Batteries and discharging.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FastMann40

Military Veteran
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 3s
  2. Typhon 6s
I have several batteries, both lipo and Nmh that need to be discharged and/or balanced. How safe is this and what are the recommendations when starting this? Attached is the type of charger I have that has the capability to discharge as well as balance, but I haven't used that feature before. Is there a pdf that has the instructions on how to do this? Has anyone ever done this?

Screenshot_20231007_114154_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20231007_114209_eBay.jpg

Just follow the instructions and should be safe. Select the discharge option om your charger. Discharging batteries is a pretty common occurrence im the RC community. Just keep in mind that discharging will typically take a lot longer than charging. Not many chargers out there can discharge fairly rapidly.

Using a normal charger to discharge is painfully slow. I have a couple of these things and they’re great:

ISDT FD-200 Smart Discharger 200W 25A Wireless APP Control Discharger Capacity 2-8S Lipo Battery Discharging https://a.co/d/gRB4Dys

Using a normal charger to discharge is painfully slow. I have a couple of these things and they’re great:

ISDT FD-200 Smart Discharger 200W 25A Wireless APP Control Discharger Capacity 2-8S Lipo Battery Discharging https://a.co/d/gRB4Dys
I'll say!! Oh man.. my bro and I got rained out one Sunday, we both had a pile of batts charged up. He went home and I spent 3 days discharging batteries!!😂😂 A 6s 6.0ah battery discharging @.2a..OMG!!🤔😬🤯 LOL!!
I'll usually leave them charged until I can throw them in a rig and take them down to storage. 10 minutes vs 10 hours on a charger, LOL

I have several batteries, both lipo and Nmh that need to be discharged and/or balanced. How safe is this and what are the recommendations when starting this? Attached is the type of charger I have that has the capability to discharge as well as balance, but I haven't used that feature before. Is there a pdf that has the instructions on how to do this? Has anyone ever done this?

View attachment 325681

View attachment 325682
You don’t need to discharge your batteries before balancing them. Use the balance charge function (always) when charging your LiPo’s. Discharge them in your rig as you run them. After a few cycles, they are good.
As for “has anybody done this,” then yes, we balance charge our batteries every time we roll. Don’t use the fast charge feature on your charger. Only, and always, balance charge them.
After you hit LVC when running them, then storage charge them. Never keep them charged for any length of time if you’re not going to be running them. It’s more dangerous, and it shortens the life of the batteries.

You don’t need to discharge your batteries before balancing them. Use the balance charge function (always) when charging your LiPo’s. Discharge them in your rig as you run them. After a few cycles, they are good.
As for “has anybody done this,” then yes, we balance charge our batteries every time we roll. Don’t use the fast charge feature on your charger. Only, and always, balance charge them.
After you hit LVC when running them, then storage charge them. Never keep them charged for any length of time if you’re not going to be running them. It’s more dangerous, and it shortens the life of the batteries.
Thanks Dan, you are the man dude!

Last edited:
Just follow the instructions and should be safe. Select the discharge option om your charger. Discharging batteries is a pretty common occurrence im the RC community. Just keep in mind that discharging will typically take a lot longer than charging. Not many chargers out there can discharge fairly rapidly.
I didn't have the manual so that is why I was asking.
I'll say!! Oh man.. my bro and I got rained out one Sunday, we both had a pile of batts charged up. He went home and I spent 3 days discharging batteries!!😂😂 A 6s 6.0ah battery discharging @.2a..OMG!!🤔😬🤯 LOL!!
I'll usually leave them charged until I can throw them in a rig and take them down to storage. 10 minutes vs 10 hours on a charger, LOL
That is so long a of a process. Thanks for the heads up.

I would just have to get an adapter as all my plugs are Deans, but I could see myself getting that discharger, thanks.

960 minutes or 16 hours to do 2-4s lipos, and 2-3s lipos, and I have 4 more batteries coming soon. This definitely takes a long time.

That all would’ve taken like 30-40 minutes total on the discharger I posted.
I just left in on the presets it came with, 😳 what is the safest time frame I should set it then? I may be getting that decharger you mentioned.

+1
How I fly. ISDT FD-200 Discharger is awesome. My MR12 is also great . This one even "Balance Discharges" Lipo's FWIW. Discharging during a Storage charge Cycle with a basic Charger takes way too long. It heats up the Charger needlessly. A liability IMHO. Use a dedicated discharger. 5-10 min and a Full charged lipo drops to storage volts and automatically shuts off. A Real quick process. Using a charger to discharge lipos can literally take hours with most of them. And you have to baby sit throughout the long Discharge cycle duration. For safety sake.
Lipos are expensive components of this Hobby, I can't see Not spending on the best Lipo Support Equipment.

+1
How I fly. ISDT FD-200 Discharger is awesome. My MR12 is also great . This one even "Balance Discharges" Lipo's FWIW. Discharging during a Storage charge Cycle with a basic Charger takes way too long. It heats up the Charger needlessly. A liability IMHO. Use a dedicated discharger. 5-10 min and a Full charged lipo drops to storage volts and automatically shuts off. A Real quick process. Using a charger to discharge lipos can literally take hours with most of them. And you have to baby sit throughout the long Discharge cycle duration. For safety sake.
Lipos are expensive components of this Hobby, I can't see Not spending on the best Lipo Support Equipment.
Is there a more reasonable priceed solution to discharge a lipo battery quicker than a charger? Something diy

+1
Using the charger to discharge is a last resort for me. I lost a channel on a 4 month old S2100 charger when I plugged a 6s pack in to discharge. Heard a pop as soon as I hit the start button.. oh well.🤷‍♂️😂

Is there a more reasonable priceed solution to discharge a lipo battery quicker than a charger? Something diy
Many simple mechanisms could work fine for discharging. But you also need the mechanism to stop discharging once a desired voltage is reached. That makes it tricky.

Many simple mechanisms could work fine for discharging. But you also need the mechanism to stop discharging once a desired voltage is reached. That makes it tricky.
Good point,

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back