Typhon Typhon V1 - Differential does not fit in

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deguezli

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a V1 Typhon laying around for quite a few years. Back then I had to partly disassemble it due to the rear differential being shot - as far as I could tell back then, dirt must have gotten inside causing the main gear and main input gear to strip. I ordered the replacement parts as per the explosion views in the manual (AR310441 and AR310468).

Recently I tried getting back into the hobby with my Slash 2WD VXL and Monster Tiger MT4 G3 and wanted to drive my Typhon as well, so I wanted to repair it. Unfortunately I cannot fit the differential into the housing with the main input gear in place. Without the main input gear in place it fits in just fine, but with the main input gear I cannot push the side of the differential with the main gear in all the way.
I also tried fitting the differential into the front differential housing where I did not replace the main input gear but it does not fit as well.
According to the manual for the Typhon V5 both main gear and main input gear have the same part number, so I assume they are correct.

Does anyone have an idea what I am doing wrong or maybe had the same issue?

Thank you

Edit: I also tried the ARA311055 main input gear (Safe-D) hoping that would solve my problem. It does feel like the differential fits in slightly better, but I still cannot get it in all the way.

Hello all,

I have a V1 Typhon laying around for quite a few years. Back then I had to partly disassemble it due to the rear differential being shot - as far as I could tell back then, dirt must have gotten inside causing the main gear and main input gear to strip. I ordered the replacement parts as per the explosion views in the manual (AR310441 and AR310468).

Recently I tried getting back into the hobby with my Slash 2WD VXL and Monster Tiger MT4 G3 and wanted to drive my Typhon as well, so I wanted to repair it. Unfortunately I cannot fit the differential into the housing with the main input gear in place. Without the main input gear in place it fits in just fine, but with the main input gear I cannot push the side of the differential with the main gear in all the way.
I also tried fitting the differential into the front differential housing where I did not replace the main input gear but it does not fit as well.
According to the manual for the Typhon V5 both main gear and main input gear have the same part number, so I assume they are correct.

Thank you

Edit: I also tried the ARA311055 main input gear (Safe-D) hoping that would solve my problem. It does feel like the differential fits in slightly better, but I still cannot get it in all the way.
Pictures might help?

Pictures might help?
PXL_20230521_135835499.jpg
PXL_20230521_135906500.jpg
PXL_20230521_135959264.jpg

The attached images are with the Safe-D main input gear. This is as far as I can get the differential in. I also had to replace the bearings, could that be an issue? Without the main input gear it fits in all the way.
PXL_20230521_141052769.jpg

View attachment 301084View attachment 301085View attachment 301086
The attached images are with the Safe-D main input gear. This is as far as I can get the differential in. I also had to replace the bearings, could that be an issue? Without the main input gear it fits in all the way.
View attachment 301087
It looks to me like the big bearing behind the input gear may not be seated all the way or may be the wrong size (1mm too thick?) because it should sit flush with the inside of the housing

20230521_093341.jpg

20230521_093410.jpg

I just tried the original (seized up) bearing, unfortunately still the same outcome. My housing looks different though, I have a metal insert where the main input gear bearings go - might it be worth a shot to order a new one? Parts Number went from AR310427 to AR310854.
PXL_20230521_162458378.jpg

Hello all,

Thank you

V1's had a different Bulkhead part# if I am correct. Might need to use the current bulkheads. They were improved as well.
@slick2500 would know best?

Last edited:
V1's had a different Bulkhead part# if I am correct. Might need to use the current bulkheads. They were improved as well.
@slick2500 would know best?
Internally they are the same. They revised the gearboxes for V3 and just added some more material and the ribs to the gearbox case. The V1-V2 gearboxes didn't have the ribbing on the outside.

Internally they are the same. They revised the gearboxes for V3 and just added some more material and the ribs to the gearbox case. The V1-V2 gearboxes didn't have the ribbing on the outside.
So most likely it would not make sense to buy the new one, right?
I also tried installing the diff with the old input gear that has quite a lot of wear, even with that one I could not get it in all the way.
Then I compared it to the front diff and noticed that the new main gear does appear to have way larger teeth? The front diff is still the original one, I cannot tell how much worn it is.. Could the main gear be faulty / too big?
PXL_20230524_103143441.jpg
PXL_20230524_102659206.jpg

Yeah, just get and use the currently available Bulkheads. And always replace the Main Gear and Input gear, New as a set.
The stocker plastic bulkheads wear out and are very inexpensive to replace. The old version is not even available anymore. The current revision is what you use now. The old version that you have there has been upgraded with better ribbing and strength like @slick2500 stated above. Looks like your Bulkhead there is somewhat distorted already. Start fresh.

Below is the complete assembly. Just need to open it up and top off the Diff oil and shim it well before installing it.
Buy 2, for both Fr and Rr. What I would do. All new.

https://jennysrc.com/collections/no...fferential-front-rear-factory-built-ara8606v5

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back