Large Street Tires?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sevin7

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
The stock Outcast tires are 6.77" tall. I want to buy some street tires that I can quickly swap out for running on the road but all of the ones I've found so far are much smaller than the stock tires which makes the car look silly, lowers ground clearance (that I need for driveway bumps), and most important reduces speed (I'm not changing gears every time I want to run on the street).

So far the largest street tires I've found are the SRC road crushers (5.59" tall). Does anyone know of larger street tires? I'm hoping for something close to 6.5" tall.

What gear are you trying to run with them???? If you are trying to run a big gear stick with Road Crushers, the performance is amazing, they are belted (and heavy) so you gotta keep a close eye on your temps!!!

I want to run stock gearing, 12t for my outcast. Ib found the duratrax bandito are 6.5" but they balloon like crazy so I'm not interested in them (they are also excessively wide and heavy).

Gotcha.... not sure why your lookin for a taller on road tire, the Road Crushers are a BLAST with stock gearing and handle like a dream....just saying...I can still backflip on asphalt with my Notorious with those tires.....And they are great for drifting, they have no "sidewall roll" whatsoever...

Just buy a second set of Backflips, one for the pavement and one for dirt/grass only.

IMG_7866.JPG

Once you wear down the street set, they handle a lot better imo and balloon less without the added mass from the tall knobbies

Someone else suggested SRC Road Crushers, I 2nd that, i have a couple sets and they are really good.

TT

backflips are great on asphalt too they drift nice and you always have the wheelie/backflip action on command i own 3 sets only downfall is hard sideways landings from BIG AIR will tear your sidewalls and trash your tires beyond repair....remember, it's a hobby and can be very pricey!!!

Just buy a second set of Backflips, one for the pavement and one for dirt/grass only.

View attachment 22829

Once you wear down the street set, they handle a lot better imo and balloon less without the added mass from the tall knobbies

@Mr.Duke I was considering that. I like how the backflips handle on the road, their lack of traction is fun (lots of drifting, no traction rolling). Do you know about how many hours you drove your backflips on the street for until they wore down to where they are at in the picture you posted (the ones on the left side)?

Using road crushers will reduce my top speed from 51MPH to 42MPH (I am not changing my gear to drive on the street). I'm starting to think that I can live with 42MPH so I might consider this route as there doesn't appear to be any large street tires that don't require a 24mm hex or have ballooning problems. For me tread-wear is far more important than traction, I actually consider a lack of traction on the street to be fun. For that reason I'm also considering SRC terrain crushers as they are 0.2" taller than road crushers and appear to have tread that could last longer on the street (traction is likely worse on road but I don't care).

@TooTall @Spar69! do you guys have an estimate of how many hours of street driving you put into your road crushers before the tread gets so thin that the tires will pop? I'm talking about spirited road driving with lots of slidingo_O.

Anyone have both road crushers and terrain crushers? If so, can you comment on how the terrain crushers work on the street compared to the road crushers and if the tread on the terrain crushers lasts longer on the street than the road crushers?

Buenos dias, queria montarle a mi kraton unas ruedas mas anchas y grandes que las que trae de serie, y me gustaria saber si al ser mas Grandes, el coche sufriria mas, si se calentaria mas el motor y esc. Solo ruedo a 3s y por terreno malo de monte, un saludo y gracias

I decided I'm staying away from all SRC tires. I found too many threads about premature failure (more for the terrain crusher than road crusher) and a complete lack of support from SRC.

Threads full of negative reviews for SRC tires:

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/sweep-terrain-crusher-tire-issues.3390/

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/src-terrain-crusher.6001/

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/src-ugh.5010/#post-48967

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/terrain-crushers.7152/

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/src-roadcrusher-rims-durability.4124/

The pro-line road rage tires have massive ballooning issues so they are out. The Duratrax bandito have even worse ballooning issues so they are out. I'm starting to think a second set of backflips may be the best option, the only thing I need to find out is how fast do they wear out on the road. I've drove my Outcast for about 2 hours total, the first 1 hour and 40 minutes was off-road and the tires had almost no wear. The last 20 minutes was on the street and they wore down significantly. I don't care if the tires are bald or close to bald for street driving so long as they still function.

