Got a damaged Supervee 27 Brushless boat. Any recommended solutions for the issues?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OSE - highly recommended for anything boat and other general stuff.

Can you post a picture of the cracks?
In general, cracks can't just be covered, it won't hold. You have to grind it out and fill with epoxy and fiber particles. Ideally, place new fiber over top. Gel coat is just a final finish but has no structural support.
You have to prep the exposed work area with acetone, needs a good wipe down to soften up the original epoxy and prepare for a bond with the new.

Batteries, I'd just wedge 'em down with foam pieces propped under the hull. Velcro works until it gets wet, and then it will deteriorate. In case of a hard flip they will come loose though. You can try battery trays with straps. Might have to custom make some out of ply-wood and epoxy them in. Make sure you seal wood with epoxy.
Are all of these actuals cracks?
Untitled.jpg

Ok. The hole is wide enough for the hull to start filling up pretty quick and light goes through it pretty well. I think ill just get some basic epoxy tomorrow and try that out. Is gel coat for finalizing the fix? Plus, what do you recommend for holding the batteries in? Here is a pic of my dilemma with the batteries. I will run dual 7 cell nickel batteries in it so it will need something good.View attachment 310496View attachment 310495
The gel coat gives the fiberglass its color & smooth finish. I got lucky when my boat ran aground only small chips & some long but not deep scratches.

In general, cracks can't just be covered, it won't hold. You have to grind it out and fill with epoxy and fiber particles. Ideally, place new fiber over top. Gel coat is just a final finish but has no structural support.
You have to prep the exposed work area with acetone, needs a good wipe down to soften up the original epoxy and prepare for a bond with the new.

Batteries, I'd just wedge 'em down with foam pieces propped under the hull. Velcro works until it gets wet, and then it will deteriorate. In case of a hard flip they will come loose though. You can try battery trays with straps. Might have to custom make some out of ply-wood and epoxy them in. Make sure you seal wood with epoxy.
View attachment 310529
Only the under the rudder is the problem. The white is glare from light

View attachment 310529
So i should take some epoxy and seal it up with that? Then use gel coat on it afterward?

Last edited:
What ESC is it? It says Aquacraft, but, model number, or, at the very least, how many amps it is, would be helpful. Where is the damage under the rudder?
Yeah I don't see the damaged rudder?:unsure:
Nice project there.
All Fiberglas hull.(y)

Yeah I don't see the damaged rudder?:unsure:
Nice project there.
All Fiberglas hull.(y)
The damage is under the rudder. A gash that fills up with water. That has been my problem.
Also, how long does epoxy take to dry before I do anything else with gelcoat and stuff?

^^^
That varies. Could take 24 hours minimum to several days to cure, depending on the Humidity.
I noticed sometimes takes a week and more from past experience. Depending on the product ( 2 part Expoxies, etc.), and again, high humidity takes longer. Allow it to dry and cure inside where it is air conditioned, in Dry Air. What I do.
What does the label say ?

^^^
That varies. Could take 24 hours minimum to several days to cure, depending on the Humidity.
I noticed sometimes takes a week and more from past experience. Depending on the product, and again, high humidity takes longer. Allow it to dry and cure inside where it is air conditioned, in Dry Air. What I do.
What does the label say ?
I don’t have any yet. Gonna go get some soon.

2 part mixed Epoxies are best. I usually go with JB Weld. (2 part mixed)
They have many different types for different uses.
Once mixed well, you have only a limited time to apply it. It actually gets warm once the 2 parts are mixed together. For best results, plan the application and where you want it well ahead of time.

So i should take some epoxy and seal it up with that? Then use gel coat on it afterward?

If you want it pretty then yes add gelcoat after.
On my old 87' deep vee boat I patched things up with JB Weld epoxy and sanded it all flat with a sanding block and called it good. It runs 60+ mph and always turns some heads (y) (used to be a 42" gas/nitro boat converted to run on a 6s electric setup)

You want the edge between the bottom of the boat and the transom to be a sharp corner. (not rounded)

Roost.JPG

Removed the hole out of the bottom for the tube.
Rear Capture.JPG

hole 1 Capture.JPG

This one was a combination of fiberglass and JB weld to repair since it was such a large hole....
IMG20230710145216.jpg

Last edited:
Oops forgot to show that. It is a 45a aquacraft esc. View attachment 310264
You can use a two part epoxy and that will take care of that damage.
2 part mixed Epoxies are best. I usually go with JB Weld. (2 part mixed)
They have many different types for different uses.
Once mixed well, you have only a limited time to apply it. It actually gets warm once the 2 parts are mixed together. For best results, plan the application and where you want it well ahead of time.
Exactly what I was thinking.👍

Simple fix, just put some epoxy over it after cleaning with acetone. I wouldn't deal with gel coat in that small area, [personally would be a don't care and not worth the effort. Something caused this damage though, make sure it's all glued on the inside.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back