Typhon Batteries that actually fit in a Typhon?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quick

Reaction score
Hi,

Pretty much decided on a Typhon 6S (unless a new Talion is released pretty sharpish). I’m now onto sourcing batteries and charger. I didn’t quite realise it was going to be quite so complicated.

I scared myself by reading about lipo fires so I thought I’d go with hard case batteries for durability and the Spektrum smart batteries and charger as even though they’re a bit more expensive, as a newbie it’s less things I have to worry / learn about. I like the idea that the charger will look after me a bit. I’ll also get a Bat Case etc.

Arrma recommends 100C 5000mah for the Typhon but the Spektrum 6S 100C 5000mah hard case won’t fit. Neither will the soft case version. Neither will 2 x 3S hard case versions. The only option seems to be 2 x 3S soft cases but the second gen versions shown on their site don’t seem to be out yet and I can’t find first gen softcases anywhere. Did the first gens even exist?

So I thought I’d take a look on Hobby King and filtered by UK (I’m in the UK), size, spec etc and there’s none that fit those criteria.

I’ve had a look around on some other sites and I’m struggling a bit at the minute.

Does anyone use the Spektrum batteries in their 6S Typhon?

Are there any hard case options that fit in the Typhon?

Do I need to drop down from the recommended spec to make them fit?

Any other options avliable in the UK or advice?

As someone new to this, the amount of confusing spec and information is pretty overwhelming.

Thanks.

I run HRB 5000mah graphenes and smc 7200mah graphenes and they both fit. it's like 51mm is the limit on width i believe. You can go taller.

Thanks for the suggestions but I can’t seem to get either of those easily in the UK. It would mean either ordering from the US or China which seems a bit extreme for a battery.

Any other options that are available world wide?

Am I right in thinking there are no hard case options that will fit?

Thanks.

Thanks for the suggestions but I can’t seem to get either of those easily in the UK. It would mean either ordering from the US or China which seems a bit extreme for a battery.

Any other options that are available world wide?

Am I right in thinking there are no hard case options that will fit?

Thanks.
Just make sure any battery you want to try is 51mm or less wide and it’ll work

Are the length and the height not an issue?

Arrma site says max of 158x48x51mm.

Are the length and the height not an issue?

Arrma site says max of 158x48x51mm.
The typhon might be a little more restrictive but length can vary. If you look up the hrb graphenes specs I know for a fact they do fit and you can gauge off that

Thanks again.

Yeah I checked the Hrb’s you mentioned and they fit within the size stated on Arrma’s site so would be perfect but I just can’t get them in the UK as far as I can see.

The closest I can find that is actually available to buy is these Spektrums but the height is 5mm too big at 56mm rather than 51mm. Would they fit? Length and width are fine.

https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPMX50006S100

Thanks again.

Yeah I checked the Hrb’s you mentioned and they fit within the size stated on Arrma’s site so would be perfect but I just can’t get them in the UK as far as I can see.

The closest I can find that is actually available to buy is these Spektrums but the height is 5mm too big at 56mm rather than 51mm. Would they fit? Length and width are fine.

https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPMX50006S100
I’m sure they would. Just about any 5000mah pack should fit

I’m in a similar boat. Wanting to pick up a Typhon 6s (after much deliberation) but 6s batteries are hard to find in the UK.

I found this from Overlander but the price point is the same as the Spectrums at which point you’d rather go for the latter due to the smart capabilities imo.

I’m not aware of any UK Ovonic resellers either which is a shame and HRB or CNHL batteries would need to be sourced from China from either ebay or Aliexpress and the like. Plenty of 4s options though!

Would appreciate if you could update us if the Spectrum fits. Cheers.

Frustrating isn’t it.

I looked at Overlander as well, the one you linked to looks like it will fit but only 50C and as you said, expensive. The 100C version is again too big...

https://www.overlander.co.uk/lipo-b...h-22-2v-6s-100c-extreme-pro-lipo-battery.html

Without actually having the car yet it’s difficult to know what is truly the maximum size. I was hoping somone on here would be using the Spektrum batteries in a Typhon and could say for sure.

