Calling all young drivers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miata_meistro

I 💖Truggies
ArrmaForum Fan
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 4s
  2. Talion
This applies to all the teens and people in mid 20s. How much is yalls insurance.back when I was on my fathers plan I was paying 30 a month and im getting my own insurance as soon as I get my licence and im scared cause I allready have 1 incident on my record lol

Scared is good, when it comes to driving. Experience with accidents usually makes you drive better. I'm not young, Have had several accidents. 2 cars totaled out. Fault is not the issue here in most cases. The odds are against you depending how many miles you have under your belt. No accidents in the last 20 years however. With more than a Million driving miles under my belt.
I was on my fathers Plan way back. It was a bit cheaper. Just when you become 25+ years old, premiums should drop if accident free and no speeding or moving violations for like 4+consecutive years. Best to have your own policy at some point. It shows you are a more responsible driver to the Ins. underwriter. When I first got my own policy I was under the 'Assigned Risk" plan in my state, and yes it was costly. Is what it is. But my fathers Ins rate dropped considerably for him when on my own policy. When you live at home at the family address, and you first get your license, The insurance generally goes up immediatley for your father/ mother. It is assumed you have access to the family car now as a valid driver and are just an additional young inexperienced driver, a big liability in your household according to the Ins. Company.. My son is only 13 now, but in 4 years he will be in the same boat. Me as well, paying more $$ because he is a new driver living at my address. It a good idea to get a Driver Safety Class every so often. Usually one 10 hour class or (2) 5 hour 2 day class. Get the Certificate and send it to your Ins. company of your father's/ mother's company. This reduces the insurance liability premium by 10% depending where you live. Been doing this for years now. 10% savings adds up. The classes are not expensive. Sometimes just $50. Sometimes you can even do it online.
Good luck. :cool:

Last edited:
So when I first looked at quotes I got it for I think $180 a month from esurance and me and my parents split it 50/50. Then I looked into allstate and started getting it for 110 a month until I had to send my report card in🤣. Than my mom switched most of our insurance over to all state when she found out how cheap I was getting it, I canceled mine and she put me on her policy. So I'm not actually sure what it's costing right now but if you got good grades and drive a safe car you should get good rates. Keep in mind I got those rates driving a 89 jeep comanche with no safety options. I wanted a quote from progressive and they quoted me 220 a month🤯 I said eff that. Also when I knew what my monthly cost was I just had liability insurance, which is the bare minimum. It will be expensive, there's no getting around that. I'm 17 now.

+!
pretty much how it is here in the States.
I have 2 cars here in NYS where I permanently live. Full coverage, Liability and Comprehensive as well. High coverage because I own a home, etc. Aprox $2K per year.
I just recently took over my moms car in FL. , It is mine now, She is diabled. This car, identcial to my one car here in NYS a 2006 Toy Highlander. 6 Airbags all, stability and ABS around etc. All the current safety features.
Same insurance company, Geico. Geico wants double the premium I pay up here to insure just this one car down in FL. Just basic liability, no less. It just sits there most of the time unused, till I fly down to FL. I did this to save money on Car rentals down there. $1k a week for stupid Car rentals
these days. I take several trips a year to FL. Made sense to me. FL car insurance is through the roof. Not just House and Flood Ins., for obvious weather reasons.
Ins. companies do rate the Car in Question, not just the driver, when underwriting a policy. Some cars are simply less safe and have poorer crash ratings, so I buy cars that have good crash safety ratings. I call the Ins. Co. to get quotes on different models and brands first before I buy one. Insurance companies always consider this. You would be surprised as to the difference in Rates simply based on the model , year and brand. My Fast sports car days are over. I remember my first New Car was an '83 Toy Supra, I was on assigned risk at the time. Was 20 yo. Cost me a fortune, Comprehensive coverage and all.

