Granite Granite 3s shock oil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is a good weight shock oil for the Granite 4x4 3s for jumping ? Mine seems to bottom out way too easily when landing off of jumps.

How high are your jumps?
15-20ft?

What is a good weight shock oil for the Granite 4x4 3s for jumping ? Mine seems to bottom out way too easily when landing off of jumps.
As Tex said how high.

With that rig, most, not all, who like to jump it go to the 6S Typhon shocks. They're not needed, but they're a common upgrade on that 3S model.

When I had stock, as well as with the Typhon shocks, I ran 42.5wt shock oil then found 60wt worked better for me all yr long. I live in SE part of the USA, so it works well for our climate.

In my experience stiffer springs are much more important in reducing chassis slap. It’s the springs that resist compression. Depending on how much you stiffen springs, you may want to increase oil weight to match. The oil resists the rebound, which will be faster with stiffer springs. But the oil is for driving performance on the ground. Springs land jumps.

I know many upgrade to Typhon shocks, and they are the right length for the 3s line. But IMO 6s Typhon springs are WAY too light for jumping. Stock 3s plastic shock springs are WAY stiffer and will land jumps BETTER.

Stock shocks using all the spacers are stiff enough. The only reason to upgrade is durability. If you’re not breaking shocks, no need to upgrade. If you do upgrade, get the right length, right spring strength, with durable 4mm shock shafts.

RCDude81 running on stock shocks. If they don’t break, they perform great.

Me jumping with stock shocks, I did eventually break them.

Last edited:
Check out my built thread for the conversion to 6s shocks and choosing stiffer springs. Typhon 6s springs are very soft indeed.

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/typhon-3s-spare-diff.61287/post-1008594
That’s an excellent shock setup. I used to have the same Mojave springs on front and used the Kraton 6s front spring for the rear. That was my jumping setup, nice stiff springs.

But during the cold weather, I don’t jump because even well landed jumps can result in breaks. So I switched to a ground performance setup to have fun driving around. As you should expect from a stiff setup, the jumping setup was quite bouncy going fast over rough terrain.

Right now I’m using Team Associated RC8 yellow springs. They are the closest match to stock 3s spring strength I’ve found. 5.7 lb/in front, 4.4 lb/in rear. Stock is 5.7, 4.8. These are the best springs I’ve found for on the ground performance. Now that’s it’s getting warmer, I’ll see if they can also handle big jumps if I tighten the springs, or if I need to have a separate big jump setup. If I do, I’m going to try those Talion springs in the rear. Spring strength should be just about right.

Back