Outcast Deanodized 8s shocks are a thing of beauty!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StephenSchandelmayer

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Gorgon
  2. Mojave 4s
  3. Outcast 4s
  4. Typhon 6s
I have done the 6s shocks but decided to do my 8s shocks and man they are gorgeous 😍
4AAC6D1E-89CE-48CC-8905-409EFF5162D3.jpeg

Having experimented with de-anodizing shocks, I always felt the shock bodies run more plush and wear out less when internally anodized. ( coated)
Polishing the inner shock body bore with a dremel and jewlers rouge will help some in this regard, once de-anodized. Shock pack can be affected also with the subtle removal of inner material. Needing to up oil weight or change out the pistons to accomadate.
I'm am anal about my shocks. I even polish the shafts in a drill when they are brand new or just rebuilding them.
Just my spin.

Edited.

Last edited:
Having experimented with de-anodizing shocks, I always felt the shock bodies run more plush and wear out less when internally andodized. ( coated)
Polishing the inner shock body bore with a dremel and jewlers rouge will help some in this regard, once de-anodized.
I'm am anal about my shocks. I even polish the shafts in a drill when they are brand new or just rebuilding them.
Just my spin.
You are probably right, I don't doubt that it makes a bit of a difference. Taking something smooth and making it not as smooth. But I love me some shiny bare metal 😁

Dit it to my wheels on myy lasernut. left the spokes anodized polished the inner rim. Been wanting to do the shocks on the Kraton but just lazy I guess. hahahaView attachment 174825
That looks sick! What was your method of getting it off?

Thanks!
I think it was green compound...the wax kind. And because I wanted only part polished I couldnt use the oven cleaner method or any other method for that matter. Green was all I had so it took longer that needed to if I was prepared. :rolleyes:

You are probably right, I don't doubt that it makes a bit of a difference. Taking something smooth and making it not as smooth. But I love me some shiny bare metal 😁
Don't get me wrong, I like the look of bare alloys. It is tops in my book.(y)

I always felt the shock bodies run more plush and wear out less when internally anodized.

They should, as bare aluminum in this application has two problems: It's relatively soft, and even when polished is still 'rough' in that it slides on other surfaces with a high coefficient of friction. Anodizing both increases surface hardness and reduces the coefficient of sliding friction.

Removing anodizing is only reasonable practice on parts that don't require wear resistance, smooth sliding or tight fitment tolerances. Shock bodies need all three so they should be left alone or stripped and re-anodized without colour dye if you want the bare metal appearance.

They should, as bare aluminum in this application has two problems: It's relatively soft, and even when polished is still 'rough' in that it slides on other surfaces with a high coefficient of friction. Anodizing both increases surface hardness and reduces the coefficient of sliding friction.

Removing anodizing is only reasonable practice on parts that don't require wear resistance, smooth sliding or tight fitment tolerances. Shock bodies need all three so they should be left alone or stripped and re-anodized without colour dye if you want the bare metal appearance.
Or I just strip the anodize off and enjoy the heck out of it and not care about technicalities that probably aren't going to make a difference. Sure on a small level I'm sure it makes a change. But at the end of the day we are beating the piss out of these things anyways so what's the difference

I have done the 6s shocks but decided to do my 8s shocks and man they are gorgeous 😍View attachment 174790
Yeah they look awesome! I was gonna do mine but want to wait for the weekend so I enjoy my new motor esc combo after work this week. I plan on plugging the ends so the inside doesn’t get de anodized. I have been doing little stuff so far, this is as far as I gotten. Might even do the chassis, not 100% on that yet since I plan on getting n the M2C one.

1623425B-654E-43BA-8495-D18A1A8D82A3.jpeg

3B84613C-CD73-4118-9282-D87FB7D68668.jpeg

Yeah they look awesome! I was gonna do mine but want to wait for the weekend so I enjoy my new motor esc combo after work this week. I plan on plugging the ends so the inside doesn’t get de anodized. I have been doing little stuff so far, this is as far as I gotten. Might even do the chassis, not 100% on that yet since I plan on getting n the M2C one.

View attachment 174943

View attachment 174944
Do it! You won't regret it

I vote for de-anodising, these are bashers not race rigs..!!
I understand the purpose of anodising and how the internals of the shocks would be better etc etc, but come on all that silver looks so much better than that crap Arrma red 😉🤣 I've wanted to do my O8s for a while, you may have just pushed me over the edge.!!
I see some de-anodising and mirror polishing in my near future 👍🏼

I understand the purpose of anodising and how the internals of the shocks would be better etc etc, but come on all that silver looks so much better than that crap Arrma red 😉🤣 I've wanted to do my O8s for a while, you may have just pushed me over the edge.!!
And deanodized shocks can be done just on the outside. Will be more of a hassle but it will preserve the anodized internal of the shock keeping its super smooth action. Downside to deanodizing is keeping up with the polishing...especially if you live near the ocean like I do.
GO FOR IT!!! I might even do mine soon! OCEAN OR NOT!!! HAHAHA!

Do it sir!! They look amazing. Well worth it. Just something about it makes it pop so nice especially on those gigantic shocks with the black springs. Total sweetness
And deanodized shocks can be done just on the outside. Will be more of a hassle but it will preserve the anodized internal of the shock keeping its super smooth action. Downside to deanodizing is keeping up with the polishing...especially if you live near the ocean like I do.
GO FOR IT!!! I might even do mine soon! OCEAN OR NOT!!! HAHAHA!
I did my typhon shocks awhile back and sure they aren't perfect anymore but I wouldn't spend a ton of time polishing again because just going to go back quick. Still looks nice and purdy

View attachment 174943

View attachment 174944
Looks nice ! Gotta ask, where did you get the strap clips that are holding down the battery wires?

I think I’ll wait till I’m due on my shock fluid change. But without a doubt it’s going to happen after seeing how yours came out. I knew they would look good but that really pushed me over the edge.
Yea they did. Cant wait to do mine too!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back