Gorgon Gorgon troubles please help.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee.Taylor

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Bought 2 x unit brand new for kids xmas pressies. Out of the box as new to RC kids we were very impressed with how tough these things are and how much fun they can be.
First issue however is after a 3 hour battery charge we are only getting 10 mins run time before they won't turn properly assuming due to battery almost flat. I see going to a 2s battery will give us longer run time and a little more speed but really, only 10 mins run time from standard battery. Is this correct or am I missing something.

Next issue, one wouldn't turn properly on a fully charged battery and found a small stone lodged between the servo and frame. Removed the stone and the steering was fine for all of 2 mins and will not steering what so ever now. I tried re-binding the controller but still nothing. New batteries in the controller, fully charged car battery and still nothing. Wiring to the servo looks fine and all plugs are connected.

Any ideas? Please help.

What are the specs of the batteries in question? Are you using the stock NIMH batteries?

That sounds about right. Those old NIMH's are terrible.
Upgrade to LIPO's.

Sounds like the steering servo might be damaged with the stone wedged in it. If you replace it with another you will know for sure.

Sounds like the steering servo might be damaged with the stone wedged in it. If you replace it with another you will know for sure.
It was steering fine for a few minutes without any weird noises after taking the stone out. Are they say enough to change out cos I could swap it with his brothers to test

Try plugging the servo that works into the bad receiver. That will tell you what is not working.

Try plugging the servo that works into the bad receiver. That will tell you what is not working.
So line the two up side by side and plug bad one into the good one and vice versa. Guess that will isolate the issue. Thanks

Yeah stock battery capacity is really small only 3300mah 5-10 minutes sounds about right.

And I agree with everyone else the servo is likely dead. Stock servos on most every ready to run rc car are usually not the best and tend to die an early death, the rock jamming up the servo probably did it in.

If it is the servo and you get a new one make sure you set the steering end points. I am not sure how that is done on the Gorgon remote so I am hoping that someone else here knows.

Yeah stock battery capacity is really small only 3300mah 5-10 minutes sounds about right.

And I agree with everyone else the servo is likely dead. Stock servos on most every ready to run rc car are usually not the best and tend to die an early death, the rock jamming up the servo probably did it in.

If it is the servo and you get a new one make sure you set the steering end points. I am not sure how that is done on the Gorgon remote so I am hoping that someone else here knows.
What would a better servo to replace with be?

What would a better servo to replace with be?

I am not sure to be honest. Iirc the Gorgon has a 23t servo mounted servo saver, I am not sure of a 25t servo saver that fits, but this limits you to Spektrum servos which are rather expensive if you want a good one. Hopefully someone who has upgraded their servo can chime in with an answer.

I am not sure to be honest. Iirc the Gorgon has a 23t servo mounted servo saver, I am not sure of a 25t servo saver that fits, but this limits you to Spektrum servos which are rather expensive if you want a good one. Hopefully someone who has upgraded their servo can chime in with an answer.
Hot racing makes a servo saver with 25t for it

I got this one.

Screenshot_20231227_075301_eBay.jpg

That sounds about right. Those old NIMH's are terrible.
Upgrade to LIPO's.
I'm in the same situation as @Lee.Taylor Fairly new to the hobby. But had the same questions. Got a Granite instead but the same NIMH batteries. Kid bashes for a 5-10min and then charges for 6hrs. S-L-O-W. I don't suppose it's possible to speed up the charge process? Not sure on the Gorgon but the Granite charger is like sipping through one of those small coffee straws. I imagine I'm headed for lipos :p I ordered a multi-charger hoping to speed up the charging process and prepare for LIPOs. Thinking to keep the kids bashing in check with slow batteries😂 (he'll figure out any other throttle limiter I could install) but the charging and run time is killing my hopes. Sounds like LIPOs it is...

I'm in the same situation as @Lee.Taylor Fairly new to the hobby. But had the same questions. Got a Granite instead but the same NIMH batteries. Kid bashes for a 5-10min and then charges for 6hrs. S-L-O-W. I don't suppose it's possible to speed up the charge process?
You just need a good charger to reduce charging times to something manageable.

I'm in the same situation as @Lee.Taylor Fairly new to the hobby. But had the same questions. Got a Granite instead but the same NIMH batteries. Kid bashes for a 5-10min and then charges for 6hrs. S-L-O-W. I don't suppose it's possible to speed up the charge process? Not sure on the Gorgon but the Granite charger is like sipping through one of those small coffee straws. I imagine I'm headed for lipos :p I ordered a multi-charger hoping to speed up the charging process and prepare for LIPOs. Thinking to keep the kids bashing in check with slow batteries😂 (he'll figure out any other throttle limiter I could install) but the charging and run time is killing my hopes. Sounds like LIPOs it is...

6 hours lucky, my first hobby grade RC car had a 900mah battery it took 12 hours to charge with the included charger
🤣
I ended up buying one of these it cut the charge time to about an hour but with the Granite battery it might be closer to 1.5-2 hours. Tenergy Universal RC Battery Charger for NiMH/NiCd 6V-12V Battery Packs, 2A Charger for RC Car, Airsoft Batteries, Compatible with Standard Size Tamiya/Mini Tamiya/Alligator Clips Connectors 01025 https://a.co/d/0506Mlv I still have that laying around somewhere.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back