Running Lipos with different C ratings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godale03

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I am curious as to if I can run a 3S 5000mAh 100C Spektrum G2 pack with a 3S 5000mAh 50C pack in my Kraton? Thanks

Tom

Lipo capacity and "actual C rating" both affect how much energy is drained from the battery during power draw. IR is the best measurement for determining capability of lipo packs to deliver power. If two lipos have different capability to deliver power, one could potentially discharge down too low before your ESC senses and kicks in low voltage cutoff. This is the same effect as running a lipo with one bad cell (higher IR than the rest of the cells). EDIT: the byproduct of high IR is lots of excess energy drawn from the cell or pack which manifests itself in lots of heat.

Is it recommended? No.

Can it be done if you apply conservativism, wisdom, and frequent monitoring? Yes. If you do want to try, I would consider getting IR data on each of these packs. If they are relatively similar, that might give you more confidence to run them together.

Last edited:
When running lipo batteries in series both batteries must be from the same manufacturer, from the same series, have the same capacity, have the same c rate and be around the same age(you do not want to run a battery that you've had for 6 months with dozens of cycles with a new one).

These same rules apply to basically any battery. I always assume that it is common knowledge because I was taught this in school, apparently my 5th grade teacher was the only one on the planet that instilled this knowledge upon people when we were studying electricity and batteries. 🤷‍♂️

You can connect batteries in series regardless of their amp output (C rating), as long as they have the same voltage and capacity. Connecting them in series adds their voltages. However, the total amp draw is determined by the battery with the lower amp output. If one is older and might not have the same MAH it once did, that’s when you up the LVC and use the thing placed on your shoulders. This practice should be used on brand new packs too, you never know.

When running lipo batteries in series both batteries must be from the same manufacturer, from the same series, have the same capacity, have the same c rate and be around the same age(you do not want to run a battery that you've had for 6 months with dozens of cycles with a new one).

These same rules apply to basically any battery. I always assume that it is common knowledge because I was taught this in school, apparently my 5th grade teacher was the only one on the planet that instilled this knowledge upon people when we were studying electricity and batteries. 🤷‍♂️

Of course you COULD, but why you Should do it doesn't make sense. Maybe it's my OCD or what. But as others suggested it's likely not best practice. I could cut corners every day or choose to do them the correct way. Just how I view things, but I am kinda OCD so this would just drive me insane anyways 🙃

Last edited:
You can connect batteries in series regardless of their amp output (C rating), as long as they have the same voltage and capacity. Connecting them in series adds their voltages. However, the total amp draw is determined by the battery with the lower amp output. If one is older and might not have the same MAH it once did, that’s when you up the LVC and use the thing placed on your shoulders. This practice should be used on brand new packs too, you never know.

In theory yes you can, in practice it's not that simple. I would rather just not have to worry about it and not have to change my LVC every time I change packs. No need to make things more complicated than they need to be.

So in conclusion:

Can you? Yes.
Recommended? No (however, if you don’t want to spend the money on 2 brand new “matching” packs, you’re call)
Will it kill my truck or the packs: No.
Do I have to keep an eyeball on the LVC: Yes.

I want my cookie now. 😜

So in conclusion:

Can you? Yes.
Recommended? No (however, if you don’t want to spend the money on 2 brand new “matching” packs, you’re call)
Will it kill my truck or the packs: No.
Do I have to keep an eyeball on the LVC: Yes.

I want my cookie now. 😜
Actually yes it can kill the batteries, mainly the lower amp pack, that's why it is recommended not to do it.

I think I will err on the side of caution and just spend the money to buy 2 new packs. Mark them with the date of purchase and keep them with the Kraton. I was trying to save some money…. But $60 extra for the second pack is better than having to worry about it.

I think I will err on the side of caution and just spend the money to buy 2 new packs. Mark them with the date of purchase and keep them with the Kraton. I was trying to save some money…. But $60 extra for the second pack is better than having to worry about it.
Excellent choice.👍🏻

This might explode minds.

You can run 1 3s pack and 1 2s pack in series for 5s same mah. 🤯. 😂

Excellent choice.👍🏻

This might explode minds.

You can run 1 3s pack and 1 2s pack in series for 5s same mah. 🤯. 😂
I have so much to learn….. that’s what I love about this hobby. You never know it all and you’re always learning!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back