The rear axle height is either higher or lower than the stock Typhon axle height as the MBX7 hub has two mounting locations.
The Mugen rear hubs also have a large negative offset.
I am going to measure the centre of gravity and roll centres and set the car up from there but I think with the Mugen suspension there will be better balance and roll centre heights.

The Mugen shafts are lighter. Most of the Mugen parts are lighter. I have been building my TLR Typhon as light as possible and so far it is around 500 grams lighter than a standard TLR Typhon.

I got the idea from you to fit the TLR shocks, so thank you for the great information and write up you did.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back