Infraction Are hoons intentionally low traction to make things more hoony™️ or drifty™️?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chilly81

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Granite
  3. Typhon 3s
I'm awaiting my first road car - an infraction 6s - and I need to get some tires. I know they come with hoons and there are few grade/colors/types of hoons. I've played with a set off a felony on my typhon just for fun, so have an idea of the traction I can expect.

So I'm wondering, are those tires intended to encourage more drifting and burnouts and general hooning around? Like what if you wanted to run a flat road course race like with indy cars or GT touring cars (not competitively, just for fun).... would Hoons be a terrible option, and you'd want a different style tire that is more focused on pure road traction for cornering and accelerating as fast as possible? I know there are pure drift tires that are pretty hard and would be horrible for any type of traditional racing... so just wondering where that hoons style falls, since it is also an odd material - kind of a cross between foam and rubber, as opposed to a standard rubber tire.

TL;DR - What if you wanted to be as fast as possible on a road course with an infraction, what tires would you put on it?

Gold hoons or low S GRPs will give the best grip for course racing. They will naturally wear out faster with the softer compound.

You can't Tradmark those words.

I don't think you can TM a person?
1675809891547.png

And Drifty is word... apparently. Who knew?
1675810298239.png

:eek:

I'm sure Arrma picked an all around compound that is a reasonable price. But just like on full size cars there are better choices, it just depends on what you want to do.

The Hoony and Drifty part comes from having a giant motor, giant motor, giant ESC and a heavy trigger finger. This is what happens when you pin it on sticky tires, so why would the hoons have a chance?

I'm sure Arrma picked an all around compound that is a reasonable price. But just like on full size cars there are better choices, it just depends on what you want to do.

The Hoony and Drifty part comes from having a giant motor, giant motor, giant ESC and a heavy trigger finger. This is what happens when you pin it on sticky tires, so why would the hoons have a chance?

Yeah with these beasts, you cold wrap a wheel in chewing gum and they could spin them. These 6s+ rigs are so overpowered it's amazing. I was just curious in general if the hoons specifically were made more for... well... hooning... and not as much for cornering. I don't have too much relevant data so more just curious. All the videos are of people just hooning around, although I did see one guy do a street race with some more appropriate (indy) cars and although he didn't win, he wasn't a joke. And I was wondering if he could be using hoons on that run, or some modified setup.

The only partially relevant experience i have is:
-My stock 3s typhon can spin around like it's on ice with felony front hoons - i'd say they are looser than stock typhon tires.
-I have a set of duratrax banditos for my old losi 22-4 and they are 'street' and they are a far different feeling material than the hoons. They are what you'd expect - rubber. Seat of the pants feel is that they have better traction than hoons.... different car though, so could be misleading.

I definitely just need one of each... sticky road course tires, and skating on ice drifty ones I think.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back