DIY belted tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Start with separate wheels and tires. Flip the tires inside out, clean with alcohol, scuff with grey 3M sanding pads, wipe with alcohol again, and gorilla duct tape evenly. Then use heat gun to smooth out the tape at the edges as much as possible. Be careful not to burn yourself. It's hot. Flip tires back around and glue on wheels. It works. Certain ARRMA tires won't work as some of them have ribbing inside. Make sure the tires are smooth on the inner walls.

Start with separate wheels and tires. Flip the tires inside out, clean with alcohol, scuff with grey 3M sanding pads, wipe with alcohol again, and gorilla duct tape evenly. Then use heat gun to smooth out the tape at the edges as much as possible. Be careful not to burn yourself. It's hot. Flip tires back around and glue on wheels. It works. Certain ARRMA tires won't work as some of them have ribbing inside. Make sure the tires are smooth on the inner walls.
Awesome...thanks for advice

Recently did this using nylon braid sash/shutter cord.
Taking the only two paths around tread where cord was firmly against carcass of tire.
Cross knot got a dot of CA glue, finish to a square knot and another dot of CA clue, trim back the knot tag ends, melt & done (y)

BTW, these Dboots Backflip LP's ..... Way way way TOO MUCH Ballooning happening hoping to mitigate some of it.

b2.jpg

Taking the only two paths around tread where cord was firmly against carcass of tire.
Cross knot got a dot of CA glue, finish to a square knot and another dot of CA clue, trim back the knot tag ends, melt & done (y)

BTW, these Dboots Backflip LP's ..... Way way way TOO MUCH Ballooning happening hoping to mitigate some of it.

View attachment 356656
Follow up ... INDEED it helped, especially keeping tire from pulling away at the glue bead. While tread in the mid tire still wants to balloon to some degree, it is less than half what the tire balloons without the cord wraps.
As mid tread does grow outward the side walls just lean inward a bit, but don't grow or stretch radially.

Doing a gear up and some faster asphalt passes, there is no pulling left or right, no odd vibrations happening either being much more stable overall.

1oo,ooo dollar question ? ... how long will the cords hold up :unsure:

Follow up ... INDEED it helped, especially keeping tire from pulling away at the glue bead. While tread in the mid tire still wants to balloon to some degree, it is less than half what the tire balloons without the cord wraps.
As mid tread does grow outward the side walls just lean inward a bit, but don't grow or stretch radially.

Doing a gear up and some faster asphalt passes, there is no pulling left or right, no odd vibrations happening either being much more stable overall.

1oo,ooo dollar question ? ... how long will the cords hold up :unsure:
Can't you just get belted tires? 🤷‍♂️

That is best. Many of the belted MT tires (especially 3.8's on up) are way too heavy, however. The tape method (although not lightweight) can still be lighter. Taped low profile 3.8 MT's are a decent compromise. Cheap 1/10th scale SCT tires (like for a Senton 6s) might be worth doing the tape method.

All i have ( As Stated ) is a set of LP's.
In the future will use something else most likely ???

I use filament strapping tape. Lighter than duct tape. Been using it for years on my 1/8 buggies.
Premounted tires ... not an option in this case :cry:
I too use filament tape within my Typhons buggy tires .. works great !!

All valid. Use anything that works you. For sure.

View attachment 356656
Pretty cool idea 👍

Bash raced today with my son burning threw 3 batteries. Cords held tough and the handling was VERY consistent once one adapted to the handling.
No pulling L/ R or odd behavior noted, minimal ballooning being really a pleasure to drive while pushing it :D
If the cords wear out fast, maybe using some Kevlar string might provide a bit better wear resistance.

Back