Kraton K6 EXB broken planetary gear question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreatWhiteDope

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, was doing my first diff maintenance yesterday. Swapping oils and checking everything. Went with 60K front, 200k center and 30k rear.
Anyways, on one of the diffs I noticed a broken part and was wondering if anyone knew if I’d be ok to bash for a bit with it or if I should replace asap.
Thanks in advance

IMG_2486.jpeg

You could run it until the diff explodes, which it will eventually. That sort of break is often caused by landing jumps on throttle or brake.
Ahh ok. Was wondering what could have caused something like that. I’m still very new to the hobby.
And I’d prefer it to not explode lol so guess I’ll go ahead and get a replacement. Thanks man

Is this a new v2 EXB or v1? They improved the casting material recently as it was a common breakage on the v1 29mm diffs, what ESC/Motor are you running?

Is this a new v2 EXB or v1? They improved the casting material recently as it was a common breakage on the v1 29mm diffs, what ESC/Motor are you running?
Yah it’s the new one, the v2 im guessing. Got it back in mid January. And im still on the stock motor/ESC. One of the few things I haven’t changed or upgraded yet

@Dan B. hey another quick question, on my fireteam I found in the front and rear diffs the small pin that holds the out drive cups in were both snapped in multiple pieces. What causes that? poop landings to or what ya think?

@Dan B. hey another quick question, on my fireteam I found in the front and rear diffs the small pin that holds the out drive cups in were both snapped in multiple pieces. What causes that? poop landings to or what ya think?
Cross pins and the ears on back of planetary gears fracturing is a TORQUE issue ... Excessive or sudden spikes in drive line torque something will break starting with the weakest link ... case in point (y)

Cross pins and the ears on back of planetary gears fracturing is a TORQUE issue ... Excessive or sudden spikes in drive line torque something will break starting with the weakest link ... case in point (y)
Interesting, but good to know. I’ve got no idea when all these things broke. Also pretty sure every single one of my diffs were really under filled. So hopefully all this maintenance and some knowledge prevents anymore breakage!

Yah it’s the new one, the v2 im guessing. Got it back in mid January. And im still on the stock motor/ESC. One of the few things I haven’t changed or upgraded yet
Possibly old inventory, but for certainty if you don't want this to become a reoccurring issue I use all vitavon machined planetary/sun gears. Especially if you plan to increase overall power/tire speed/weight.

Possibly old inventory, but for certainty if you don't want this to become a reoccurring issue I use all vitavon machined planetary/sun gears. Especially if you plan to increase overall power/tire speed/weight.
Well I was literally just contemplating that, about vitavon. And I’ve got a good deal of M2C parts and others on the truck already so the weight is getting up there. Also been running those massive AF proline trencher X tires. Sure they’re not helping matters

Landing jumps on throttle or brake is the worst for diffs. It shocks the diffs and transfers the loads to the weakest point, which is normally the pins but you can also see sheared teeth on the planetary gears. Full brake at WOT can do it as well, especially in higher traction conditions and on heavier rigs. Land jumps on neutral throttle position and practice smooth transitions while bashing and your diffs will thank you.

Landing jumps on throttle or brake is the worst for diffs. It shocks the diffs and transfers the loads to the weakest point, which is normally the pins but you can also see sheared teeth on the planetary gears. Full brake at WOT can do it as well, especially in higher traction conditions and on heavier rigs. Land jumps on neutral throttle position and practice smooth transitions while bashing and your diffs will thank you.
More useful info for sure, appreciate that. Funny just the other day I was watching a clip I took out bashing. And on atleast 2 or 3 landings I said to myself, damn I need to get better at that.
I’d say I’ve improved a decent bit but long ways to go. Haven’t broken any A arms in a while, or lower hinge pins (thx M2C). Mainly just get busted turnbuckle ends now.

More useful info for sure, appreciate that. Funny just the other day I was watching a clip I took out bashing. And on atleast 2 or 3 landings I said to myself, damn I need to get better at that.
I’d say I’ve improved a decent bit but long ways to go. Haven’t broken any A arms in a while, or lower hinge pins (thx M2C). Mainly just get busted turnbuckle ends now.
Dude, I’m going to be honest…I gave up on big sends. Too much carnage while I was learning air control, and I apparently don’t have the innate skill and/or experience to emulate those tubers out there without serious damage. When every big landing was judged on out of pocket expense and wrenching time instead of cool points, I was like…nope. Not anymore.

Back