D-Safe Pinion on Hobbywing Motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Couch_Bro

Reaction score
I’ve searched a bunch of different threads and am seeing mixed opinions on whether or not the arrma D-safe pinions will fit on non-spectrum motors. Some have said the shape is slightly different with some shafts so it won’t work.

Since some of the spectrum motors seem to be re-branded hobbywing motors, I’m thinking these pinions may fit even if they don’t work with other brand motors.

I’m trying to fit a 33 tooth D8 pinion on a hobbywing 56113 motor with an 8mm shaft. I know there are plenty of standard bore options but I don’t really like the idea of relying on a little grub screw for brakes on such a heavy rig.

Has anyone fit one of these pinions on a Hobbywing 8mm motor shaft, and if so, were any modifications necessary? I understand the e-clip won’t work with it but I’m looking to see if the pinion will physically fit into the shaft. Thanks

Most shafts have a little lip left in the front, preventing the SafeD from sliding on. Sounds weird 🤪
You can always dremel that little bit off the shaft, and it will then fit on any motor.
I ordered it and will give it a try and push back here with the results. I actually found someone in a different thread who had the exact same motor and same question. They said the pinion slid right on with no mods necessary.

I think it’s probably because hobby wing and spektrum are pretty much the same thing. Probably use the same shaft.

Got it today. Arrma part ARA311121 fit like a glove on the Hobbywing 56113 8mm shaft. This is definitely the way to go on a D shaped shaft as long as it fits. They make a bunch of different sizes too.

I obviously can’t use the E clip but my battery tray will keep the gear from falling completely off anyway. At least now I’m not relying on an M4 grub screw for brakes.

Only drawback is that Arrmas Build quality for gears is garbage. I’ve never gotten a round gear from them that doesn’t wobble including this one. It works but it’s kind of annoying.

Just took it out to test and I think I finally found the perfect pinion in spur combo for this rig.

I got a 36 tooth spur on eBay that is labeled MR-2. The bore hole is the shape of the K8 shaft with the two flat spots on it and is the perfect width so it does not even need a set screw. It’s a good quality gear that is cut and centered perfectly.

Paired with the 33t arrma D8 pinion and this truck rips. I was running 35/36 but this gearing is plenty. Seems much snappier too. Power slides around corners on dry asphalt no problem. Just thought I’d share incase anyone else is in the same boat.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back