If I find anything else out I’ll update here.

I might email a couple of shops and see if they can try to fit the Spektrum in the car.

Last edited:
turnigy heavy duty 4000mah 6s 60c great for the price. don,t seem to be able to get hard case ones for some reason . get them from hobbyking uk

Frustrating isn’t it.

I looked at Overlander as well, the one you linked to looks like it will fit but only 50C and as you said, expensive. The 100C version is again too big...

https://www.overlander.co.uk/lipo-b...h-22-2v-6s-100c-extreme-pro-lipo-battery.html

Without actually having the car yet it’s difficult to know what is truly the maximum size. I was hoping somone on here would be using the Spektrum batteries in a Typhon and could say for sure.

If I find anything else out I’ll update here.

I might email a couple of shops and see if they can try to fit the Spektrum in the car.
You would have thought Spectrum would make sure all their batteries would fit Arrma cars so it’s bizzare that they’ve not sized them for one of their main products!

I may do the same and email a few shops. Incredibly frustrating given we’ve finally nice weather and can’t source batteries quickly!

turnigy heavy duty 4000mah 6s 60c great for the price. don,t seem to be able to get hard case ones for some reason . get them from hobbyking uk
Thanks for the suggestion hobo but I’m trying to stick to the recommended 5000mah or above and 100C or above if I can (although looks like I can’t at the minute). Not sure it will make much difference but as it’s new to me it will at least give me a point of reference if I then deviate in the future.

You would have thought Spectrum would make sure all their batteries would fit Arrma cars so it’s bizzare that they’ve not sized them for one of their main products!

I may do the same and email a few shops. Incredibly frustrating given we’ve finally nice weather and can’t source batteries quickly!

Yes you’d think so wouldn’t you. 2 x 3S gen 2 versions do look like they’ll fit but doesn’t look like they’ll be in stock until the autumn. Weirdly a single 6S gen 2 is bigger than 2 3S gen 2s and also bigger than a 6S gen 1.

I emailed Model Sport, Wheelspin and Make It Build It.

Last edited:
With a Typhon V5:

Two 3S Gen 1 Spektrum batteries will fit in the battery tray but the body will not fit as it should

One 4S Gen 1 Spektrum battery fits in the battery tray

One 6S Gen 1 Spektrum battery fits turned 90 degrees in the battery tray

Don't know about the Gen II batteries

With a Typhon V5:

Two 3S Gen 1 Spektrum batteries will fit in the battery tray but the body will not fit as it should

One 4S Gen 1 Spektrum battery fits in the battery tray

One 6S Gen 1 Spektrum battery fits turned 90 degrees in the battery tray

Don't know about the Gen II batteries

Thanks, that’s very useful info. I assume the body fits OK with the 6S? And is that for the 5000mah 100C?

Thanks again.

Thanks, that’s very useful info. I assume the body fits OK with the 6S? And is that for the 5000mah 100C?

Thanks again.
The body fits like it should with the Spektrum 5000mah 6S 100C Gen 1 turned 90 degrees in the battery tray

A side note, you may not need a 6S depending on where you plan on running your car

I use a 3S and 4S on the road (I run on narrow roads with 90 degree concrete curbs, ouch)
I use the 4S and 6S in open fields or large parking lots
The 6S even at 50% is too much battery on my streets

Hope this helps, good luck

Last edited:
hola para lo que tu quieres hay unos prolongadores que los ha ces con un torno y ya esta te paso unas imagenes es de una tienda de españa si te interesa te paso el link haber si te sirve saludos y con esto podras ponner 2 baterias duras una encima de la otra
Captura de pantalla 2021-06-07 a las 20.13.01.png
Captura de pantalla 2021-06-07 a las 20.14.39.png
Captura de pantalla 2021-06-07 a las 20.15.53.png

I have a Typhon 6S with the blue body that I’ve only driven four times because of this exact reason. I’m leery about dropping $140 on a soft pack 6S Jens ace. I don’t have good luck with batteries.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back