Limitless How to make your own spool using Saga Custom pinion gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joelk

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Talion
I just put the 30 tooth spool on the left together and thought I would post a quick how to.
20200514_113105.jpg

You need:
Spool Shaft
Input Shaft Cup (2)
8x16x5 bearings of your choice (2)
Saga Custom 8mm pinion gear in your choice of tooth count to be used as the spur gear.
8mm id tubing of your choice. I used 8mm id 10mm od carbon fiber, but you could use aluminum or something else instead.

Cut the tubing to 8mm for the rear of the spool, and 5mm for the front. I cut it oversized with a hacksaw, chucked it up in my drill, and spun it against my belt sander to get a nice smooth final size. Wear a respirator as carbon fiber dust is bad stuff.
I use Kyosho 8x10mm shims behind the bearing for a snug fit in the diff housing if needed. Diff pictured above needed one 0.1mm shim.

If you are wondering about the blue stuff in the cups, it is small cuts of a foam earplug to keep the dogbones snug.

Edited to add:
The Arrma spur and Saga 8mm pinion (used as spur here) are somewhat different length where they fit the shaft, thus making your own spacers, as the red Arrma spacers will not work with the Saga gear.
The reason you would want to use the Saga gears is that they are higher quality, and come in many sizes so you can easily tailor your gearing to your motor.

I tagged this Limitless but this spool will work in all of the 6s cars/trucks.

Last edited:
I just put the 30 tooth spool on the left together and thought I would post a quick how to.
View attachment 80167

You need:
Spool Shaft
Input Shaft Cup (2)
Saga Custom 8mm pinion gear in your choice of tooth count to be used as the spur gear.
8mm id tubing of your choice. I used 8mm id 10mm od carbon fiber, but you could use aluminum or something else instead.

Cut the tubing to 8mm for the rear of the spool, and 5mm for the front. I cut it oversized with a hacksaw, chucked it up in my drill, and spun it against my belt sander to get a nice smooth final size. Wear a respirator as carbon fiber dust is bad stuff.
I use Kyosho 8x10mm shims behind the bearing for a snug fit in the diff housing if needed. Diff pictured above needed one 0.1mm shim.

If you are wondering about the blue stuff in the cups, it is small cuts of a foam earplug to keep the dogbones snug.

Edited to add:
The Arrma spur and Saga 8mm pinion (used as spur here) are somewhat different length where they fit the shaft, thus making your own spacers, as the red Arrma spacers will not work with the Saga gear.
The reason you would want to use the Saga gears is that they are higher quality, and come in many sizes so you can easily tailor your gearing to your motor.

Thanks

View attachment 80167

You need:
Spool Shaft
Input Shaft Cup (2)

Edited to add:

What was the cost? Just curious

View attachment 80167

You need:
Spool Shaft
Input Shaft Cup (2)

Edited to add:

I made my own as well after spending $120 on a custom spool.

2809E022-2DA2-4059-802A-B76427362B5D.jpeg

View attachment 80167

You need:
Spool Shaft
Input Shaft Cup (2)

Edited to add:

Are the cups 5mm or 8mm?

I made my own as well after spending $120 on a custom spool.

View attachment 156193

Are the cups 5mm or 8mm?
Those Outdrive Cups Grub Screws into CF kind of scare me. :rolleyes:

But a nice lightweight and long rear tail shaft setup there No doubt.(y)

Those Outdrive Cups Grub Screws into CF kind of scare me. :rolleyes:

But a nice lightweight and long rear tail shaft setup there No doubt.(y)
Grubs are going in the 8mm steel rod, CF is just a sleeve for looks. The one I made has been tested at 130mph + and held up fine. I'm using RamJam and Flopacks spools on most of my speed run rigs.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back