Granite Granite 4x4 Mega finally went brushless

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zacparry

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Granite Mega
I got a used Granite mega for my 10-year-old son's birthday and decided that dad needed one too;) So, I waited until another came up and got a deal on eBay and snatched up a mega for me. Then we started breaking stuff!

First to go was the servo, my son smoked a curb and that was the end of it. Replaced the servo in both machines with the Arrma S652 (from Jennys RC) and it has been perfect in both machines.

We got wings to protect the rear of the body and I got 2S Lipos (Hoovo). We both burned up motors the same day and picked up a couple of Traxxas Tinan 12T motors from the local hobby shop adding fans and heatsink to both ESC and motor. I also upgraded to the 32p pinion (9 tooth) and spur (57 tooth) that is used in the BLX in both machines in anticipation of an eventual brushless conversion.

With a little maintenance, this is how we have run with no trouble at all for nearly a year. The motors don't get too warm and the ESCs stay very cool even running back-to-back 5000mah 2S packs.

After tons of reading here and youtube research, I decided to pull the trigger on a brushless conversion for my truck (had a $10 off coupon for amain) and I went with the new Hobbywing Max10 G2 combo. It's a 140A ESC and a 3665 3100kV motor and with a little bit of practice, I was able to solder decent enough that I switched all of my connectors to XT90s and get it running.

And, boy does it run! I could not believe the difference. On 2S, it acted more like the 3S Granites I was seeing on Youtube - wheelies, backflips, what seemed like double the speed, flipping when cornering, etc. I was just laughing at how much crazier my granite had gotten. I went back and programmed the ESC to reduce the punch a bit and that made it more drivable. I had to cannibalize my son's broken sled to make some protection for the top of the truck. It's not pretty but it sure is a fun machine.

IMG_20230227_054331738_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230227_054337736_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230227_054417999.jpg

IMG_20230227_054428307_HDR.jpg

UPDATE

Just wanted to share a bit of info for anyone looking at the Hobbywing 140A 3665 3100kv setup.

I taped my phone to the body and tracked the speed on my bicycling app. On a full HOOVO 2S 6200mAh 70C battery, I was able to get 32.2 mph running up and down my driveway.

It will do a single backflip on my homemade ramp.

I haven't timed the run time but it feels like a solid 20 minutes on the battery mentioned. Also, a wheelie bar is a must, even on a punch setting of 3.

I haven't broken anything yet but still having a blast driving it! I'm amazed at how much abuse these can take. I hope this helps anyone contemplating this combo.

Screenshot_20230305-162014.png

IMG_20230305_165838243.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back