Outcast Gear destruction

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PittsburghJason

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I guess I should have checked the gear mesh out of the box?

I think a seized bearing caused this because both were bad for the center diff and one was really stuck.

$55 in parts to fix it - 57t gear, 13t spur gear and bearings. I am going to get a metal gearbox for motor stability and because the pull tab is broken on the stock plastic one so add another $30.

Any other recommended parts?

stipped gears.jpg

You sure it was gear mesh? I've had pinion teeth break off before (for whatever reason) or a pinion grub screw come loose and then bounce around inside the power module until they ended up destroying more pinion/spur teeth (and repeat). Poor mesh is usually visible from wear on leading edge of the teeth, not total tooth destruction. This doesn't look like a bad bearing either.

Tooth chunks IME are either caused by poor materials or poor gear design, or caused by debris/foreign object getting lodged in there. Generally a seized bearing has only caused my motor to overheat.

Hopefully you can get that sorted out and prevent from happening again!

Skate park crash must have caused the center diff to bind up and chip a motor tooth on impact. Then the wheels moved which turned the center diff which cause the motor to eat more and more teeth.

Back