Airlines and LiPo batteries

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6mm Lapua

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Kraton 4s
Hey all, I’m going to go on vacation to Florida in a few weeks and really want to bring my Kraton 4s, do airlines allow you to bring LiPo batteries on board?

Hey all, I’m going to go on vacation to Florida in a few weeks and really want to bring my Kraton 4s, do airlines allow you to bring LiPo batteries on board?
As far as I know they do not.

Yes they do. You'll want to verify specific requirements yourself with the particular airline, but I believe the universal TSA limit is packs less than 100 watt hours, and they have to be carried with you in your carry on bag. This equates to basically 6s packs 4000mah or less, 3s packs less thank 8000mah, etc.

I've flown 4 times with lipos (two round trips to visit family). Second time I was loaded with lipos. I got some stink eye looks from TSA, and they had to do their "swipes" a few of those times, but if you're following the regs, and know them, they'll comply. If I find those TSA pages again, i'll edit this post with the links.

EDIT: check out "What can I bring" page on TSA.gov
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/all
There are sections for 100whr+ lithium batteries and <100whr lithium batteries.
Airlines might be allowed to have more stringent restrictions, so my previous statement stands about making sure you check with the specific airline for their requirements. Best suggestion is to have the watt hour limits from the manufacturer visible on the side of the lipo. Don't bring something like these!
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/need-a-sanity-check-on-some-batteries-before-i-impulse-buy.55057/

Last edited:
I have flow with 6s 5000mah packs (two of them) many times. You will need to check with your airline / airport but the limit is actually quite high. And that’s per person so if you are traveling with multiple people (who don’t have their lipos own of course ) you could carry even more by sharing them.

I don’t quite understand how a 6s lipo brick is “safe”, but my old 90% empty tube of toothpaste is dangerous.

Back