Arrma 3s power in HP ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pitbullo

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Ok I tried some calculations here, just for fun, but I am not sure I got it right. I wanted to find out how much power the motor in my Granite puts out at full throttle.
The ESC is 100 amps.
the battery is 3S meaning 12.6V
1W =0.00134 HP

this gives me maximum power is 12.6V x 100A=1260 W

1260W x 0.00134 = 1.688 HP

So, the Granite BLX produced almost 1.7 HP? That is quite a lot of power in a little car!

Theoretically yes, but there is an issue that ESC ratings are often inflated (as well as LiPo ratings) and the amount of current your ESC is capable of handling will be lower than 100A. You would need an ammeter to get a more accurate number, but I wouldn’t be surprised if actual power were closer to 1 HP.

Absolutely, but still, 1 HP is a lot of power.
a fun little game none the less!
if anybody with an amp-meter could get the correct data it would be quite cool!

Also you have to consider that when a load is placed on the battery the voltage sags. Without data logs to look at you would only be guessing at what happened. Castle Creations has logging on most of their ESCs.

This is an example of an 8s speed run doing around 120mph.
The Red line across the top is the voltage. You will notice as I got into the throttle and the amperage/load increased the voltage dipped.

Data values at the bottom show where it started at 33.1v and dipped to 27.7v. It still managed to output 7942w, which is ballparked around 10hp if the motor could effectively convert all that power to action. Typically motors are able to turn 90% into useful rotation, and the rest goes to heat.

Typhon 119mph 8s Capture.PNG

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back