Big Rock Better servo saver?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTitanium

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. BigRock 4x4
  3. Granite Grom
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Nero
  6. Infraction 4x4
The stock unit is weak. Looking for a high quality unit for a 25 spline servo. Thinking of going solid and let the dice roll.

How’s the HR ATF48SH25 unit? Looks more like eye candy, IMHO.

Kimbrough No. 124 has been a proven contender in the last 25+ years, true.

Your thoughts? Options?

Not sure on the HR unit as I have seen mixed results so I never tried it.

For me the stock unit was better than the Kimbrough, the Kimbrough started out nice but after a few runs it developed major slop and wouldn't center. I went back to the stock unit because it at least centered.

If there was a way to add a stiffer spring to the stock one we would be all set. Not even sure Where to start, maybe stick the Kimbrough spring in the Arrma SS? 🤔

This is the kimbrough servo saver I put in my kraton 4s. 8 runs on 4s and still tight.https://www.amainhobbies.com/kimbrough-large-extra-strong-servo-saver-universal-spline-connector-1-kim124/p4584?gclid=Cj0KCQjwm66pBhDQARIsALIR2zCHPF4_Peg-ghPzihFR4I2h09yGBFTQ-h9VLBrJYHCTyDEmi9NN6iIaAhsYEALw_wcB

Yeah the large HD 124 Kimbrough SS is as good as Kimbrough gets. Not Perfect. I notice slop after a while too, when the springs get well used. They compress and you get sloppy steering that drifts. Been there. I guess they are cheap enough to replace??? Universal spline for $8. This Kimb. SS has been around for decades.
Or get the Stocker Arrma one as stated above.
All these types of SS/Arms are basically consumable RC items IMO. From experience. I have the 124 HD in several 1/10 models here. Not Arrma's. I also heard the HR variant is not all that.

http://kimbroughracingproducts.com/store/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=208

I know there was a popular RC brand that made a quality OE SS for one of their 1/10 model lines. I forget which brand. Guys were using them in other rigs. Perhaps Tamiya or Kyosho? Not sure.

Last edited:
Better than the red stock one. How long before she gets sloppy? As SrC said consumable parts.
Screenshot_20231015_225043_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
^^^
That's the HD 124.(y)
Has the supposedly Heavy Duty stiffer spring.;)
I put a link to Kimbrough's website above.. All their SS's are listed there. Take your pick.

^^^
That's the HD 124.(y)
Has the supposedly Heavy Duty stiffer spring.;)
I put a link to Kimbrough's website above.. All their SS's are listed there. Take your pick.
Sometimes not easy to find this specific one.

The stock unit is weak. Looking for a high quality unit for a 25 spline servo. Thinking of going solid and let the dice roll.

How’s the HR ATF48SH25 unit? Looks more like eye candy, IMHO.

Kimbrough No. 124 has been a proven contender in the last 25+ years, true.

Your thoughts? Options?
@SrC right on with the Kimbrough 124

When I came on the scene in 2020 and got a Granite, I read this post as a very newbie and added the 124 to mine and my Big Rock. It has been sold since with no issues to date. However, you will need to modify it, but it works.

Post: https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/standard-process-for-replacing-a-servo.23266/post-321964

+1
I went solid on a few rigs. Not my true bashers however.
I even drilled a hole through one of my Kimbroughs and pinned it locked. Just need a nice strong Steel geared servo for sure. It will have plenty of steering no doubt this way. But the risk of servo damage becomes greater. Depends on how you drive. Heavy wheels etc. And 99% of Crawlers use no servo saver at all, FWIW. So it can be done.
Appears the HR ones are just bling. Never had one, but many have stayed away from them. Bad reviews even way back...like @slick2500 stated.

I’ve used the stock 23t and 25t, the HR variant, and a solid horn on my 4s granite/kraton hybrid.

I’m running the red arrma 25t right now, and it’s sloppy. It’s good for rougher bashing/jumping.

Usually, I tend to race more than jump, so the solid horn that came with the Amazon servo worked great until I smacked a rock at speed. Servo is fine, but it stripped the teeth right out of the horn. -honestly, a better fail point than inside the servo.

The HR saver I have still is great itself, but the universal adapter cups are garbage. I shredded all 3 (just mashed the other 2 on after the 25t split) relatively quickly. If the kimbrough cups fit the HR saver, we might have a good solution… or if HR sold just the adapters instead of the whole $20 package. The big bonus with that HR saver is that it comes with the aluminum fixed link. -very hard to find one of those without all the bell crank pieces too.

Considering that the 3s and 4s lineups are almost the only cars that have a “saver,” I lean toward going back to a solid horn (which has to be cut down to fit).

Haven't tried the HR one, been tempted, but not for ~$20, and anyway it seems to have just as bad of reviews as the Kimbrough's.

I've been through two Kimbrough's, both started to develope slop after just a dozen runs or so, and unacceptable slop after a few months. Can't recommend based on my experience.

I've resorted to the squishy red Arrma one. It's too soft, but I haven't had any slop issues with it.

HR user here for about 3 years now, I use them on all my 3s rigs.. no problems!! 💯

FWIW the 6s and 8s rigs also use savers!! 😎

Yes but not servo mounted servo savers.
Haven't tried the HR one, been tempted, but not for ~$20, and anyway it seems to have just as bad of reviews as the Kimbrough's.

I've been through two Kimbrough's, both started to develope slop after just a dozen runs or so, and unacceptable slop after a few months. Can't recommend based on my experience.

I've resorted to the squishy red Arrma one. It's too soft, but I haven't had any slop issues with it.
Yeah that's about how the first one went that I bought. I never bothered trying another one. The Senton is still on the stock servo saver from 2020 and it does not have much if any slop in it. All the suspension slop is in the plastic pillow balls.

Yes but not servo mounted servo savers.

Yeah that's about how the first one went that I bought. I never bothered trying another one. The Senton is still on the stock servo saver from 2020 and it does not have much if any slop in it. All the suspension slop is in the plastic pillow balls.
Fwiw, I tried a large first and a medium Kimbrough second, thinking maybe it was in the design. Nope, it's not.

Fwiw, I tried a large first and a medium Kimbrough second, thinking maybe it was in the design. Nope, it's not.
I still say that those servo savers are just not up to snuff to be run on anything 1/10 4x4. A bell crank mounted servo saver would have been much better.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back