I absolutely recommend taking the Defensive Driving safety course, everyone in your household who has a driver license. 10% discount truly helps out.
Geico offered to reduce my rate if I used their tracking devce in my car, to reduce my rate. I said NO Thank you. But that can also reduce your rates. It helps them know how you drive and "supposedly" Underwrites the policy better. Just, I think that can go the other way also. It tracks mileage, speed and exactly where you go. I think its BS. A privacy issue IMO. Can work against you. Especially if you have a car accident that wasn't your fault at all. And maybe it showed you were over the speed limit by 3 MPH. Then you are screwed.
>>>BTW, always good to have a Dash cam in your car. I run 2 of them. One out the back window as well. I don't play around.:cool:

Last edited:
Its in my experience with a whole lot of traffic violation's that state farm has been cheapest throughout the years.
All state is a rip off.
I had them sign my truck up for thier milage program because I rarely drive it and when I do its short distances. They were charging milage I wasn't even driving. I had a minimum of 300 miles I could drive for like $10/ month. In 6mo time I never drove over 150 a month and figured out I was being charged as if I'd driven like 2500 miles a month.
Went from super cheap to way more then what a standard plan was costing me.
The truck was broke down for 2mo of that time and they claimed I was driving it X amount of miles.
All state is a joke. Just my opinion.

Ps. If you do get traffic violation's, pay the extra and take the supervision to remove them from your record. They play hell with your insurance.

Ps. If you do get traffic violation's, pay the extra and take the supervision to remove them from your record. They play hell with your insurance.
Supervision? All i know is that I got a ticket for an expired permit and I payed it when it was due but what is supervision

It’s going to depend on your car and how much coverage obviously. A POS will be cheaper than a lambo.

Supervision? All i know is that I got a ticket for an expired permit and I payed it when it was due but what is supervision

In a lot of cases you can request for the ticket to be dropped if you take supervision. Basically means if you go x-amount of time without any violations they will drop the ticket and it won't go on record.
Costs more, but insurance raising over tickets cost way more in the long run.

Idk if every state has it or how it works if so. I'm in Illinois and its always been a thing. If it weren't for that I would not have a license. My right foot is/was very heavy. 🤣

In a lot of cases you can request for the ticket to be dropped if you take supervision. Basically means if you go x-amount of time without any violations they will drop the ticket and it won't go on record.
Costs more, but insurance raising over tickets cost way more in the long run.

Idk if every state has it or how it works if so. I'm in Illinois and its always been a thing. If it weren't for that I would not have a license. My right foot is/was very heavy. 🤣
poop i wish I knew that. I allready paid the ticket lol. Its was only 183 dollars for going 80 in a 45.... can't stress how important it is to be friends with cops

poop i wish I knew that. I allready paid the ticket lol. Its was only 183 dollars for going 80 in a 45.... can't stress how important it is to be friends with cops

I was on supervision for 1 year on my first ever ticket 🤣
It was actually a felony back then and so it wasn't very simple. Lawyers and court was involved. That ticket wasn't cheap in the end. I think it cost close to 5k.
Don't be dumb 🤣

Edit-
For clarification.... I was paced at 96 in a 50... it was the week the city got an un-marked mustang.. he flew up on me and I took off thinking he wanted to race. We went into a long left hand corner and his last known speed on me was 96.. luckily he let off while I left that corner at closer to 105. He flipped the lights on as we went into it.
Oops...

Now days its common for there to be un-marjed cars of all sorts around. Back then it was extremely rare to see an un-marked. And if there was it was almost guaranteed a crown vic.

Last edited:
This applies to all the teens and people in mid 20s. How much is yalls insurance.back when I was on my fathers plan I was paying 30 a month and im getting my own insurance as soon as I get my licence and im scared cause I allready have 1 incident on my record lol
Trug, when I was your age my insurance payment was double my car payment. I wanted a brand new 1991 Mustang GT and I worked my tail off for it. Good times 👍🏻

My insurance gives me a 75% discount. Which is the maximum discount you can get over here for not causing damage for 10 years or longer.
"Not causing damage" because damage caused by others won't affect your discount.
I pay 30€ a month for full coverage.
I am driving a 2005 Ford Focus. Just liability would cost me 10€ a month. But for the 20€ more, why should i take the risk?

I don't really think there are truly discounts. They over inflate prices just like the medical field does. DR's know how much they want to make so everything is over billed to your insurance. Car insurance is the same way. WE are all paying high prices to cover to the ones who don't carry insurance.

Good luck bud .that one accident plus you being in the risk pool untill your 25 ,it's going to be a rough time ahead on high monthly insurance payments..my youngest is 19 and I'm paying 297.00 every month for his insurance .and I'm getting credits for him being a high honor student and he just started college and that's cause he's under my insurance policy.if he wasn't monthly payment would have been 400 plus..😬 I have progressive casualty. Good luck .

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back