Outcast Bash from Sunday, 08/26/2018 - emaxx wheels/tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olds97_lss

Bash Break Repeat!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Outcast 6s
Just me running on my own. Trying out some different wheels/tires to try and help my overheating issue.

Running traxxas emaxx zero offset wheels/tires. A bit more cushion than talons, but not much more weight.
Arrma backflips - 12.5oz
pro-line trencher 3.8's - 13.4oz
traxxas zero offset talons - 9.1oz
traxxas zero offset emaxx - 11.5oz

So, instead of these:
2018-0801-Outcast-Side.jpg

I'm running these:
2018-0825-Outcast-EmaxxWheelsTires-top.jpg

2018-0825-Outcast-EmaxxWheelsTires-side-BodyOn.jpg

I replaced my ring/pinion and the entire diff case for the front diff. 2 of the screws for the diff cap/cover weren't biting into much and I'm guessing that's why I knocked a couple teeth off a diff recently. That was was causing it to skip when I got on the throttle. I used 3 tamiya shims vs 2 on the ring gear as well. It had a bit of a high spot, so I ran it gently for 10 minutes or so on my bench, then took it easy for a bit of the first pack. Seems fine now.

I removed the XT90's entirely to remove the adapters and changed them to the TRX connectors I use on everything. I might switch to XT90's on everything over the winter... for now, figured I should at least remove the adapters.

I also didn't put the front sway bar back on. It drove fine for me. Just one of those stupid things I don't like dealing with when wrenching on the truck. The rear one is still on there. May take it off the next time I have to get into it.

I started with 14/50 gearing. Was a bit slow and tough to make a backflip with 4S. I switched to 15/50 after the first set of packs which made flips easier and clearing the larger gap at the skate park less terrifying. I almost overshot the big jump and landed in the trench at one point. It didn't overheat on me once and this was the hottest day I had run. It was 87F with high humidity. When on 15/50, I tried running it nonstop as much as possible with a lot of running in the grass. The motor got to 140F at the cap and the esc was at 124F. The packs got warm at 128F though. I might try 16/50 to see how it does, or just stick with 15/50 and live with it at this speed.

The body is splitting in half where had the camera mounted. It's spit completely up the side where the recess is to simulate the cab/bed separation. I took the onboard camera off after the first run.

Running with 14/50 gearing:

15/50 gearing:

The dirt pile was a lot larger when I got up to it. It's back off the highway a bit and didn't seem so big. The transition from the base to the face of the pile is too harsh really to have much fun at. I still ran a pack there, but probably won't go back unless they change it up. The dozer tracks near the bottom of it were hard to run at speed over to get enough momentum to climb the face and make a jump.

Last edited:
I think what is happening with the build up of heat in this truck is related to a few things. For me and my situation....first is running on grass. Running backflips on grass is high traction, in turn the higher grip is making for more stress on motor esc and battery. Next, air flow to electronics under the body. The side panels, front guards and the way the front of the body is........wont let much air in. Great for keeping debris out. But for air flow not so much. I believe this combination is largely the reasons for the increased heat. Fan and heatsink setup for the motor is a must if your running on grass. Lighter tires and wheels will help just due to less rotational mass. Anyways....my take on the whole thing.

I think what is happening with the build up of heat in this truck is related to a few things. For me and my situation....first is running on grass. Running backflips on grass is high traction, in turn the higher grip is making for more stress on motor esc and battery. Next, air flow to electronics under the body. The side panels, front guards and the way the front of the body is........wont let much air in. Great for keeping debris out. But for air flow not so much. I believe this combination is largely the reasons for the increased heat. Fan and heatsink setup for the motor is a must if your running on grass. Lighter tires and wheels will help just due to less rotational mass. Anyways....my take on the whole thing.
Yeah, I've thought about removing at least the front guards, mostly because they are annoying to work around. Between the low front lip of the body and the RPM bumper that comes up above it, there's not much room for air to get in there. Might have to go nitro on it and punch a hole in the windshield. After 20 years of nitro, feels weird not having a hole in the windshield. lol

Yeah, I've thought about removing at least the front guards, mostly because they are annoying to work around. Between the low front lip of the body and the RPM bumper that comes up above it, there's not much room for air to get in there. Might have to go nitro on it and punch a hole in the windshield. After 20 years of nitro, feels weird not having a hole in the windshield. lol
I drilled about 10 3/8” holes in the windshield of my outcast

If we ever decide to have an Arrma Forum get together I vote we do it where you live so we can go to that skate park. I’d be so in.

If we ever decide to have an Arrma Forum get together I vote we do it where you live so we can go to that skate park. I’d be so in.
It's not that big, or doesn't seem like it anymore. It's surprising how close things get when you have 3 or 4 guys running RC's at the same time. Tons of fun though. I've only ran with 3 or more people 5 or 6 times in 20 years. Each time was memorable. Wish I had footage of some of the past bash sessions with others. 90% of my RC life was alone.

I have to say, running with others does make it a lot more fun. Unless you happen to have "that guy" that shows up with a busted truck and spends most of the time fixing it because of poor maintenance. I'm more of a "show up ready to bash" kind of guy. Get out, run, break stuff, switch to a different truck, break stuff, go home. Or, run stuff, get heat stroke, go home. :)

The last time I ran with anyone was 11 years ago and that was one guy that who was my neighbor at the time. He had a Duratrax Warhead and I had my Savage. It was a lot of fun.

A meet would be a lot of fun but they are always hard to pull off. I did it once with a video game forum that I helped run and we had a blast. I am still friends with several of the guys who went and while I’m it CT, one is in TN, one is in MD and one in in Nova Scotia. We meet up every few years or so.

I drilled about 10 3/8” holes in the windshield of my outcast
I was going to suggest cutting a hole in the front and rear windows then shoegooing some nylon screen on the inside of the body.

We actually have a homemade rc track here, and in the past year and half since I have found it, I have seen like 5 other people out there. Most of the time I get out there and there are people with their 4-5 year old kids on little bikes riding around on it, they have no idea it is an rc track.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back