Typhon input gear replacement

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dolarin

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon Mega
Greetings,

I'm in the process of reassembling my Typhon. One of the many issues it had when I bought it was a broken rear input gear. I bought a new one, put the bearings on it, and installed everything back the way it was. But when I tested it out by hand I noted that it was pretty "chunky" when I turned the input gear. I verified I have the right tooth count, and the mesh seems fine. I did notice that if I backed the two screws that hold the case together off a little bit it got a lot easier to turn. I am assuming what's happening is the case is putting to much pressure on something. Anyone had any experience with this before? I appreciate the help.

Greetings,

I'm in the process of reassembling my Typhon. One of the many issues it had when I bought it was a broken rear input gear. I bought a new one, put the bearings on it, and installed everything back the way it was. But when I tested it out by hand I noted that it was pretty "chunky" when I turned the input gear. I verified I have the right tooth count, and the mesh seems fine. I did notice that if I backed the two screws that hold the case together off a little bit it got a lot easier to turn. I am assuming what's happening is the case is putting to much pressure on something. Anyone had any experience with this before? I appreciate the help.

Keep in mind the gears should be changed as a set.. putting new input/ pinion gear on an old ring/crown gear could wear fast..

Be sure all your shims are properly seated in the carrier, this can cause some issues..

What rig is this on.. 3s or 6s?

Greetings,

Make sure to shim the Mains gear better. But even a bad defective bulkhead will cause misalignment from my experience. And make sure the Input gear and its input cup are not on too too tight or too loose. Done right, there should be no slop, yet will rotate/spin easily by hand.
FWIW, even a bad Input gear OUTER BB can cause issues. The OE BB is quite undersized for this application IMHO. Wearing out and get sloppy fast. I have had them explode and take out the diff and whole bulkhead before. I almost always use a new outer input gear BB when rebuilding my diffs. Cheap insurance. I buy those specific BB's in bulk for this reason. Same with the Inner wheel hub BB's buying them in bulk packs. They also wear out easily.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back