@Mr.Duke I was considering that. I like how the backflips handle on the road, their lack of traction is fun (lots of drifting, no traction rolling). Do you know about how many hours you drove your backflips on the street for until they wore down to where they are at in the picture you posted (the ones on the left side)?

It's difficult for me to estimate the amount of pavement time on that set, just because they were dual purpose for most of their life.
If I had to guess.... maybe 20-30 packs of pavement time (?)
I've definitely gotten my money's worth out of them, and they're still holding up to 65+mph speed runs

Are the Louise I posted above not available in the US? Huge, 6s capable, 100% road... Just quite heavy, bit for the rest they are perfect.

With the src road crushers, you have to pinion up about 3 teeth for the same top speed. With that said, it is well worth the few minutes to change pinion gear and set lash. The road crushers have been great for me, awesome traction, awesome wear and they handle so well. At 70 plus they make my Talion easier to control than the backflips at 50 mph.

If you want a tire that can go off road and handle the road well too, the stock Talion Tires are sweet. I have run them up to 70 mph, and they do balloon, but not too bad as the sidewall is smaller. They are super light and they are just fun because you can hit some grass and dirt with nice traction then go to the road and pull 70mph!!

Using road crushers will reduce my top speed from 51MPH to 42MPH (I am not changing my gear to drive on the street). I'm starting to think that I can live with 42MPH so I might consider this route as there doesn't appear to be any large street tires that don't require a 24mm hex or have ballooning problems. For me tread-wear is far more important than traction, I actually consider a lack of traction on the street to be fun. For that reason I'm also considering SRC terrain crushers as they are 0.2" taller than road crushers and appear to have tread that could last longer on the street (traction is likely worse on road but I don't care).

@TooTall @Spar69! do you guys have an estimate of how many hours of street driving you put into your road crushers before the tread gets so thin that the tires will pop? I'm talking about spirited road driving with lots of slidingo_O.

Anyone have both road crushers and terrain crushers? If so, can you comment on how the terrain crushers work on the street compared to the road crushers and if the tread on the terrain crushers lasts longer on the street than the road crushers?
I have both ,sweeps,crushers. I run sweeps where I can find the the newer cleaner asfault,an any other surface for crushers. Sweeps are for when I want Indy style handling. Crushers for multi surface,have old an fresh stock tires also. Going to get new 6s also this spring. When I want big air,fly my plane,lands on wheels more often with out busting apart.

Last edited:

I've got both src terrain crushers as well as the road crushers. IMO they are both really great sets to have around for those occasional on road running(or mixed terrain with terrain crushers but nothing too serious bo real airtime or alot of stone/rocky terrain) . I've noticed the road crushers wear a bit more quickly but that can be expected as there's just less rubber/treas but neither seemed to show an unusual rate of wear(I don't used them consistently but they do get some use and only decided to use some black rubberized CA glue(bobs Smith is the brand) when I notice a small area start to pull from the rim. There's a very nice combination of traction to slide ratio so that if you punch it even at speeds either set will be able to pull the front end up(in some cases I was doing 40 mph wheelies with my outcast 6s no prob). If I really had to chose only one if these two tread patterns 8de most likely go with terrain crushers over the road crushers due to tge additional/more aggressive tread. I'm actually in search of a single used/new Terrain crusher as I drifted too close to a full scale charger messing around racing and tge "double spoke" rim is slightly bent to where I can use it and I'm surprised it's not flat as a pancake considering it was rolled over by a full size vehicle @ about 60+. There's also newer designs similar to these two pair of largr diameter wheels similar ro these SRC lo profile belted 9nes if anyone's reading this in 2021. I believe "power hobby" has released full sets of their own "road crusher" type of tread pattern maybe other options also, so may want yo look into the more recent release of options to SRC slyhough they really are/have been performing well for me. The large diameter/low profile design of rc wheels/tires aren't produced in as many varieties/by many diff companies but I suggest that if you own an arrma 1/8 and you do any road bashing 9n a relatively flat hard surface that you get a set as they are alot 9f fun to mount and be out ripping up parking lots in little time. Very lightweight and I've had some older sets of road crushers that I got to about 80mph maybe a bit more without a blowout but don't suggest them for any serious speed runs over 65+ (not sure what they are rated to but anything under 65 shouldn't be a problem and really make parking lots much more appealing). Hope that helps someone back in 2018 lol 🍻

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back