Granite Granite 4X4 MEGA outdrive stuck in diff.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggman100

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fury
  2. 4x4-Mega
I have a V1 Granite 4X4 MEGA, and one of the outdrives is stuck in the diff housing. Anyone ever have that issue? Any cure, other than new parts? Not that i am against new parts, but, im trying to have it useable Saturday for a 9 year old, and, with nothing local, i couldn't get parts before then. Would sanding the outdrive or the diff housing a little hurt it? It is used so little, i don't see how it could have happened at all. It still even has the original grease in it.

Seized bearing?
Thats the weirdest part. The middle of August i replaced all the bearings with rubber shielded bearings, because my original plan was to make a winter basher out of it. I think i have ran it maybe 3 times since then (i am more into SCT's, so my 2 MT's see very, very sporadic use). When i took it apart the other day, the diff came apart easy, and, after i tapped the outdrive out of the diff case, the bearing came off easy, and still looks new. When i put the outdrive in the diff case though, and make sure its seated, it will not turn unless i force it a bit. This all started because i broke a rear driveshaft, and was replacing it and noticed the diff was locked, but, after taking it apart, its only locked on the one side. The best way i can explain it, it isnt the housing side of the diff (where the spider gears go), but the plate that screws on the diff housing is the side that the outdrive wont spin in. If the diff is apart, the outdrive on the housing and the spider gears spin with no issue.

Thats the weirdest part. The middle of August i replaced all the bearings with rubber shielded bearings, because my original plan was to make a winter basher out of it. I think i have ran it maybe 3 times since then (i am more into SCT's, so my 2 MT's see very, very sporadic use). When i took it apart the other day, the diff came apart easy, and, after i tapped the outdrive out of the diff case, the bearing came off easy, and still looks new. When i put the outdrive in the diff case though, and make sure its seated, it will not turn unless i force it a bit. This all started because i broke a rear driveshaft, and was replacing it and noticed the diff was locked, but, after taking it apart, its only locked on the one side. The best way i can explain it, it isnt the housing side of the diff (where the spider gears go), but the plate that screws on the diff housing is the side that the outdrive wont spin in. If the diff is apart, the outdrive on the housing and the spider gears spin with no issue.
I managed to make one of my 3s diffs seize up by getting oil and an air bubble in between the bearing and 2 outdrives inside the diff case. The airlock meant the outdrives werent connecting together properly. Maybe try using break cleaner on the cavities on the side of the outdrives that go inside the diff to dribve out residual fluid. Also, check you arent overtightening screws on the diff housing.

I managed to make one of my 3s diffs seize up by getting oil and an air bubble in between the bearing and 2 outdrives inside the diff case. The airlock meant the outdrives werent connecting together properly. Maybe try using break cleaner on the cavities on the side of the outdrives that go inside the diff to dribve out residual fluid. Also, check you arent overtightening screws on the diff housing.
I put a little bit of silicone sewing machine oil on the outdrive, and it still wouldnt turn easy, so, i cleaned it all completely, and then sanded the outdrive and the diff cover just a touch, and its better, but still kind of tight. I am just going to let him bash it the way it is Saturday, and wait on the new parts to get here. I ordered them earlier today.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back