Confused by these amp ratings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is rather hard to make a motor good on such big differences on voltage, but with enough gearing it should perform well on 4s. The only issues is that you start to draw a lot of amperage when you take away the gearing torque by using a large pinion.

I'd just use whatever controller you have to limit the throttle, if it has that function. The stock Spektrum ones have that feature, and I've heard most higher-end ones also have it somewhere.
It also saves you some money and is less of a hassle as you'll only need 6s batts.

I'd just use whatever controller you have to limit the throttle, if it has that function. The stock Spektrum ones have that feature, and I've heard most higher-end ones also have it somewhere.
It also saves you some money and is less of a hassle as you'll only need 6s batts.
I’ve tried this in the past and it seems to mess with braking power. Stopping becomes harder and inconsistent.

Last year Robert, an engineer from Castle Creations used to get on the forum. ( I think he got in trouble for saying too much because he no longer comes here)
He said it was not a good idea for the ESC to spend a majority of its time in midrange throttle. The topic of running the throttle limited to 50% was the specific topic that sparked his response on this. The midrange is where the switching is very active and you can see in nearly all castle data logs the mid range is where the ripple voltage/current occurs. So he recommended for the best health of the ESC to not set throttle limiting at those 50 or 75% values....

Of course we know that they need to and do run in the mid range all the time without issues, but thought I would share that info from the castle engineer's perspective.

Last year Robert, an engineer from Castle Creations used to get on the forum. ( I think he got in trouble for saying too much because he no longer comes here)
He said it was not a good idea for the ESC to spend a majority of its time in midrange throttle. The topic of running the throttle limited to 50% was the specific topic that sparked his response on this. The midrange is where the switching is very active and you can see in nearly all castle data logs the mid range is where the ripple voltage/current occurs. So he recommended for the best health of the ESC to not set throttle limiting at those 50 or 75% values....

Of course we know that they need to and do run in the mid range all the time without issues, but thought I would share that info from the castle engineer's perspective.
That’s an interesting take. Thanks. Something else odd about the throttle limiters is that they’re not super precise. I tested some transmitters a while back and found the voltage output to be inconsistent with % settings when set below 100%.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back