Any idea why 6s outcast recently keep stripping rear input gear?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QLynxer

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Granite
  3. Mojave
  4. Outcast 6s
Been running original rear input gear for over a year.

Finally starting making weird noises. Checked all three diffs first and then replaced the rear input gear.

Car worked great for about one battery pack then same noise again.

Pulled it apart and input was stripped again.

So I replaced input gear along with brand new matching crown gear on the rear diff.

Ran one battery pack and can already hear it starting to go bad again.

Wondering why this happening now.
This truck has the metal hot racing diff housing.

Maybe it warped? I have new
Stock plastic one i might try.

Any other common reasons I might be missing??

Finally starting making weird noises. Checked all three diffs first and then replaced the rear input gear.

So I replaced input gear along with brand new matching crown gear on the rear diff.

I was gonna say plastic bulkhead might be warped. But if you have alu ones then guess not. If you have another one try it..metal or plastic as long as it's a good one. Does the diff cup move around in the bulkhead?

Check it for play. I had the exact same issue and fixed it by adding shims on the INSIDE to press it more firmly into the crown gear. When it's loose and not properly meshed, gear teeth are first to go. Add them between inside bearing and input gear.

I know with my HR diff bulkhead I needed two shims to get it nice and tight. Also are you using the stock plastic cover for the HR bulkhead, HR likes to sell them separate, or did you get the aluminum top piece with it as well? If so the plastic top cover might be warped. 🤷‍♂️

I payed closer attention the second time i replaced the gear and did notice there was some in and out play with the input gear. I added some shims underneath the big bearing and it was a lot better.

Was super disappointing to hear it start to strip again. I’ll put in the new plastic housing tonight and we shall see.

Thanks for the advice fellas.
I know with my HR diff bulkhead I needed two shims to get it nice and tight. Also are you using the stock plastic cover for the HR bulkhead, HR likes to sell them separate, or did you get the aluminum top piece with it as well? If so the plastic top cover might be warped. 🤷‍♂️
I use the metal housing with the plastic cover, gonna swap both out with new plastic one.

Good point on the cover. Thanks.

I payed closer attention the second time i replaced the gear and did notice there was some in and out play with the input gear. I added some shims underneath the big bearing and it was a lot better.

Was super disappointing to hear it start to strip again. I’ll put in the new plastic housing tonight and we shall see.

Thanks for the advice fellas.

I use the metal housing with the plastic cover, gonna swap both out with new plastic one.

Good point on the cover. Thanks.
For what it's worth, I use stock housing with the HR covers. The cover alone seems to be adequate in strengthening the housing. Most issues are from twists. But I also use longer chassis bolts too so I'm sure that plays a role too.

That "in and out" was the play I was talking about. Do the front to even though the front center shaft on mine seems alot tighter than the rear.

For what it's worth, I use stock housing with the HR covers. The cover alone seems to be adequate in strengthening the housing. Most issues are from twists. But I also use longer chassis bolts too so I'm sure that plays a role too.

That "in and out" was the play I was talking about. Do the front to even though the front center shaft on mine seems alot tighter than the rear
Im with you man. I use longer bolts that come up through the chassis and then I use longer bolts through the shock tower with a nut on the backside. Been pretty solid until
Now.

Im hoping once I pull out the HR metal diff case completely, I’ll see something wrong with it and I’ll then I’ll know for sure.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back