How do I totally drain a battery if I don’t know how to solder?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavefromCA

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Typhon 3s
  3. Vendetta
One of my batteries got banged up to the point where it needs to go. My venom pro will only drain to 9 volts. I’ve read the best way is to solder connectors onto a 12 volt automotive light, but what are my options if I don’t solder?

One of my batteries got banged up to the point where it needs to go. My venom pro will only drain to 9 volts. I’ve read the best way is to solder connectors onto a 12 volt automotive light, but what are my options if I don’t solder?
Do you happen to be running anything off a lipo ,like fans or lights? I'd just let it discharge off of one them if your able to.

Easiest way is to drop the LiPo into a bucket with salted water. I use about 3-4 table spoons of salt. I give it 24hrs and then the battery is safe to dispose.
This does not work do not do this. I've had lipos in a bucket of salt water for over 3 weeks and the cells still had voltage in them. I do not understand why people still think this even does anything.

12v automotive light bulb is the best way without a discharge. You don't have to solder it on just use some tape and twist the wires together.

I wouldn't recommend it for safety reasons buuut .... an area with no flammables, a large nail and hammer and run.

Fine print👇
Disclaimer: I am not a professional and don't recommend doing this. Do it at your own risk. Even if it did work for me and I still have both my eyebrows. I also had water ready.

Easiest way is to drop the LiPo into a bucket with salted water. I use about 3-4 table spoons of salt. I give it 24hrs and then the battery is safe to dispose.
This works, but I would leave it for at least a week, then check it. I've had the leads corrode and fall off to, which makes it interesting.

You can also buy a Alligator Clip Leads and use lights or resistors. I put a bunch of XT60s on the resistors below and run them in parallel
https://a.co/d/dmoKKjK
https://a.co/d/4lKy0vX

More details on my over built discharger.
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/which-discharger-do-you-like-guys.60892/page-2#post-917171

Everything I've read on salt water says not to do it.
The tabs come off before the battery is discharged and then your up a creek.

Puncture and run or use a light bulb.
its not that crazy on a mostly discharged battery.

20230508_194004.jpg

View attachment 331791

I prefer the resistors. Living where I do puncturing a battery and releasing smoke will entail a visit from the local FD.

With salt water, the wires can/do come off the battery, but the salt water permeates everywhere and it doesn't matter.The problem is you can't solder the ends together to prevent it from building voltage, but even with 0.5V on the cell it's can't provide any current.

View attachment 331791
Yes, one time I punctured a puffed battery as I needed to dispose of it but also wanted to teach my son how dangerous lipo batteries can be. It had minimal to no reaction 🤷‍♂️. But I've also had others smoke then ignite. I've never had one explode into big flames. It could happen though.

I tried the salt water method and it doesn't work. Maybe to drain the last 0.5 volt, but not from 3v/cell. Then I have read some more about it and it is recommended to not do it.

I would recommend that you teach yourself how to solder, it is pretty essential to the hobby and it is not that difficult.
60 watt solder iron, some flux and solder, that's all you need. And then just practice, practice, practice.

If you don't want to make that investment into your skillset, bring the battery as it is to your local garbage disposal place as it is.

That didn't work.
20230808_091719.jpg

This works for me, 4s and less can be discharged. My charger has the dame XT60 connector.
20230811_194001.jpg

I tried the salt water method and it doesn't work. Maybe to drain the last 0.5 volt, but not from 3v/cell.

The light bulbs are a great way to go but require soldering, which the name of the thread he was looking for a solderless method.

The .5V you are seeing after the saltwater has 0A of current behind it. If you measure it with your Volt meter it shows some residual voltage, because the Volt meter has a very high impedance (near 0A). Once there is any load on it, the voltage goes to 0V immediately with no drama.

It's similar to holding the probes in your hand. You may see some voltage from your skin, but it has no current to drive anything.

But is it safe to discharge a puffed beat up lipo? What about a lipo with a dead cell?

But is it safe to discharge a puffed beat up lipo? What about a lipo with a dead cell?

I can't guarantee anything is safe there is always risk. With that in mind I always discharge them on the glass (non-flammable) table in the back yard just in case something goes sideways. Take the standard precautions and use common sense.

When you drain them the the load doesn't care about what cells are at what voltage, It's just a single voltage source. So if you have one that is 1.0V and 2 cells at 3.0V it looks like a 7V battery. The 1.0V will go mostly likely get to 0V before the others, which is fine.

I can't guarantee anything is safe there is always risk. With that in mind I always discharge them on the glass (non-flammable) table in the back yard just in case something goes sideways. Take the standard precautions and use common sense.

When you drain them the the load doesn't care about what cells are at what voltage, It's just a single voltage source. So if you have one that is 1.0V and 2 cells at 3.0V it looks like a 7V battery. The 1.0V will go mostly likely get to 0V before the others, which is fine.
haha living in an apartment is ebola!!!

I tried the salt water method and it doesn't work. Maybe to drain the last 0.5 volt, but not from 3v/cell. Then I have read some more about it and it is recommended to not do it.

I would recommend that you teach yourself how to solder, it is pretty essential to the hobby and it is not that difficult.
60 watt solder iron, some flux and solder, that's all you need. And then just practice, practice, practice.

If you don't want to make that investment into your skillset, bring the battery as it is to your local garbage disposal place as it is.

That didn't work.
View attachment 333615

This works for me, 4s and less can be discharged. My charger has the dame XT60 connector.
View attachment 333617
Crap, I was relying on the saltwater method when the time comes. Thanks for the advice!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back