Big Rock It was bound to happen.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cdnguy

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I was out with my Big Rock last night and everything was going great, then the motor moved slightly and decided to eat the spur gear.
My question is it worth changing to a metal gear or remain with plastic? The truck is stock and will probably remain mostly.

Metal is worth the money. A part you won't have to worry about cutting you day short.

Last edited:
Personally I like plastic spur gears...They are cheaper than other parts of your drive train. If your chewing up spur gears there are issues in your drive train, pinion mesh or motor placement but to each their own.

Personally I like plastic spur gears...They are cheaper than other parts of your drive train. If your chewing up spur gears there are issues in your drive train, pinion mesh or motor placement but to each their own.
I agree. I'd much rather replace a cheap plastic gear then replace more expensive gears or do damage in other areas.

Changing to metal spur is something you do IF you focus speedruns and will not subject your rig to lots of sudden stops/jolts from jump landings, bumps etc..

However, if you Bash more and tend to have the habit of landing under power or some other tumbling backflips or stunts..
Then stick with plastic spurs which is designed to be the sacrificial part and not send those forces/shocks further down the chain..
Plus, they're cheap.

Check out JennysRC.com to get cheap prices on OEM parts.

I was out with my Big Rock last night and everything was going great, then the motor moved slightly and decided to eat the spur gear.
My question is it worth changing to a metal gear or remain with plastic? The truck is stock and will probably remain mostly.
Stick with the plastic.no need to go with a steel spur gear..for the usage you do a plastic is fine enough..if you were to change that spur gear then you would also need to diffs also.

Metal or plastic, if your clutch is just a little to tight. Plastic spur or plastic axle joint will break. Stock clutch setting is just a little too tight. Out of the factory clutch setting on my son's granite keeped popping axle joints. Loosened to clutch and he stopped popping axle joints. The spur just wore out and changed to metal. Still haven't popped a axle joint running the metal spur. It's all about the clutch adjustment!!
And a metal spur sounds cool!!

ur
Metal or plastic, if your clutch is just a little to tight. Plastic spur or plastic axle joint will break. Stock clutch setting is just a little too tight. Out of the factory clutch setting on my son's granite keeped popping axle joints. Loosened to clutch and he stopped popping axle joints. The spur just wore out and changed to metal. Still haven't popped a axle joint running the metal spur. It's all about the clutch adjustment!!
And a metal spur sounds cool!!
Metal spur gear isn't about sounding cool.its about having a complete set up and yes having a good mesh is important.if you just add a metal spur gear and don't make the diffs strong enough energy will travel to the next weak link which would be the diffs if not modded to support that energy.been there ,done that.learned my lesson which costs time and money and aggrevation

Call me old school....I liked the old plate better for me. Yes it limits you but this is a 3S rig if I need more then I pull out the Kraton. Keeps the mesh set and I like the post that adds support to the back of the motor.

Good luck on a fix (y)

1694191365389.png

What is the cause of your motor moving slightly? Agreed with the above keep to stock
The stocker 4x4 Motor mount plate bends and gets tweaked with impacts. A common thing. This causes damaged/misaligned spurs and pinions. ( no matter Steel or plastic)

>>>I would be more concerned with upgrading this part first, whether you prefer steel or plastic spur gears. Steel spurs are not the answer, IMHO.
Being plastic is NOT the reason behind the real issue at hand.

And always use Blue threadlocker on the 2 motor mount meshing screws.
:cool:

Last edited:
Metal spur gear isn't about sounding cool.its about having a complete set up and yes having a good mesh is important.if you just add a metal spur gear and don't make the diffs strong enough energy will travel to the next weak link which would be the diffs if not modded to support that energy.been there ,done that.learned my lesson which costs time and money and aggrevation
Yes it does sound cool😎, I like noise not silence. Those stock plastic diff gears suck first thing I upgraded. I have a LOT of Irish in me WE LIKE NOISE🤪🙄😬

Yeah the 6s line of Arrmas are quite noiser. All steel gears throughout. The Exposed 6s spur and pinions (center diff) are what makes the loud growl.
The 4x4's Power Module, enclosing the spur and Pin., technically makes it quieter than any 6s platform.
With my Tekno MT410 I actually prefer the Plastic stock mod. 1 Spur, having tried the optional steel one before.

Last edited:
Yes it does sound cool😎, I like noise not silence. Those stock plastic diff gears suck first thing I upgraded. I have a LOT of Irish in me WE LIKE NOISE🤪🙄😬
Didn't say they don't sound cool.i said it's not about sounding cool

I tried to keep the plastic spur in the kids granite,But my youngest wasn't having it!! Like a broken record he was🤨why does mine sound different. When I explained, why does yours have metal and mine dosen't 🙇‍♂️🤷‍♂️
Had to quite him🤐🙄

Call me old school....I liked the old plate better for me. Yes it limits you but this is a 3S rig if I need more then I pull out the Kraton. Keeps the mesh set and I like the post that adds support to the back of the motor.

Good luck on a fix (y)

View attachment 321247
Nothing wrong with the stock 3s plates . problem I see is that people expect these rigs to do what a 6s rig does and they abuse the crap out of them then blame the engineering /design. Love it when I hear people complaining that this broke and that snapped 🤔 I wounder why lol..stop sending these small rigs 100 ft up and not expect something to break..common rc sense if you ask me ..if they enjoy spending unneeded money on repairs that could have been prevented then by all means keep doing it then lol.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back