Granite Just bought one, turned off and it was really hot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skrrts

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
I just bought a granite 4x4, and i was having tons of fun, jumping it and stuff. All the sudden it stopped, i checked it, it was really hot. Do i need a fan? Or do i have a defect? Does it shutoff when really hot?

UPDATE: Seems like the battery died in about 5 minutes, is there a fix?

Last edited:
well u could get a. a battery with like a 5000 nimh or 2s lipo and for motor and esc I would just upgrade to a hobby wing system or castle I ran vxl in mine 4pole

well u could get a. a battery with like a 5000 nimh or 2s lipo and for motor and esc I would just upgrade to a hobby wing system or castle I ran vxl in mine 4pole
I could, But don't really feel like doing that since i just got it, but i could.

Yeah, sounds like mine. Run it on a hot day, thermals long before the batt is done. You know it has done a thermal shut down when it stops, does not respond to throttle inputs, can still steer, and has a blinking red light on the ESC. I think thermal shut down happens at 175 degrees F? Also, if you run LiPo batteries and use the lithium voltage shutoff function, your ESC will likely cut power with 3.8-ish volts per cell (which is what mine did). I went with a Hobby Wing system, no looking back now....maybe contact who you purchased it from and see what options they or Arrma can offer? Brushless 3S version is coming.

It's really kinda shameful. If all Mega 4x4s brushed systems function like this, then there is a problem that Arrma should do something about. I didn't complain, I just spent more dough on a brushless system (that kicks butt, by the way). Thinking back, I should have complainedt want to to Tower or Arrma. If you don't want to send it back, you might consider scoring a Traxxas XL5 ESC for not a lot of bread, and it might work better? That or a fan for the ESC?

Last edited:
Yeah, sounds like mine. Run it on a hot day, thermals long before the batt is done. You know it has done a thermal shut down when it stops, does not respond to throttle inputs, can still steer, and has a blinking red light on the ESC. I think thermal shut down happens at 175 degrees F? Also, if you run LiPo batteries and use the lithium voltage shutoff function, your ESC will likely cut power with 3.8-ish volts per cell (which is what mine did). I went with a Hobby Wing system, no looking back now....maybe contact who you purchased it from and see what options they or Arrma can offer? Brushless 3S version is coming.

It's really kinda shameful. If all Mega 4x4s brushed systems function like this, then there is a problem that Arrma should do something about. I didn't complain, I just spent more dough on a brushless system (that kicks butt, by the way). Thinking back, I should have complainedt want to to Tower or Arrma. If you don't want to send it back, you might consider scoring a Traxxas XL5 ESC for not a lot of bread, and it might work better? That or a fan for the ESC?
RN it doesn't even drive, only steering works. theres a red blinking light and thats it. I only used it for about 5-7 minutes total

Charge up the battery make sure the jumper on the esc is set to nimh if you are using a nimh jumper set set to lipo if it's a lipo you are using and try again. Quick check to see if the motor is ok hook power up directly to the motor leads and see if it spins (do this while wheels off the ground or take the motor out). If the battery is charged and the motor is not burned up and still no throttle the esc is probably toast. You could get a better brushed esc maybe a different brushed motor but heat will be an issue unless you drive like a old grandma driving to church (and wheres the fun in that). A mild brushless system say 2800-3100kv motor should work ok and not be too hard on plastic parts. Plus brushless motors can be had cheap almost the same as brushed motors depending on where you buy. You could cheap out and get cheap esc (Goolrc, Ocday) and a cheap brushless motor.

My Granite 4x4 is doing the same thing. Before I can get through 1 battery, the Esc goes into overheat mode. Starts working after it cools down. This even happened at night when it was not hot. I contacted Arrma via email... To get a generic response email to send all the info, pictures, receipt...etc. I have not replied yet because I'm not sure where I put the receipt, and how do you take a picture of an overheating ESC?

Any suggestions about a better way to communicate to them?

The problem here is the ESC is working fine, the motor is working fine, there is nothing to warrantee... They just spec'ed the wrong motor and ESC for the truck. Truck needs more power. The silly part -that 550 size 12t is a really strong motor for a brushed can, but still, the truck needs more. Or maybe a 12t pinion.

I was affraid of that being the case. Maybe Arrma will give us a discount on purchasing the blx brushless system they have in the new granite. Heres to hoping!

My Granite 4x4 is doing the same thing. Before I can get through 1 battery, the Esc goes into overheat mode. Starts working after it cools down. This even happened at night when it was not hot. I contacted Arrma via email... To get a generic response email to send all the info, pictures, receipt...etc. I have not replied yet because I'm not sure where I put the receipt, and how do you take a picture of an overheating ESC?

Any suggestions about a better way to communicate to them?

Call Horizon Hobby directly, they handle the Arrma products. Their phone number is 1-217-398-8970 and their email for support is [email protected]. If you bought your Arrma at a local hobby shop, you can have them hand write you out a receipt and provide that to Horizon for proof of purchase and they will accept that as legit.

This is very sad to hear about this ongoing issue with the Granite Mega 4x4. I own one and have the same issue, shut down after 5 minutes with blinking red light on ESC. Arrma replaced the ESC under warranty and the problem still existed. I sent the whole truck to them to check it and they found nothing wrong with it. They put one of their own 2200mah NIMH batteries in it and ran it till it died, about 7-8 minutes and didn't have an issue with it. So I am receiving it back from Fedex today and they are including the 2200mah battery they used at no charge to me. I will keep you all posted as to what happens.

Make sure your brushed motor still has all its fan blades. I ran mine in gravel and a rock got into the motor and it "detached" all my fan blades. Motor burned up and was dead in minutes.

Make sure your brushed motor still has all its fan blades. I ran mine in gravel and a rock got into the motor and it "detached" all my fan blades. Motor burned up and was dead in minutes.

My truck is newer, ran less than 10 times. I have only run it on my driveway and in the grass a little bit. I have had this overheating issue since I bought the truck. I wonder what Arrma would/could do to resolve this issue for me once and for all.

My truck is newer, ran less than 10 times. I have only run it on my driveway and in the grass a little bit. I have had this overheating issue since I bought the truck. I wonder what Arrma would/could do to resolve this issue for me once and for all.

Are you running lipo or Nimh?

Yeah, that sucks. Have you tried to add a fan? Not my favorite solution, but it has worked for some. You would need 2 - one for the ESC, and one for the motor...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back