How to choose a motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent, thank you!

I saw that awhile back. Wasn’t it primarily for D wound motors? I think they were looking for a firmware fix to that.
If I'm not mistaken, this was a case of a misidentified fault. It was rumored that D-wind motors caused XLX2s of the first production batch to burst into flames while it was actually that one of the contacts of the circuit board was too close to the case and in some ESCs made contact with the case causing a dead short. This was rectified in subsequent batches. That's my understanding of what happened anyways and that it had nothing to do with the firmware in the end. If I got this wrong, please correct me.

If I'm not mistaken, this was a case of a misidentified fault. It was rumored that D-wind motors caused XLX2s of the first production batch to burst into flames while it was actually that one of the contacts of the circuit board was too close to the case and in some ESCs made contact with the case causing a dead short. That's my understanding of what happened anyways and that it had nothing to do with the firmware in the end. If I got this wrong, please correct me.
100% right and potentially might have been partially a cover-up of sorts. It was the epoxy layer that was too thin allowing the main board to contact the exterior metal shell.

Also worth noting is that some guys prefer the original firmware over the revised "D-wind" fix firmware.
I still have the original firmware on mine and every motor I have ever run is a D-wind.

100% right and potentially might have been partially a cover-up of sorts. It was the epoxy layer that was too thin allowing the main board to contact the exterior metal shell.

Also worth noting is that some guys prefer the original firmware over the revised "D-wind" fix firmware.
I still have the original firmware on mine and every motor I have ever run is a D-wind.
Why do you exclusively run D wind motors?

Why do you exclusively run D wind motors?
I'm going to take a wild guess and say he probably didn't set out to do that on purpose and since he also loves TP motors so much like me he probably just went based off KV and the KV's he likes just happen to be D wind.

Maybe I'm wrong but I'm willing to bet money this is what it is!! tell me I'm right @LibertyMKiii :ROFLMAO:

Edit: ROFL he beat my post by seconds omg

I'm going to take a wild guess and say he probably didn't set out to do that on purpose and since he also loves TP motors so much like me he probably just went based off KV and the KV's he likes just happen to be D wind.

Maybe I'm wrong but I'm willing to bet money this is what it is!! tell me I'm right @LibertyMKiii :ROFLMAO:

Looks like you were spot on!

Nailed it

So just to be clear, nobody pays any mind to what wind the motor is as long as the other specs meet your needs? Are there any limitations to certain winds?

So just to be clear, nobody pays any mind to what wind the motor is as long as the other specs meet your needs? Are there any limitations to certain winds?
People speculate the following:
Y winds start smoother on low rpms.
Y winds are more efficient
Y winds might pull less amps
Y winds might not have as strong of torque at peak rpms
D winds might pull more amps

Only truth I can Confirm:
Y winds can handle higher timing
D winds like 0 or (just leave the castle ESC on default 10 degrees and it adjust the timing dynamically and works just fine)

People speculate the following:
Y winds start smoother on low rpms.
Y winds are more efficient
Y winds might pull less amps
Y winds might not have as strong of torque at peak rpms
D winds might pull more amps

Only truth I can Confirm:
Y winds can handle higher timing
D winds like 0 or (just leave the castle ESC on default 10 degrees and it adjust the timing dynamically and works just fine)
Fantastic info, thank you. I’m smartier than yesterday for sure. I’m learning just enough to be dangerous now…

Fantastic info, thank you. I’m smartier than yesterday for sure. I’m learning just enough to be dangerous now…

I got obsessed with the idea of running a Wye wind and one point and then talked to some people that know a lot more than me. They confirmed I should get over the wind type and just pick the right motor based on KV and power ratings.

One of them was skilled enough that he re-winds motors for people to achieve different KV values out of a specific motor. He will only do D-winds because the Wye winds are significantly more difficult to do, but confirmed they will perform the same.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back