First attempt at painting a body!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Granite
  3. Granite Mega
  4. Infraction
  5. Mojave EXB
  6. Nero
  7. Notorious
  8. Typhon 3s
So please be gentle. This was my first attempt at painting a body. An SR10 Monte Carlo
Just to make things more difficult I decided I wanted to have chrome trim around the window frames, wheel arches, and lower panels just like my old Monte.

After spending probably over an hour taping it up I immediately make a mistake. I started spraying and after a couple mistings I thought to myself, why don't I see any black paint coming out. Well it was because I was spraying the chrome paint. 🤦
Dam cans both had Black caps.
IMG_20220827_085515.jpg

IMG_20220827_085523.jpg

IMG_20220826_183011.jpg

So carried on. Even though it did bleed through the tape lines at places and you can see the chrome mist over the black I think it came out pretty good for my first attempt.
Maybe I should have just painted the trim with a fine brush instead of trying to tape a thin line. Still have to add the decals.
IMG_20220829_093855.jpg

IMG_20220829_093904_1.jpg

IMG_20220829_093923.jpg

IMG_20220829_093957.jpg

IMG_20220829_094028.jpg

Here's my old Monte Carlo that I was trying to reproduce.
IMG_20220304_141647~3.jpg

Last edited:
So please be gentle. This was my first attempt at painting a body. An SR10 Monte Carlo
Just to make things more difficult I decided I wanted to have chrome trim around the window frames, wheel arches, and lower panels just like my old Monte.

After spending probably over an hour taping it up I immediately make a mistake. I started spraying and after a couple mistings I thought to myself, why don't I see any black paint coming out. Well it's because I was spraying the chrome paint. 🤦
View attachment 239833

So carried on. Even though it did bleed through the tape lines at places and you can see the chrome mist over the black I think it came out pretty good for my first attempt.
Maybe I should have just painted the trim with a fine brush instead of trying to tape a thin line. Still have to add the decals.
View attachment 239836
View attachment 239837
View attachment 239838
View attachment 239839
View attachment 239840
Here's my old Monte Carlo that I was trying to reproduce.View attachment 239841

View attachment 239834
Looks great 👍 !

Never heard of on point paint, got a link?

After spending probably over an hour taping it up I immediately make a mistake. I started spraying and after a couple mistings I thought to myself, why don't I see any black paint coming out. Well it's because I was spraying the chrome paint. 🤦
View attachment 239833

View attachment 239836
View attachment 239837
View attachment 239838
View attachment 239839
View attachment 239840
Here's my old Monte Carlo that I was trying to reproduce.View attachment 239841

View attachment 239834
It looks great man! Congrats on your first paint job. Fun isn’t it?

Looks great 👍 !

Never heard of on point paint, got a link?

Thanks
It was the only chrome spray paint that my Local hobby shop had.
Challenging but fun. Think I still prefer wrenching over painting but I think I would do it again instead of getting a stock body.

Last edited:
And the rabbit hole gets deeper....
hole-falling.gif

Taping the chrome lines, you’ve got far more patience than I haha. Looks good.
Yeah I thought using a thin pinstripe tape would be easiest way. It was not. Ended up trying a few different ways on each window.
Looks great 👍🏻
Thanks
You could also go over the Crome on the outside of the body with a fine lining brush if you th it would be better, but it’s up to you.
Really good idea. Might do that to hide the parts where the tape lifted.
Also going to Dremel the fender chrome a bit thinner. Will post finished pictures once it's all done with decals

Last edited:
I thinned out the chrome wheel arches a bit and tried to clean most of the burrs off. Put just the bare minimum of the decals on. I want to keep it as clean looking as possible.
Not sure if I want something on the licence plate areas or not. What's everyone's thought? I Still have to add the holes for the body posts.
IMG_20220902_205609.jpg

IMG_20220902_205530.jpg

IMG_20220902_203819.jpg

Dam , just noticed how dusty the car looks. It's just as bad as a real 1:1 black car. Its only clean for about 10 min after a wash and wax.

Last edited:
Looks good
Thanks just finished running it. Gotta edit the video still but here's a shot of it on the chassis. For a first attempt I'm pretty happy with it.
IMG_20220903_092812~2.jpg

A couple more

IMG_20220903_112755.jpg

IMG_20220903_112810.jpg

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back