Decent Video, how to Gorilla tape Tyres to avoid Balooning and Go bad

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried my luck at taping, I used Simple Green on the inner of the tires first, Use a hair dryer also, Anywhere I use Gorilla tape actually. It melts the Tape adhesive well and stays put.
The tape still let go or ripped, then the tire blew out. On several tires.
I then tried using CA first, then Tape. Better results lasted slightly longer, but still the tape let go in some areas. Blow outs again.
I find Larger MT tires don't work best with taping. Smaller tires better.

I gave up on the taping thing however. Couldn't get the results I wanted. Seems that the tape gets bunched up once the tire is inverted back for mounting.
Ideally the tire should be taped without turning the tire "Inside Out" to avoid bunching up. Allowing the tire to still expand and balloon.
I tried that also. But is super hard to do evenly and neatly enough. At least for me.
Absolutely need CA if you prefer taping. How I see it. Black Rubberized IC-2000 CA is best for this. And even for the Bead of any rubber RC tires.
I also considered using Fiberglass mesh and a rubber adhesive used for tire patches. This Vulcanizes the belting material to the rubber. While not doing this with the tire turned "inside out". Best way IMHO. If you have the patience to do it.
I don't.
I also tried strapping the outer tread with Kevlar. Didn't work for me. More of a nuisance.
:cool:

Last edited:
i do sandpaper the tyres before tape, never any problem.
Done alot different tyres, all work great for me. Only Gorilla tape

Let the tape sit 48h before you drive.
I do this way.
Sand paper all 4 tires, gorilla tape them with hair dryer
Then i rest 1day and finally glue them and let them sit 1 more day before drive them
about 48h total before first drive

Done couple Prolines, Backflips, and Louise/duratrax this way

2-3 rounds tape
Most cases 3 layers in front
2 at rear with Gorilla the wide black

Kevlar wrapping the front tires of my k8s actually worked really well while it lasted. I had 1 wrap come off after like 2 runs but the other 3 wraps survived. I ended up changing tires but the other day I actually just went back to my stock tires and rewrapped the kevlar that came off. Going to test it again soon, trying better glue this time too and I went over the old wraps with the new glue.

I gave up on taping. Like I said before. One tire goes bad, then you have 3 wrapped tires and well it goes south from there.
What do you do then?? Buy more tires to start the whole process over???:unsure: Drive with 3 wrapped tires and one that is not? You no longer have a full set of matched tires.(n) Now you are stuck wrapping a new tire. Then another one comes apart. A vicious cycle that repeats itself.:LOL: Been there.
I feel whatever material you use to wrap/Belt a tire, must be vulcanized to the tire. A hard feat. And turning the tire inside out to wrap it is where things fail. Tape gets bunched up. A failure point. No matter if you use a heat gun, sand the tire , clean it well, use CA, then Gor. Tape and let sit to supposedly Cure.
Many guys like to do this. What works for them.:giggle:
My time and $ is worth more. I Just buy new sets as needed. And make sure the beads are CA'ed well before every run. And buy belted premouts here and there. Not a fan of MT Off Road belted tires in general. They are heavier and handle crappy, not the best traction. IMHO.
Low profile tires are much lighter and balloon much less and therefore last longer. Less rotating mass and weight. Rarely blow out. Think 1/8 Truggy tires.
I like them. No they are not pretty like MT tires are.
But they work at the track so they are more durable and dependable for the most part.

Last edited:
I have never any problem tape come of.
And i drive almost all my 6s rigs with 8s like Maniac.

The only thing i don't like with taped wheels is that handling gets bad offroad.
Little balooning is best offroad.
The tyres also get hard. Not great when jumping. Landings are alot harder with taped tyres. And this makes the rigs bounce and loose controll .

How is the Duratrax/Louise MFT wheels wift Micro Fiber Technology ?
Only downside is the weight.
Anyways this is not a big problem when you run 8s.
The taped wheels also weight more.
I wonder if these MFT is ok, or are they stiff like the taped tyres ?

Stiff and hard (taped) tires sucks at bumby offroad situations. Handling is very bad :(

Interesting reading this. I'm going to be taping some hobby soul tires, they're so soft i believe they will balloon wildly. For better results should I sand and use lots of CA when applying gorilla tape. I understand this doesn't work for some but in my particular situation I think it is my best option

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back