K6S EXB OPEN vs Limited Slip

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Kraton 8S
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Outcast 8s
During my last bash I could heard the sweet sounds of grinding gears (diffs!).

With K6S on stand, I could spin one rear tire whilst the other remained still. I figured this was the diff that needed love. After opening up the diff it appeared bone dry.

I inspected the gears and added 1mil diff oil in. (is this to heavy for LSD?)
After assembly, when one tire spins the other spins in the same direction. (should it not be opposite?)

Question: Is this a result of LSD action or do I need to rethink my diff gear packing skills.

R/
Still having fun

If new out the box , 99% of all diffs are always low/ underfilled. Need to always check them before any maiden run.
Yeah LSD diffs and much thicker oil, doesn't work best. Only with Open diffs, thickness is used to dial them in better. With LSD diffs, thinner oil "closer" to stock weight has been best for most. LSD diffs are dialed in by the placement of the LSD plates during assy. There are 2 stages to choose from.
I feel Open is best. The LSD's do have stronger more stout Input and Main gears sover the standard Open ones. You can make LSD diffs fully OPEN with the Arrma Open diff Shim option kit. One kit for each diff is needed.
1 million cst is rather too thick for the front and rear diffs. Even if they are Open diffs. At Center, if its Open, it can serve well for some.(n)
There is a learning curve with LSD diffs. Attention to detail is key. The approach is different than Open ones. Assy. is way different.
I think Arrma is getting away from LSD diffs, IMHO. They have discontinued many of the EXB LSD line platforms.
I like mine open. I'm old school.
The below Arrma video may help better, if you haven't seen this one yet. And there are others
Good luck.:cool:

I'd imagine (providing something isn't broken) the wheel wasn't turning the first time as the diff was super open, and now both are turning the same way as the diff is all but fully locked with 1m weight

Even with 1 Mil. both both wheels would/ should spin opposite.
Just why did you even go with 1Mil???:unsure:
Need to learn more about how LSD diffs work. Staging of the LSD plates etc.
Staying with stock cst oil first.

Even with 1 Mil. both both wheels would/ should spin opposite.
Just why did you even go with 1Mil???:unsure:
Need to learn more about how LSD diffs work. Staging of the LSD plates etc.
Staying with stock cst oil first.
In my experience, when super heavy diff fluid is used both wheels spin in the same direction. It essentially locks the diff, at least under no-load conditions.

If new out the box , 99% of all diffs are always low/ underfilled. Need to always check them before any maiden run.
Yeah LSD diffs and much thicker oil, doesn't work best. Only with Open diffs, thickness is used to dial them in better. With LSD diffs, thinner oil "closer" to stock weight has been best for most. LSD diffs are dialed in by the placement of the LSD plates during assy. There are 2 stages to choose from.
I feel Open is best. The LSD's do have stronger more stout Input and Main gears sover the standard Open ones. You can make LSD diffs fully OPEN with the Arrma Open diff Shim option kit. One kit for each diff is needed.
1 million cst is rather too thick for the front and rear diffs. Even if they are Open diffs. At Center, if its Open, it can serve well for some.(n)
There is a learning curve with LSD diffs. Attention to detail is key. The approach is different than Open ones. Assy. is way different.
I think Arrma is getting away from LSD diffs, IMHO. They have discontinued many of the EXB LSD line platforms.
I like mine open. I'm old school.
The below Arrma video may help better, if you haven't seen this one yet. And there are others
Good luck.:cool:

@SrC thanks for the run down. I’m thinking I should do a conversion from LSD to open.

https://www.amazon.com/ARRMA-Diff-S...f4019e35133e0eccfd79323&qid=1652744963&sr=8-2 ARA311094 part number

Open to forum hazing for considering this option. Lol

My application. Turn and burn with speed predictability and confidence. Bash hard and enjoy it. The heavy Diff oil definitely made the turn radius increase.

@SrC thanks for the run down. I’m thinking I should do a conversion from LSD to open.

https://www.amazon.com/ARRMA-Diff-S...f4019e35133e0eccfd79323&qid=1652744963&sr=8-2 ARA311094 part number

Open to forum hazing for considering this option. Lol

My application. Turn and burn with speed predictability and confidence. Bash hard and enjoy it. The heavy Diff oil definitely made the turn radius increase.
Yeah thicker oil at front and rear will limit steering. You will need to "power steer" mores so. How most steer these when bashing. Normal.
Best to keep the rear oil approx half of the front diff. For best steering control/bias.
With my 6s Open diffs, I generally run 60Fr. /500k center/20-30k Rear. As the rig tends to get heavier, I will up the Center oil cst even more. Some will go to 1 Mil. at center. Personal preference. 500k is a good place to start at the center. Go from there.
Try going all Open.
At the very least, Open at the front and rear diffs. And Rear should always be Open IMHO, if anything.
>>>How Arrma originally released the EXB Roller Kraton. Rear diff was shimmed Open out the box from the factory. Just that there were issues with the shimming initially. So they just made them all LSD. The rear LSD plates were supposedly just "staged" with less Slip.
The LSD Open shim kits became an option much later on. Because many were trying to shim them to be open.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back