Vorteks Different diff grease weights?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vortex 2wd

Reaction score
Just wondering something. I've tried. 10k. 30k. Ear plugs. 50 weight shock oil.

I notice very slight differences. Nothing major.

What's the main thing I should notice?

Or be looking for

Right now in one car I have 50 weight shock oil in the diff. And one with 30k diff grease

Both seem to handle the same.

I do extreme differences to see what it may be. But I really don't

So there is no front diff only the rear diff. I assume you are putting the diff fluid inside the diff not just on the gears. This would mean dissassembly of the diff, draining the fluid, and refilling with new fluid. Normally 2wd runs anyting from 2,000 - 10,000 weight fluid. As I understand it, lower side on dirt and higher side on high traction surfaces like clay or carpet. Maybe start around 5,000 as a happy medium. If you are running 4wd and 2 diffs I prefer lighter in the rear and a little heavier in the front. Something like 50k front and 30k rear.

In reality if you are running it 2wd you will probably not see much difference for every day bashing. The difference would be minor and noticable going in and out of the turns as the diff works to keep traction on the inside and outside wheels.

Diff-boost.JPG

Diff-boost.JPG

So there is no front diff only the rear diff. I assume you are putting the diff fluid inside the diff not just on the gears. This would mean dissassembly of the diff, draining the fluid, and refilling with new fluid. Normally 2wd runs anyting from 2,000 - 10,000 weight fluid. As I understand it, lower side on dirt and higher side on high traction surfaces like clay or carpet. Maybe start around 5,000 as a happy medium. If you are running 4wd and 2 diffs I prefer lighter in the rear and a little heavier in the front. Something like 50k front and 30k rear.

In reality if you are running it 2wd you will probably not see much difference for every day bashing. The difference would be minor and noticable going in and out of the turns as the diff works to keep traction on the inside and outside wheels.

View attachment 292416

View attachment 292413
Yes. 2wd. I really just don't notice a difference too much.

I run on low grass turning to dirt slowly. ;)

Yes. Taking diff apart. Had ro replace the gear on one and added 30k. Compares to the one with 50 weight shock oil. May change that soon.

They both seem to hook the turns no matter what I do. And if I let off they seem to both take the same track though the turn.

That's all. Maybe I'm not good enough to notice the difference yet.

Might wheelie more with heavy oil. Kinda like possitraction in a street car. I would not worry too much about it. If it drives ok just let it rip. 4wd makes a difference especially in the 6s line where you have a center diff. You would need to run it on a high traction surface to notice a real difference.

It sticks nice. Not too worried. Just wondering what it takes to notice. And guess it may not be.

Thanks.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back