I have a feeling that this battery is puffed up but I’m not sure what to look for

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. RC

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 3s
I have this Lectron Pro 2s soft case battery and it looks pretty puffed up. It doesn’t sit flat on the table. Last time I used this was early January.

I’m not sure how to tell if the battery is toast and if it is could you guys tell me how to properly dispose it?

image.jpg

image.jpg

If the feel like they are full of air that's the pack decomposing. Which usually means it's on its way out. You may be also getting a sweet smell from the battery. If they are only swollen when hot or fully charged you might be able to get a bit more life from it.

If you want to play it safe set your charger on nimh and discharge it down to as close to 0v as possible.

I would get rid of it but I error on very safe side.

I have this Lectron Pro 2s soft case battery and it looks pretty puffed up. It doesn’t sit flat on the table. Last time I used this was early January.

I’m not sure how to tell if the battery is toast and if it is could you guys tell me how to properly dispose it?

View attachment 309362

View attachment 309363
Time to throw it up high in the sky ,take your shotgun and blow that bi+ch up👍

Is that safe to do? I love sporting clays.
It's only safe if you don't miss.thats why I suggested using your shot gun lol.if you miss run run run away hahaha.no seriously get it out of your house now plz.its 4th of July and I don't need to hear about you on the news ..plz don't take chances charging that junk.its not worth it bro.

It's only safe if you don't miss.thats why I suggested using your shot gun lol.if you miss run run run away hahaha.no seriously get it out of your house now plz.its 4th of July and I don't need to hear about you on the news ..plz don't take chances charging that junk.its not worth it bro.
I am a self taught hacker and decent with electronics but these lips seem different that everything I've learned about batteries.

Your lipos naturally puff up due to a naturally occurring phenomenal known as electrolyte decomposition
In the case of LiPo batteries, the polymeric nature of the electrolyte means that they also tend to produce carbon dioxide (CO2) and carbon monoxide (CO) when they decompose. The production of these gases is what causes a LiPo battery to expand and swell.

Is this caused by electrolyte decomposition? I've never used this battery, never charged it.

IMG_6260.jpeg

IMG_6261.jpeg

View attachment 309362

View attachment 309363
Don't those batteries have a lifetime warranty or something like that?

Your lipo is perfectly fine, this is normal swelling and part of the battery aging process. That is not puffing and people are overreacting imho.

If it looks like a balloon, it is time to get rid of it, but not in this condition.
Get yourself a charger or cell checker that can tell you the IR (Internal Resistance), that is the only value that matters.

This out gassing can happen and can also reverse itself. If you throw it away, all you will do is give more money to another Lipo vendor, but it's like throwing away 1-week-old butter, it will go bad eventually but still plenty of life in it.

Different story if they are visibly damaged or start to smell funny, that is an immediate discard.

Last edited:
Okay thanks for all your replies! Sorry that I also have gone MIA for a bit

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back