Vorteks Anyone with a friend at Horizon? I need help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You need to email them again and make it clear that the servo fried thats on them at that point

Lets not ignore that the old spektum servos were pretty much junk. The new ones are great and have yet to see one fail on the latest release. When a servo is junk even with the proper settings its going to fail prematurely. They legit shorted receiver and esc when they burned out. Countless of people wondering why their esc wont turn on or have any sign of life

Yes, yes they did... Brown out the whole bec..

The S652 is a direct drop in. That's what I did on my Vorteks BLX.
ANY "standard size" brand servo IS A Direct Drop in!

Maybe all you need is a 25 spline SS or Arm if anything. 99% of better servos will be 25 spline. Spektrum servos depending on the model, stick you with their oddball 23 spline SS and arms.
Don't get accustomed to the thinking that only Spektrum is Plug and Play being better. A Bad assumption, IMHO.

An AMZ DS3235 35KG servo is only $34.
Screw dealing with HH 2 year warranty when it comes their $6 dollar crap stocker servo. They will burn you out dealing with a dumb servo replacement. Them sending you a new gear train is just Horrible. It isn't even worth your time fixing junk to begin with. Will only fail again.
And don't let them Up Sell you to a more expensive Specktrum servo in regards. That is their stupid game. Sucking you all in.:rolleyes:

Maybe all you need is a 25 spline SS or Arm if anything. 99% of better servos will be 25 spline. Spektrum servos depending on the model, stick you with their oddball 23 spline SS and arms.
Don't get accustomed to the thinking that only Spektrum is Plug and Play being better. A Bad assumption, IMHO.

Screw dealing with HH 2 year warranty when it comes their $6 dollar crap stocker servo. They will burn you out dealing with a dumb servo replacement. Them sending you a new gear train is just Horrible. It isn't even worth your time fixing junk to begin with. Will only fail again.
And don't let them Up Sell you to a more expensive Specktrum servo in regards. That is their stupid game. Sucking you all in.:rolleyes:
Those are pretty crap. At least the 25kg one. They are like 15kg. The ds3218pro seems to be stronger faster and more durable. Idk about the 35kg. My 25kg failed on me. The pro version has alloy gear

Setting your servo end points is a must, 90% of servo failure is due to binding on the mechanical limits of the steering components...
I know and I set the endpoints on a new servo (same S651 because thats what the local shop told me to use $49) and that one lasted 7 packs. Apparently the stock servo doesn't like grass. I just ordered a S652 and Im waiting on the warranty replacement S651 just so I have a backup if this slight upgrade goes boom. I appreciate everyones input. Im a mechanic but Im somewhat new to the RC world so I have a lot to learn.

Im sorry if this seems like a dumb question but without asking I wont learn the answer. If I buy a 25t servo, are all the 25t servo horns and servo savers a direct replacement. I saw an arrma 25t servo saver that looks identical to my 23t but its red and not black and I read about people adding snap rings to tighten the spring inside. Does the servo saver reduce the potential for damage to the servo and is it a better option than a solid horn for my vorteks?

Last edited:
Funny you said that, while the local shop I bought the vorteks from was looking at the rig, they had to re-bind the DX3 transmitter every time they powered it off and on. Once I replaced the servo it stopped happening

I know and I set the endpoints on a new servo (same S651 because thats what the local shop told me to use $49) and that one lasted 7 packs. Apparently the stock servo doesn't like grass. I just ordered a S652 and Im waiting on the warranty replacement S651 just so I have a backup if this slight upgrade goes boom. I appreciate everyones input. Im a mechanic but Im somewhat new to the RC world so I have a lot to learn.

Im sorry if this seems like a dumb question but without asking I wont learn the answer. If I buy a 25t servo, are all the 25t servo horns and servo savers a direct replacement. I saw an arrma 25t servo saver that looks identical to my 23t but its red and not black and I read about people adding snap rings to tighten the spring inside. Does the servo saver reduce the potential for damage to the servo and is it a better option than a solid horn for my vorteks?
Yes, pretty much any standard size servo will drop right in, and any 25 t horn wil work. And definitely run a servo saver, as it isolated the servo from the heaviest shocks. Without one, the teeth in the servo will get trashed and stripped.
And like @SrC recommended, these servos are better than the Spektrum ones, half the price, and last much longer.
https://www.amazon.com/ZOSKAY-Water...-3-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/ZOSKAY-Corel...8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1
I usually go for the 35kg units, even in smaller rigs. You will want a 180° servo, not a 270°.
Funny you said that, while the local shop I bought the vorteks from was looking at the rig, they had to re-bind the DX3 transmitter every time they powered it off and on. Once I replaced the servo it stopped happening
Oddly, bad servos can cause the weirdest behavior that you’d never expect. There has been more than one person that have replaced expensive ESC’s only to find that their symptoms were caused by a wonky servo.

Those are pretty crap. At least the 25kg one. They are like 15kg. The ds3218pro seems to be stronger faster and more durable. Idk about the 35kg. My 25kg failed on me. The pro version has alloy gear
The DS3235 35 kg servos have all metal steel gears including output shaft/spline. , and not Brass output shafts. Softer Brass snaps and/or Spline strips quite easily. I only use 25kg. in my smaller 2WD 1/10 models if that. I never ran DS3218's. Too weak for me to begin with, on 1/8 heavy rigs.
Running a DS3235 on 7.2-7.4 volts BEC will get you close enough to 35 kg of torque. And be a bit faster as well.

Last edited:
I did, they sent servo gears, not a servo
Spektrum was being very cheap about that. That servo costs the 3 nickels. The gear set only costs them 1 Nickel. They should have sent you the Whole servo.:mad:
Are you even familiar with swapping out a servo's Gear set? Greasing the gears and reassembly properly.
And if you are very familiar with servos, then TBH, you would already know not to waste your time on their garbage RTR servos.
Cheap servos taken apart tend to no longer be Water Resistant anymore. If you are not careful enough with the seals.. You end up just spinning your wheels there.

Spektrum was being very cheap about that. That servo costs the 3 nickels. The gear set only costs them 1 Nickel. They should have sent you the Whole servo.:mad:
Are you even familiar with swapping out a servo's Gear set? Greasing the gears and reassembly properly.
And if you are very familiar with servos, then TBH, you would already know not to waste your time on their garbage RTR servos.
Cheap servos taken apart tend to no longer be Water Resistant anymore. If you are not careful enough with the seals.. You end up just spinning your wheels there.
Spektrum didnt send the gears, Horizon Hobby support did, they said they don't have any servos in stock to send me for warranty either. Ironically the S652 I ordered from ebay showed up but in the package was a Spektrum S662 and its a 25T servo with 14kg so I clicked one of the amazon links posted above and bought 2 of the DS3235’s and an Arrma 25t servo saver along with a snap ring kit just in case I need to tighten it up a bit. I really appreciate the advice. Oh, I may need to pick everyones brain about necessary upgrades for the Kraton 6s I just ordered, its just a V5 BLX so not the exb. I paid $499, the only thing I saw that people said was a must was upgrading the steering knuckles to metal ones. I don't do a lot of extreme bashing so I only need the things that break easily

and yet still no support from Horizon Hobby. They say they still don't have parts in stock for warranty!!!!!🤬

Spektrum didnt send the gears, Horizon Hobby support did
Spektrum is Horizon Hobby is Arrma. All the same company, and the support staff and warehousing is common to all the HH brands.

HH gets parts in batches from their OEM's, so it's not uncommon for either really common failing items or rarely failing items to have spares go in and out of stock.

Back