Kraton Max 6/1650 Kraton gearing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimGoheen

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I just installed a max 6/1650 combo into my kraton 6s. First run was ok, it didn't seem any more impressive than stock. I have the stock pinion and spur in there now. Any recommendations for a gear upgrade ?

Yeah stock pinion is going to be slow with the 1650kv. I run 1 20t in my Kraton and a 18T in my Outcast with that combo, I want to put a 20t in my Outcast too.

After my first two runs with that same set up, I might drop a tooth I'm running an 18t now. I was about 185f on my first run driving like I normally would. Do most people run fans on their 4990? I didn't want to add more weight than I already have with the new combo.

After my first two runs with that same set up, I might drop a tooth I'm running an 18t now. I was about 185f on my first run driving like I normally would. Do most people run fans on their 4990? I didn't want to add more weight than I already have with the new combo.
185? That's awfully hot for a 18t pinion. Even on a hot summer day I would barely hit 160* with the 20t.

Also depends on where you run at.... grass? 17/18/19 depending on driving style.... Dirt/pavement? You can run 20/21, again, depending on your driving style

When you have a 4990 can in your 12lb rig, 2oz for dual fans is immaterial.

I have a similar setup in two cars. The car with 18T pinion stays cool without a fan. Under 130 degrees. The car with 20T pinion needs a fan.

I have a similar setup in two cars. The car with 18T pinion stays cool without a fan. Under 130 degrees. The car with 20T pinion needs a fan.
I agree: for my Castle 1717 1650 with an 18T pinion, I don't need a fan, and with a 20T pinion, it stayed at around 130 when the outside temps were under 85F. It's when the outside temps get over 85F that I need a fan, so I have a single 40mm high speed (16,000 RPM) fan with a clamp-on mount on my Kraton 6s and on my Corally Radix6 and Muraco 6s vehicles.

Back