Big Rock Big Rock 3S BLX: New wheels / Tires for Clay Tracks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adaptive

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

One of my son's really wants to get his Big Rock out in the novice class at our local track. I understand the Big Rock will never be made into a 'race car', however videos like this one (
) seem reasonable to me. A worker at the track told my son the 1/10 2WD slash can clear the jumps no problem, and that his Big Rock should be able to as well on 2S. We only have 2S packs anyways, so now he has his heart set on this. I think its a great idea and if he really likes going to the track, we can build a proper race machine later for him. A bunch of other thread I have read say 95% of the upgrades we can do is the tires (to start).

However, I am still kind of new to the upgrading of these things and quickly got confused with matching up the available options with what will fit. This video references SCT wheels I think, which are different sizes on the inside and outside ?? Do I want to look into this or should I instead be looking at 1/8 scale buggy wheels. I think the stock diameter of the tires on the Big Rock are less than 1/2" bigger than the diameter of the typhon wheels (brother has a typhon). I found the buggy tires here ( https://teams.prolineracing.com/tires/positron-1-8-buggy-tires.asp ) . Can anyone offer some guidance?

Constraints:
* Local track is the super hard / fast clay
* Bashing is either on grass / pavement (e.g. at the house) or on hiking trails etc.
* So I will most likely still want to keep the normal wheels / tires on when not doing the track experiment.
* I'm open to swapping out parts on the truck itself, but the stock wheels/tires seem to do well enough for bashing around. Ideally, I would like to be able to just swap one set of wheels for another when it is clay track day.

Hey,

For track use I would recommend changing out the Hexes for 17mm instead of the 14mm hexes that come with the big rock. This way you have basically unlimited options for 1/8 scale buggy tires. There are many compounds and brands. I am not into racing so I am not familiar with any but a little research on tires will go a long way.

I know you want to keep you stock wheels for bashing so by a 14mm to 17mm wheel hex adapter.

If running 2s gear up a couple teeth on the pinion to keep top speed or if your track is small then keep gearing for more play around with your gearing you can achieve you desirable top speed. The gearing all depends on your track size.

Next to tires are diff oils and shock tuning.
I'd upgrade to the 6s arrma shocks (read the thread at the top of the 4x4 page) for more tuning options and stock up on some different diff oils to try out.

You can adjust punch and brake % also on the stock esc which will be another thing to play with for the track.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back