Kraton Gearing changes from changing tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 6s
Hey all, I'm planning to switch from stock Copperhead 2's on my V5 K6S to Backflip LP's (the smaller ones). How much of a difference does that tire weight and diameter make on the drive train, especially in regards to motor temps. On stock Copperheads my motor nears 200F (granted that was on a bash session were 1 tire had no foam and blown apart). That's on a 15T pinion. Do you think the smaller tires would improve temps enough to stay on 15T?

On that note, around what difference do we see on pinion size in relation to temps? 1T = about 5F temp reduction or increase etc? Just trying to get a feel for what I can run. I know temp gun is the answer, but just trying to see what I need to buy without buying stuff I don't need.

Dropping down to lp's should keep you at least 10-15° cooler, but as you already noted, a temp gun is kinda important for gearing your pinion right. I also highly recommend running fans as insurance.
Someone smarter than me will be along shortly to give specific numbers 😉

Dropping down to lp's should keep you at least 10-15° cooler, but as you already noted, a temp gun is kinda important for gearing your pinion right. I also highly recommend running fans as insurance.
Someone smarter than me will be along shortly to give specific numbers 😉

10-15 would still be mighty toasty... but I do have an extra motor lying around...

I wonder if there's a rough approximation of how much a pinion changes temps. My only experience with pinions has been the 12T and 15T because I've yet to throw 12 bucks at a new pinion. Maybe 14 or 13 and LP's?

I run 15t with the 6s LPs on my Noto and it gets warm for sure even with dual 30mm fans. But it does exactly what I want it to in the air and on the ground so if I have to take a break for a few to cool down I don't mind.

I run 15t with the 6s LPs on my Noto and it gets warm for sure even with dual 30mm fans. But it does exactly what I want it to in the air and on the ground so if I have to take a break for a few to cool down I don't mind.
I typically get paranoid about my notorious after a few big jumps/thumps and check for broken stuff. It let's the motor and esc cool. I still don't think it's ever gotten over 150.
My exb just got a 17t pinion because the motor never gets over 140 on copperheads. I'll put a bigger one on if I switch to lp's. But it's literally snowing here. Heat's not an issue in the 406...

I wish my rigs stayed cool but I have lots of area to play on my property so I'm yanking throttle a lot. Have to find a good big can that will stay cool but give me the air control I like and speed. My K6s I run the same 15t with the copper heads both 2050 motors and they just get too hot with my driving style.

Yeah, I tend to be on the throttle most of the time and go from on to LVC before I stop. It's harder on the truck, but all my land out here it flat other than huge 100% send style ramps.

I'll probably have to go back down to 12T regardless once we start talking 100+ ambient, assuming I even decide to go outside.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back